Sign in to follow this  
bhnole

Magic trade for Veteran PG Rafer Alston!

quote:
Originally posted by gporter:

Why is everybody saying the Lue trade was a mistake? If anything the trade is better now, because it will allow our backup PG position to be competetive (Johnson, Lue) and Lue is an expiring just like Bogans so it really doesn't matter.

Not to mention the emergence of JJ after the trade.

Yes, JJ played well after the Bogans trade.

But Lue didn't.

rafer is just the kind of player ive thought this team has needed and otis has never been interested in for awhile. i love our guys to death but we are known for having pretty boy type of players. now we have someone who can help maybe shed that image a little. never thought i would say this but finally, someone without a squeaky clean record. lets just hope rafer doesnt do anymore of this

quote:

Why is everybody saying the Lue trade was a mistake? If anything the trade is better now, because it will allow our backup PG position to be competetive (Johnson, Lue) and Lue is an expiring just like Bogans so it really doesn't matter.

Chasing Alston and JJ around the perimeter will be not so much fun for defenses.

I agree, I think Lue and Johnson will have to fight it out for back up minutes, if they get that. Lue will come off the books, so no problems.

quote:
Originally posted by dullalive:

quote:

Yes, JJ played well after the Bogans trade.

But Lue didn't.

Lue also just joined the team, and is still getting an understanding for the offense SVG is trying to run, not to mention defense.

I like everything Otis has done in the wake of the Nelson injury. Spot on.

GO OTIS!!!

I don't think anyone mentioned this but the other plus to getting Alston is that even though he has a hard edge to him on the court, I think he will fit right into the chemistry of this team in the lockeroom and during the game.

The more I think about this trade, the more I'm impressed by Otis on this one. Salvaging the season, future capspace, getting rid of dead weight, setting us up for next year, chemistry, etc. Either he really knew what he was doing, or he just got lucky with this move in fixing a bunch of things at once.

quote:
Originally posted by Ryan-Aussie Magic:

quote:
Originally posted by Magician09:

I'm still trying to figure out how this trade works since Houston is only trading Rafer Alston but are getting 4 players back in return.

I understand that they can release Wilks and Foyle once the trade is complete but don't they need to have the roster space in the first place in order for the trade to be completed?

Wilks and Foyle will goto Memphis I believe, to make the trade work.

Not that it matters, but I believe it's 1 to Houston, & 1 to Memphis.

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

quote:
Originally posted by Ryan-Aussie Magic:

quote:
Originally posted by Magician09:

I'm still trying to figure out how this trade works since Houston is only trading Rafer Alston but are getting 4 players back in return.

I understand that they can release Wilks and Foyle once the trade is complete but don't they need to have the roster space in the first place in order for the trade to be completed?

Wilks and Foyle will goto Memphis I believe, to make the trade work.

Not that it matters, but I believe it's 1 to Houston, & 1 to Memphis.

You'd expects them both to get cut stragight up.

So we're set at the 1 spot, this year and next. Our concerns turn to our lack of quality bigs. Mikki Moore has been mentioned, and like alston, he'd bring some dirty moungrel to the game for us. He'd be my choice as he's about to be bought out.

I dont know how to feel about this. I know this makes us a better team but it is hard for me to swallow the loss of a first round pick for a 32 year old. I know Alston will probably be better than anyone we could have taken with that pick but how many years does he have left 2-3? I would feel a lot better about this trade if he was 28 or something. How can i justify looking at mock drafts everyday if we dont have a first round pick.

Anyways hope he fits in well with the team and who knows maybe we will trade our exemption for a first round pick like some people have been saying.

quote:
Originally posted by Goulet:

I dont know how to feel about this. I know this makes us a better team but it is hard for me to swallow the loss of a first round pick for a 32 year old. I know Alston will probably be better than anyone we could have taken with that pick but how many years does he have left 2-3? I would feel a lot better about this trade if he was 28 or something. How can i justify looking at mock drafts everyday if we dont have a first round pick.

Anyways hope he fits in well with the team and who knows maybe we will trade our exemption for a first round pick like some people have been saying.

1. It was a future pick, not our current one.

2. PG's play at a relatively high level well into their late 30s. He'll be fine.