Sign in to follow this  
Do Work Stan .... BOOYAAKASHAA

C-Lee at point guard will bring us back to the top

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

quote:
Originally posted by Do Work Stan .... BOOYAAKASHAA:

At some point Stan the Man has to realize that these two has-been PG's are not going to get the job done.

I agree completely, but don't you mean never was'?

quote:
Originally posted by rtillaree:

I'm not buying it...I have been watching him in the sparse minutes he has been given, trying to find it, and I just don't see it...defensively, I have no problems with him at the position, offensively, I don't think he will ever be a successful PG in this league...

I agree, Lee will never be a PG in this league, and I've been making that claim since the draft.

But, and there's a few buts...

It's simply illogical for a team to have it's 10th & 11th men playing the 6th & 7th most minutes. This is the epitome of diluting the talent pool.

This ignores the fact Lee is playing the minutes at point down the stretch. SVG is obviously trying to put his best 5 on the floor in crunch time, why ignore this reality for the other 42 minutes?

Offensively, not only is he a rook, but he's playing out of position. He'll get more comfortable and confident with time even if it's a temporary situation.

Why does Lee need to play like a PG simply because he playing PG?

Reality, AJ & Lue aren't going to do what Jameer did either. SVG is going to have to adjust the offense. Use more motion, better ball movement. That's the only way to compensate for a lack of floor general. Denver looked like they were playing a matchup zone half the game because nobody was moving and all 5 defenders had a foot firmly planted on the edge of the paint.

Use Lee & Redick off screens, exploit the other teams PG's defensively, force them to run through picks.

Bottom Line, get the 5 best remaining playa's on the floor, and adjust.

Well said, playing one of your top five players (I rank Lee over Pietrus at this point) LESS minutes because of injury to another makes no sense. Plus the experience will only help Lee next year when Jameer comes back and he goes back to SG.

If Hedo's supposed to be the point forward, then logically all you need from your PG position is good team ball movement, the ability to hit the three point shot if the defense sags off you, and good defense on the other end.

I'll let you figure this out on your own. Between Anthony Johnson, Courtney Lee, J.J. Redick, and Tyronn Lue, which two guys meet those three criteria the best?

Can Lee be an worse than AJ and Lue? At this point, experimenting with different lineups and offensive strategies couldn't hurt. It's not like this team is playing lights out right now. You'd have to be pretty naive if you thought we could get by with AJ and Hedo taking up pg duties. We're basically done without Jammer, so to answer your question, no Lee can't bring us back, however,trying to groom Lee into a combo guard sounds ideal.

Courtney Lee is capable of penetrating and dishing out to open shooters, and he's not a 57 year old with no neck and cement feet. He can actually defend the posistion. So to me, this isn't such a terrible idea. Honestly, when I watch AJ stiff arm people in the face just to get past half court, I want to scoop my eyes out with a spoon. F'ing Dampier...

Jameer or bust. This team is done without Jameer playing PG. I've come to realize this, I don't think many board members have. THE SEASON IS OVVVERRR. Forget about going to the finals, it's not happening unless Jameer is playing. From the sounds of things, he's done for the year, and so are the Magic. It's terrible yes, but at least I've come to the conclusion without getting my hopes up.

I think this is the x-factor in this decision...How good can Lee get at the PG position if he gets starters minutes opose to how much better can noneck and former braids get. To me it doesn't matter who plays where, but I feel that come playoff time Lee will be way ahead of the game. AJ and TLue are maxed out washed up guards. I think he would be up for the challenge and I think his basketball IQ is a lot higher then he gets credit for. He looks to be a hard worker and after all he can DEFEND and KNOCK DOWN OPEN SHOTS

From watching CLee for 4 years in college I can tell you that his talents on the offensive side of the ball are not being used properly. I could understand that to an extent before Jameer got hurt because Courtney was the 5th option on the floor witht he starters.

However, the offense that SVG runs with the Magic is not ideal for a SG like Courtney. He is a slasher. He was in college. He slashes and pulls up for the midrange jumper if the defense sags off. Or if they are tight he gets by them with his speed and takes it to the rack. As far as his 3 point shooting. Courtney is not a spot up shooter. Let me repeat NOT a spot up shooter. He shoots a much better percentage from downtown when he is coming off of screens or in fastbreak transition. In the magic's offense the SG on the floor tends to be regulated to the corners without much off the ball movement.

I am telling you if when Dwight is not on the floor. If the team ran more of a motion offense with alot of screens for the guards. CLee could get 15-20 points a night if given the opportunity to be the player he is capable of being.

I am sure some of you might think I am being homerish. But I will defend the same position for MP or Redick as far as shooting off of screens and not being spot up shooters. MP is a slasher as well.

If the Magic really want to have a shot. SVG needs to be a little more flexible in letting the SG's do a little more on the offensive side of the ball. Because the PG position of AJ and Lue is not gonna net us the points we have become familiar with from that position. And the slack needs to be picked up somewhere else.

--Rojogrande

The best scenario I've seen so far short of a gift from another team is Hedo bringing the ball up and Courtney guarding the PG on defense. Saw it quite a bit in the two wins but hardly saw it in the Denver game.

Before Nelsons injury we were all so happy..; (..Nah,but seriously we are not Championship contender with A.J running the point..I would try Lee out or trade expirings for a quality Point Guard but I doubt that'll happen so if we stay with this team we need our starting line up to dominate because our bench is 2nd to the weakest in the league..So God willing something happens!!

quote:
Originally posted by jack daniel 999:

Lee needs to remain at SG and learn that position...

SVG has to make the adjustments with the guys o make up for Jameer.

+1

KITNO, if we are going with your strategy, I think one guy we should trade for and add to the talent pool is John Salmons. He is an excellent defender, has a great contract, and plays point forward quite a bit, averaging just under 4apg. My guess is we could get him for something reasonable: Cook and Redick?

Using ESPN's new TM, Hollinger predicts said trade would add 6 wins to our season. Could Otis be this creative? Using point forwards to drive the offense?

quote:
Originally posted by Soul Bro:

KITNO, if we are going with your strategy, I think one guy we should trade for and add to the talent pool is John Salmons. He is an excellent defender, has a great contract, and plays point forward quite a bit. My guess is we could get him for something reasonable: Cook and Redick?

I was championing the idea of Marquis Daniels in another thread and Salmons would be a similiar fit. Daniels simply has more actual experience playing point and a team option on his contract next year. Plus he's an Orlando boy from EHS!!!