Sign in to follow this  
bhnole

Magic trade for Veteran PG Rafer Alston!

quote:
Originally posted by Ryan-Aussie Magic:

Here's an old chestnut....Fran for back up PF haha

Yeah who knows we might have him next year. That would be a boost...hopefully.

we will likely have him for this year and half of next year

we might trade his valueble expiring contract a year from now, especially if we are able to draft a decent backup PG like Darren Collison, or sign a young one in free agency

quote:
BS

Way to pull the trigger, Otis Smith. The playoffs are back on for Orlando.

The Magic picking up Rafer Alston might not be a blockbuster, but it gives hope to Magic fans that we are playing to win this season. This move's got me so fired up I can almost forget that I might not have a job next week

That would be icing on the cake...

This trade looks very good on paper. I hope he will mesh well with the rest of the team.

Now Hedo can go back to being the part-time play maker, and maybe relax a bit. He had been under a lot of stress lately.

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

I like the deal!

I love Lowry, but he's not a starting caliber pg. Alston is a decent starter and will be a very solid backup when Jameer returns. He also pushes the ball.

This does make the paniced trade for Lou look really stupid and amateurish, but in the end it's irrelevant. We got ride of Cook and that's reason enough to rejoice.

exactly, we could have used bogans for a pf or something. or maybe just used bogans and cook for alton.

quote:
Originally posted by BRich:

NBA on TNT crew liked the move. Not sure it gets us out the East - but feel like it gets us over the "hump."

I know, I love to hear it. Basically Kenny & Charles think the Magic have "caught up" with Cleveland, if not passed them. I sort of agree. We still have to prove we can beat Boston head-to-head this season while we've proven we can beat Cleveland on either of our courts consistently the past 2-3 seasons.

Above all else, I think there's no doubt we've fortified our stranglehold on third place and as kings in the SE division once again.

quote:
Originally posted by Skywise316:

quote:
Originally posted by BRich:

NBA on TNT crew liked the move. Not sure it gets us out the East - but feel like it gets us over the "hump."

I know, I love to hear it. Basically Kenny & Charles think the Magic have "caught up" with Cleveland, if not passed them. I sort of agree. We still have to prove we can beat Boston head-to-head this season while we've proven we can beat Cleveland on either of our courts consistently the past 2-3 seasons.

Above all else, I think there's no doubt we've fortified our stranglehold on third place and as kings in the SE division once again.

I missed it, but i'm suprised to hear that from them. I still don't want to see Detroit in the first round though...

quote:
Originally posted by Kberto:

I don't know how anyone could not like this trade...

Exactly.

Lots of pros in this trade.

1. Upgrade at point. Badly needed.

2. Much better passer than Jameer. Will get Dwight a lot of scoring opportunities. Clearly lacking with Jameer's game. Don't get me wrong, but Alston is a really good passer and can easily recognize the disadvantage at the post.

3. Really good 3 point shooter.

4. Familiarity with SVG. As a matter of fact, breakout year under SVG.

5. We get an asset for the hyped 2010 FA Summer.

6. Who knows, if he and Jameer can play together, we'll have a really good rotation especially since they bring different dimensions to the game, which will make our team a lot harder to stop.

Cons

1. We lose a 1st.

7. Knows how to play with a dominant big guy.

quote:
Originally posted by FENDI:

quote:
Originally posted by Kberto:

I don't know how anyone could not like this trade...

Exactly.

Lots of pros in this trade.

1. Upgrade at point. Badly needed.

2. Much better passer than Jameer. Will get Dwight a lot of scoring opportunities. Clearly lacking with Jameer's game. Don't get me wrong, but Alston is a really good passer and can easily recognize the disadvantage at the post.

3. Really good 3 point shooter.

4. Familiarity with SVG. As a matter of fact, breakout year under SVG.

5. We get an asset for the hyped 2010 FA Summer.

6. Who knows, if he and Jameer can play together, we'll have a really good rotation especially since they bring different dimensions to the game, which will make our team a lot harder to stop.

Cons

1. We lose a 1st.

I LOVE IT ! ! ! !

Rafer brings some toughness too, don't forget. I felt like we were lacking a bit in the attitude department when Jameer went down. Not that Rafer is Dennis Rodman or anything, but we definitely needed a jump start.

This was our jump start.

I'm very excited about bringing Alston in here!