Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

It's official...Magic trade Keith Bogans for Tyronn Lue(pg.15)

From Frank Isola of the New York Daily News...a pretty reputable reporter.

quote:

WORKING MAGIC: With Nelson out indefinitely with a right shoulder injury, Orlando is in the market for a guard.

A long-shot possibility is Stephon Marbury, but it is doubtful that the Magic could trade for Marbury's contract. The team may have interest in the Knicks' exiled point guard should he agree to a buyout with the club.

Orlando is in talks with Milwaukee about acquiring Tyronn Lue in exchange for Keith Bogans. The Bucks recently lost shooting guard Michael Redd to a season-ending knee injury....

I also heard Steve Kyler say in his post-game video last night that the team was interested in Ty Lue.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/200...otally_disrespe.html

Professor Hollinger's take:

quote:

Scouting report: Lue is undersized at 6-0 but does OK on defense. He's quite strong and uses his body well to root bigger guards out of the blocks. Plus he's still fairly quick and he'll take charges and battle. He also almost never gambles, accounting for his low rate of steals.

Offensively, he's a half-court point guard who likes to run the pick-and-roll for a jumper going to his right, but of late he's been more of a spot-up point guard who initiates the offense and then gets out of the way. He's a good enough shooter to be effective in that role when healthy.

2008-09 outlook: Lue signed a one-year deal worth $2.5 million to join the Bucks and will battle Luke Ridnour and Ramon Sessions for minutes at the point. Given his injury history, it's likely he'll miss another 25 games or so, but when he plays he is still a capable backup and likely to earn 15-20 minutes a night.

quote:

The Orlando Magic is suddenly in desperate need of a point guard and the Knicks have one. But it is not likely a Stephon Marbury-to-Disney scenario will unfold soon. All-Star guard Jameer Nelson may be out for the season with a torn labrum and Magic brass yesterday huddled to discuss their strategies.

Marbury, who remains in exile and nowhere closer to a buyout of his $20.8-million contract than he was when talks initially began more than two months ago, would be a perfect fit if he were available. But the operative word here is "if."

"The problem with Marbury is nothing can happen because he's got to get bought out first," said one NBA coach. "You can't trade for him because he's not even close to what he's worth [contractually] ... Nobody's seen him play in forever. You can't tell anyone with any amount of certainty that he has anything left."

The Magic was linked to Marbury earlier in the season and general manager Otis Smith quickly dismissed the talk, but that could change. However, Smith seemed intent on not making any moves.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/ny-spkn...eb05,0,7174606.story

quote:

Scouting report: While Marbury's talent once made it possible to put up with his quirks, by last season he was just another guy. Age, ankle problems and a questionable commitment to offseason work have combined to strip Marbury of the explosive driving ability that used to make him such a threat. While he's still a strong driver going right whose unusual strength for his size allows him to absorb contact and finish, he no longer has the burst to reliably zoom past the initial defender.

Defensively, Marbury's effort yo-yos for no apparent reason. When he's locked in, he's pretty good, and his strength allows him to defend shooting guards effectively. Other nights he's seemingly on a different planet.

2008-09 outlook: Marbury has one year left on his deal at a whopping $20 million; the expectation is that New York will look to trade his expiring deal and then buy him out if it can't. The question, then, becomes whether anybody would bother picking up Marbury.

He's still an NBA-caliber player in terms of ability, but he's become increasingly weird the past two years and most consider him a locker-room cancer. It's not clear whether it's worth putting up with that for a backup point guard, and that's all he is at this point in his career.

quote:

When Orlando inquired in December about then-Nuggets point guard Chucky Atkins, he was intrigued by a possible deal.

Atkins was dealt to Oklahoma City on Jan. 7. But he still has interest in going to the Magic, which could use a point guard because of Jameer Nelson's shoulder injury.

"Of course," said Atkins, who lives in Orlando. "I'm a veteran guy. If I had an opportunity to win a championship, that's what every guy at this level wants to do. . . . But I'm not sitting here and saying I want to be moved . . . If it happens, it happens."

In the deal for Atkins, the Nuggets got center Johan Petro. Petro had two points and four rebounds in seven minutes Wednesday against his old team, while Atkins, whose minutes have been sporadic, didn't play.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/feb/05/nugge...remains-interested-/

quote:

Scouting report: He's only 5-11, he's not a great athlete, and he's 34 years old, so the deck is a bit stacked against him. Atkins compensates with an outstanding outside shot and a knack for protecting the ball -- his turnover ratios are consistently among the best at his position, and even during his struggles last year he posted a minuscule 5.5 turnover ratio.

On the other hand he has a lot of trouble matching up against big guards, and his rebound rates annually are among the very worst in basketball. At this point he's essentially a second-unit point guard, but because he can run an offense and hit an outside shot, he could continue in this role for some time.

From Frank Isola of the New York Daily News...a pretty reputable reporter.

quote:

WORKING MAGIC: With Nelson out indefinitely with a right shoulder injury, Orlando is in the market for a guard.

A long-shot possibility is Stephon Marbury, but it is doubtful that the Magic could trade for Marbury's contract. The team may have interest in the Knicks' exiled point guard should he agree to a buyout with the club.

Orlando is in talks with Milwaukee about acquiring Tyronn Lue in exchange for Keith Bogans. The Bucks recently lost shooting guard Michael Redd to a season-ending knee injury....

I also heard Steve Kyler say in his post-game video last night that the team was interested in Ty Lue.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/200...otally_disrespe.html

quote:

Scouting report: Lue is undersized at 6-0 but does OK on defense. He's quite strong and uses his body well to root bigger guards out of the blocks. Plus he's still fairly quick and he'll take charges and battle. He also almost never gambles, accounting for his low rate of steals.

Offensively, he's a half-court point guard who likes to run the pick-and-roll for a jumper going to his right, but of late he's been more of a spot-up point guard who initiates the offense and then gets out of the way. He's a good enough shooter to be effective in that role when healthy.

2008-09 outlook: Lue signed a one-year deal worth $2.5 million to join the Bucks and will battle Luke Ridnour and Ramon Sessions for minutes at the point. Given his injury history, it's likely he'll miss another 25 games or so, but when he plays he is still a capable backup and likely to earn 15-20 minutes a night.

quote:

The Orlando Magic is suddenly in desperate need of a point guard and the Knicks have one. But it is not likely a Stephon Marbury-to-Disney scenario will unfold soon. All-Star guard Jameer Nelson may be out for the season with a torn labrum and Magic brass yesterday huddled to discuss their strategies.

Marbury, who remains in exile and nowhere closer to a buyout of his $20.8-million contract than he was when talks initially began more than two months ago, would be a perfect fit if he were available. But the operative word here is "if."

"The problem with Marbury is nothing can happen because he's got to get bought out first," said one NBA coach. "You can't trade for him because he's not even close to what he's worth [contractually] ... Nobody's seen him play in forever. You can't tell anyone with any amount of certainty that he has anything left."

The Magic was linked to Marbury earlier in the season and general manager Otis Smith quickly dismissed the talk, but that could change. However, Smith seemed intent on not making any moves.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/ny-spkn...eb05,0,7174606.story

quote:

Scouting report: While Marbury's talent once made it possible to put up with his quirks, by last season he was just another guy. Age, ankle problems and a questionable commitment to offseason work have combined to strip Marbury of the explosive driving ability that used to make him such a threat. While he's still a strong driver going right whose unusual strength for his size allows him to absorb contact and finish, he no longer has the burst to reliably zoom past the initial defender.

Defensively, Marbury's effort yo-yos for no apparent reason. When he's locked in, he's pretty good, and his strength allows him to defend shooting guards effectively. Other nights he's seemingly on a different planet.

2008-09 outlook: Marbury has one year left on his deal at a whopping $20 million; the expectation is that New York will look to trade his expiring deal and then buy him out if it can't. The question, then, becomes whether anybody would bother picking up Marbury.

He's still an NBA-caliber player in terms of ability, but he's become increasingly weird the past two years and most consider him a locker-room cancer. It's not clear whether it's worth putting up with that for a backup point guard, and that's all he is at this point in his career.

quote:

When Orlando inquired in December about then-Nuggets point guard Chucky Atkins, he was intrigued by a possible deal.

Atkins was dealt to Oklahoma City on Jan. 7. But he still has interest in going to the Magic, which could use a point guard because of Jameer Nelson's shoulder injury.

"Of course," said Atkins, who lives in Orlando. "I'm a veteran guy. If I had an opportunity to win a championship, that's what every guy at this level wants to do. . . . But I'm not sitting here and saying I want to be moved . . . If it happens, it happens."

In the deal for Atkins, the Nuggets got center Johan Petro. Petro had two points and four rebounds in seven minutes Wednesday against his old team, while Atkins, whose minutes have been sporadic, didn't play.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/feb/05/nugge...remains-interested-/

quote:

Scouting report: He's only 5-11, he's not a great athlete, and he's 34 years old, so the deck is a bit stacked against him. Atkins compensates with an outstanding outside shot and a knack for protecting the ball -- his turnover ratios are consistently among the best at his position, and even during his struggles last year he posted a minuscule 5.5 turnover ratio.

On the other hand he has a lot of trouble matching up against big guards, and his rebound rates annually are among the very worst in basketball. At this point he's essentially a second-unit point guard, but because he can run an offense and hit an outside shot, he could continue in this role for some time.

After hearing Otis's pre game interview, he said anyone he add's has to make "financial sense" as well.

Everything I hear rules out guys who do not have expiring contracts or are FA's.

At this point unfriendly non expiring contracts like Watson, Atkins and Tinsley are highly unlikely.

Otis mentioned Ramon Sessions by name, which surprised me because he is young and playing very well. I have heard Carlos, Tyron Lue, Jason Williams, Troy Hudson, among others.

The team seems comfortable with AJ as a starter but are looking for veteran depth to keep his minutes down.

Except for maybe talk of Ty Lue, this all sounds like speculation. I find it funny the guy from newsday says Marbury would be a perfect fit. WHAT?!?! Apparently he hasn't covered the Magic enough to know Otis would never do that.

I find it very interesting though that it's been a few days now from the injury. I figured I would hear a lot more rumblings by now of who Otis is trying to go after, because it seems very tight lipped and quiet so far. But then again, maybe the organization have been establishing the options the want to pursue, and will go after them after Jameer gives them a decision.

I do think Tyronne Lue is one of the most likeliest cases however, just because the deal listed above would satisfy both team's needs. I'm not particularly excited about it though.

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

After hearing Otis's pre game interview, he said anyone he add's has to make "financial sense" as well.

Everything I hear rules out guys who do not have expiring contracts or are FA's.

At this point unfriendly non expiring contracts like Watson, Atkins and Tinsley are highly unlikely.

Otis mentioned Ramon Sessions by name, which surprised me because he is young and playing very well. I have heard Carlos, Tyron Lue, Jason Williams, Troy Hudson, among others.

The team seems comfortable with AJ as a starter but are looking for veteran depth to keep his minutes down.

I don't this it's a suprise to anyone here, but I would be uber excited if Otis was actually pondering going after Ramon Sessions. I really want to see what he could do for this team, and if he doesn't work out, he's a FA this summer and his tiny contract would come off the books.

A couple names not mentioned here which are interesting possibilities too are Kirk Hinrich (who Junkie brought up yesterday), Earl Boykins, and Andre Miller. Obviously Miller would give us the best chance at a championship and he comes off the books this summer. However, his salary is so large that we'd have to trade something like JJ, Cook and Battie (and I doubt they'd make that trade anyway), leaving an even thinner frontcourt. Hinrich is a financial problem because he has three years left on his contract and is getting paid starter's money. Boykins of course would provide a spark off the bench, but you don't really want him playing extended minutes against Rondo or Mo Williams in the playoffs. Either way, I thought all three names were more exciting than Lue or Chucky Atkins. Both of those names simply give AJ 15 minutes of rest a game and leave him as our starter. Against the Clippers, that's fine, but it's not going to work in the playoffs.

This is from Kyler's Morning Report:

quote:

Beno Udrih's name surfaced this week with the Bee hinting that Dallas, New Orleans or even Orlando might have interest. The belief is Sacramento simply wants to "cash out" Beno's remaining 4-year $30 million plus contract, and wouldn't be looking for a lot in return. League sources say that Dallas' Jerry Stackhouse might be enough for the Kings. The Magic were mentioned due to Jameer Nelson's potential season ending injury. Magic sources labeled the idea "interesting" but pointed to the more than $30 million still owed Beno as the biggest hurdle to a meaningful discussion. Magic GM Otis Smith joked last night, when asked how many phone calls he'd received over the past two day saying "A lot, but none of them good

Stephon Marbury WILL NEVER wear an Orlando Magic uniform. These "sports writers" are wasting their time with their BS theories.

Marbury would officially become a cancer spreading across everything that has been successful in Orlando this season.