Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

"Choir Boy" season is over for Otis and the Magic - Re: Rafer

When the trade went down yesterday my co-worker told me he thought it was a good deal for us...he also mentioned that Alston has had some legal problems and or police records...I told him that was unusal because the Magic organization usually shies away from players like that.

We checked today...here's what we found:

quote:

On Sunday morning, August 5, 2007, Alston was arrested in downtown Houston on misdemeanor charges of assault and public intoxication.[3] He was arrested again in the early hours of Tuesday, August 28 in New York on charges of allegedly slashing a man on the neck during a nightclub altercation.[4] Neither the club owner, police, nor security tapes have provided any evidence of the incident occurring.[5]

The charges brought against Rafer Alston for the incident that took place on August 5, 2007 were dropped on February 29, 2008. [6]

"We went into court, and the DA office indicated that all charges be dismissed based on their investigation," Al Ebanks (Alston's Lawyer) said. "They did not feel this is a case that should go forward. We're obviously pleased with the outcome, as pleased as can be when the case had no merit and understand should never have been charged in the first place."

"Al and a lot of my family members were worried if I could go on with the season, would it be on my mind," Alston said. "When you know you didn't do anything, I just waited for it to be over and came in and focused on basketball.

"You can deal with things when you know you didn't do it. Now the whole case is over with, and they want to keep it silent. I was on the front page when it happened.

"Now when it's dropped they want to keep it silent. That's OK. I can deal with that. That's not who I am."[7]

He was arrested again on August 7, 2008, and charged with DWI.

You guys that have been getting on Otis because he says no to players with shady history...you got your wish.

As for me, if he can bring the effort and performance consistently...I don't care...never did.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R...lston#Legal_troubles

When the trade went down yesterday my co-worker told me he thought it was a good deal for us...he also mentioned that Alston has had some legal problems and or police records...I told him that was unusal because the Magic organization usually shies away from players like that.

We checked today...here's what we found:

quote:

On Sunday morning, August 5, 2007, Alston was arrested in downtown Houston on misdemeanor charges of assault and public intoxication.[3] He was arrested again in the early hours of Tuesday, August 28 in New York on charges of allegedly slashing a man on the neck during a nightclub altercation.[4] Neither the club owner, police, nor security tapes have provided any evidence of the incident occurring.[5]

The charges brought against Rafer Alston for the incident that took place on August 5, 2007 were dropped on February 29, 2008. [6]

"We went into court, and the DA office indicated that all charges be dismissed based on their investigation," Al Ebanks (Alston's Lawyer) said. "They did not feel this is a case that should go forward. We're obviously pleased with the outcome, as pleased as can be when the case had no merit and understand should never have been charged in the first place."

"Al and a lot of my family members were worried if I could go on with the season, would it be on my mind," Alston said. "When you know you didn't do anything, I just waited for it to be over and came in and focused on basketball.

"You can deal with things when you know you didn't do it. Now the whole case is over with, and they want to keep it silent. I was on the front page when it happened.

"Now when it's dropped they want to keep it silent. That's OK. I can deal with that. That's not who I am."[7]

He was arrested again on August 7, 2008, and charged with DWI.

You guys that have been getting on Otis because he says no to players with shady history...you got your wish.

As for me, if he can bring the effort and performance consistently...I don't care...never did.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R...lston#Legal_troubles

Somehow, what should have just been an informative post comes off as if you are trying to pick a fight.

I hope I read that wrong.

Moving on...I am glad to see that what is needed on the court has trumped what may have happened in the past off the court. Too many of our own players have been involved in stuff over the years for us to shun all players who did something while with other teams.

Alston is likely very happy to be here and should enjoy his time here. We have a solid front office and coaching staff in place - not to mention the players in the locker room - who will keep Alston in line.

JJ was charged with a DUI..Didn't even Darrell Armstrong get arrested in Downtown after an altercation with an officer?

We had Patrick, we signed Shawn "every one's baby daddy" Kemp a few years back. Traded for a headcase in Gooden, Francis, etc.

I don't think the team has really been that careful, I think its just the public's perception that we are.

I am glad we found a guy to help out.

I had already accepted finishing the season playing .500 ball...which sucks after such a great start, but it was reality...Hopefully we can do a little better than that now.

quote:
Originally posted by davcivic:

JJ was charged with a DUI..Didn't even Darrell Armstrong get arrested in Downtown after an altercation with an officer?

We had Patrick, we signed Shawn "every one's baby daddy" Kemp a few years back. Traded for a headcase in Gooden, Francis, etc.

I don't think the team has really been that careful, I think its just the public's perception that we are.

I am glad we found a guy to help out.

I had already accepted finishing the season playing .500 ball...which sucks after such a great start, but it was reality...Hopefully we can do a little better than that now.

lol good points. whatever i don't trust people who don't drink either way, it is however very cheap and easy to get drunk in downtown orlando, lets just hope they bring an entourage with them or something.

patiently waiting for someone to shoot the 'cheap and easy' remark back at me.

and i'm starting to realize trends on how the magic are attaining/drafting players, clee/alston looks like a coach's decison, aj and lue look like our same old boring 'management' decision.

quote:
Originally posted by Live or Die Magic:

Somehow, what should have just been an informative post comes off as if you are trying to pick a fight.

I hope I read that wrong.

What on earth are you talking about?...I'm glad the Magic organization traded for a guy that could be perceived as a shady character...you and I both with names like Tinsley and Marbury being frequextly mentioned with the Magic that Otis stance has been character counts...we also know the organization has been very careful whom they suround a very young and impressionable Dwight with.

The way you worded this line

quote:

Makes it sound like you are criticizing Otis for past actions or non actions that bothered you, and that you don't agree with it...I think its the you got your wish comment...

I think it just comes off wrong...

Regardless, I am glad he is here, hope he works out good...Maybe all he needed was just a little Magic to behave...lol PUNS!!