Sign in to follow this  
bhnole

Magic trade for Veteran PG Rafer Alston!

quote:
Originally posted by ma:

7. Knows how to play with a dominant big guy.

Skip will definitely have a big impact on D12, Lewis, and Hedo game. The guy is a very underrated playmaker.

I think it was a good deal. I am so relieved that we have a solid, reliable starting point guard for the remainder of the season.

We do lose some depth in the front court though.

Now we can't afford to lose ANY of our big men.

This gives me hope that we can again make a lot of noise in the playoffs.

quote:
Originally posted by CoachTsurfing:

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

I like the deal!

I love Lowry, but he's not a starting caliber pg. Alston is a decent starter and will be a very solid backup when Jameer returns. He also pushes the ball.

This does make the paniced trade for Lou look really stupid and amateurish, but in the end it's irrelevant. We got ride of Cook and that's reason enough to rejoice.

exactly, we could have used bogans for a pf or something. or maybe just used bogans and cook for alton.

I don't think it was a bad trade. First of all, in retrospect is easy to judge it but in real time Otis had to get someone here to back up AJ. As Jameer's replacement, I agree that Lue was a poor substitute, but as a second or third stringer, he's ok.

It's such a minor trade sending our third or fourth option at SG for a second or third option at PG. Seems like a good minor deal that balanced our roster.

A question here. We all know Wilks is out for the season, but he's being traded to the Grizzlies in this deal? Are they forced to give him a physical or can they not since he's not in their plans and they don't really care? I was just thinking about Wilks obiviously failing a physical and possibly ruining the deal.

I think this is a great trade. Rafer does what the team has been missing since Meer went down, and that is dribble penetration. We have 2 guys next year that defenders have trouble stealing the ball away from. Rafer also can play D, and his PPG is misleading because he has to hand the ball to Tracy, Artest, and Yao. With him D12 will get all his touches.

I am not concerned about losing the 25 - 27 pick in the draft, and yes we have 2 TE we can use to pick up a pick in the 15 - 22 range.

Plus we have 2 roster spots open to pick up guys that get bought out or waived like Joe Smith.

Plus $10 mill in expiring contracts....

plus, plus, plus, plus... I see no negatives, except the Lue trade was not needed, but he may be the back up behind Alston.

I have met Jameer and have had conversation with him a few times. This guy is so strong, physically and mentally, that I would not be surprised if he is back by April, or the second round of the playoffs.

quote:
Originally posted by FreedomFighter420:

I think it was a good deal. I am so relieved that we have a solid, reliable starting point guard for the remainder of the season.

We do lose some depth in the front court though.

Now we can't afford to lose ANY of our big men.

This gives me hope that we can again make a lot of noise in the playoffs.

I am only concerned about Foyle being able to "veto" this trade, a la Stackhouse last year with the "Bird Rights" issue. I don't know how much effect this actually has on our depth - considering how much PT either Cook or Foyle has actually had. I think Adonal is a great locker room guy, and if he is bought out, Otis might bring him back for that reason; but he might not with the luxury tax looming. Even if he did re-sign Foyle after a buy-out, that would still leave us with an empty roster space. I don't expect Otis to use it unless there is a player available that he really thinks will put us "over the top" though. We are very close to the luxury tax right now, even with only 13 players. This trade actually gives us about $85K of extra "wiggle" room; $5.1M out, $4.9M back, prorated for the rest of the season. I think you will see us stick with 13 players on our roster, barring injury or a "can't miss" big.

Does anyone know if Wilks was being paid by the team or was insurance picking up 80%?

woohoo, very nyce. we basically gave up cook/1st/fillers for alston.

alston>>>>>>>1st rounder

nothing>>>>>>>cook

fillers>>>>>>>>???

and our pg depth next year would be good. very nyce trade for us

So next season it looks like we'll have

Nelson-Alston

Lee-Pietrus

Turk-Pietrus

Lewis-Battie

Howard-???

I can't think of a better point guard tandem and I think that Battie will be an asset, with his what, 6 million dollar contract?

Also, anyone want to explain how we could buy a first round pick with our TPE? And what is a TPE?

Considering in the last two games Rafer had 24 assists I think this is a great trade plus he's 6'2". Lowery is 6' and getting 3 assists a game I think that Otis Smith pulled off a great trade and he got rid of Cook wow.

Hello Magic Fans!

I am a Rockets fan. Just wanted to say Congrats on the trade. The Magic are my 2nd favorite team in the NBA. I love supporting Rashard Lewis (Houstonian)

Anyway this trade really upgrades the PG position for the Magic. Even though that is not saying much because of Johnson and Lue.

Do I see the Magic winning it all with this lineup? No I don't

I think Rafer is a great vocal leader. He brings that veteran role but honestly almost every single Rocket fan hated Rafer Alston.

Why?

Well simply because he gets burned every night by all the elite pgs. Rafer takes some of the most horrible fast break shots ever. He pulls up to jack threes. I know the Magic live and die by the three. Some nights he will have 1-10 shooting, some nights 5-6 from the three. Basically another Hedo.

I think its still better than anything you guys have right now but I don't know how this deal will make you guys feel at the end of the season.

I hope he does well on the Magic. Ask me any questions if you want.

quote:
Originally posted by Miller4Prez64:

A question here. We all know Wilks is out for the season, but he's being traded to the Grizzlies in this deal? Are they forced to give him a physical or can they not since he's not in their plans and they don't really care? I was just thinking about Wilks obiviously failing a physical and possibly ruining the deal.

Trading Wilks makes great sense because his contract is not counted against the other teams cap, but you can trade the value of his contract to make this trade work and because he was injured his contract is paid by insurance trading him is a plus plus for both teams. And no he doesn't have to have a physical.