Sign in to follow this  
SmackDaddy

Jameer's replacement??? [POLL]

I don't get what some people just don't understand about Marbury and the fact that there is zero risk to signing him to a 1 year, vet minimum contract. If he "Starburys" up, then you cut his ***. That's the chemotherapy to any locker room cancer, and he wouldn't count toward next year's salary cap. Actually now that I think about it, I don't believe vet min. contracts even count towards the salary cap. Unlike Tinsley for example, who would count far too much against our cap and would take giving up Magic assets to get... and then that hefty of a contract WOULD be a risk to take on, regarding his spotty behavior.

Marbury is medium-to-high reward, and low risk. I think people need to get the "low risk" part into their heads. It's like everyone thinks we would be signing him to some 3 year, Rashard-sized contract. We wouldn't be. The downside with him is waiting for the Knicks to do something with him, which is out of everyone's (even Marbury's) control.

Marbury, Jason Williams, Will Conroy, starting Lee at the point, starting REDICK at the point, virtually all options are better than starting Anthony Johnson and daring to play him for 30-35 minutes a game. Heck if that's the way it goes, don't expect the Magic to get out of the first round. No, I'm not being overreactionary.

If we can find a way to get Anthony Johnson's replacement period, whether Jameer's healthy or not, then hallejuah, something good will have come out of this.

a lesser known pg would be a better fit as a more reconsied point may have trouble adpating to being behind meer when he is back

a lesser known pg would more than likly be better than aj and that is the true final piece of the magic puzzle.

maybe this is a blessing in discuise....but i truly wish otis had woken up to this ages ago and not had this happpen to get the ball rolling..

marbury would be an ok option i like where skywise316 when with the vet contract i dont think he could kill a winning team this far into the season and everybody wants a ring it maybe his best chance. new york are desperate to move him and the asking price wont be so big

I know this is not really an option. But Tyrone Brazelton who was a team mate of Courtney Lee last season is now playing in Europe. He was on Utah's summer league team and alot of Jazz fans were upset that he was not signed on for the regular season.

I am not trying to be a WKU homer on this board. Had to give a WKU guy some props though lol. But he is a Jameer esque type player. Their games mimic one another. Brazelton avg 30 ppg in the NCAA tournament last season. He is lightning quick and plays ok defense. He can shoot the 3, drives the lane very well, and is good and finding the open man. He is not a starting NBA pg by any means. But he could definately play some back-up minutes and would be just as talented as any of the NBADL players that we could sign.

However, I think the best option at the present is to just wait and see. We have 2 weeks before the trade deadline to decide what to do. And until that time I think we will be ok with AJ and Lee/Hedo running the show.

--Rojogrande

why not go with a player from the Dleague?

they are all young players so they must be faster than AJ

a Euroleagueplayer is difficult I think, they would ask a lot of money and half the players that play there suck.

I saw pargo in a game last night and he shot like 2/9 and had no assists what so ever.

quote:
Originally posted by Skywise316:

I don't get what some people just don't understand about Marbury and the fact that there is zero risk to signing him to a 1 year, vet minimum contract. If he "Starburys" up, then you cut his ***. That's the chemotherapy to any locker room cancer, and he wouldn't count toward next year's salary cap. Actually now that I think about it, I don't believe vet min. contracts even count towards the salary cap. Unlike Tinsley for example, who would count far too much against our cap and would take giving up Magic assets to get... and then that hefty of a contract WOULD be a risk to take on, regarding his spotty behavior.

Marbury is medium-to-high reward, and low risk. I think people need to get the "low risk" part into their heads. It's like everyone thinks we would be signing him to some 3 year, Rashard-sized contract. We wouldn't be. The downside with him is waiting for the Knicks to do something with him, which is out of everyone's (even Marbury's) control.

Marbury, Jason Williams, Will Conroy, starting Lee at the point, starting REDICK at the point, virtually all options are better than starting Anthony Johnson and daring to play him for 30-35 minutes a game. Heck if that's the way it goes, don't expect the Magic to get out of the first round. No, I'm not being overreactionary.

If we can find a way to get Anthony Johnson's replacement period, whether Jameer's healthy or not, then hallejuah, something good will have come out of this.

With all this Marbury this and Marbury that there is still one major sticking point he is still a Knick and will be most likely to the end of this season since no one is budging on his contract and what is owned him or not.

Right now it makes more sense to go after Williams or a D-league player since they are available now, not next season as in Marbury.

And imo Marbury is still a cancer and Otis won't go after him even if he were available.

I really think we have to stay the course. I would give Lee a chance to be the point guard. It may end up turning in to the Magic finding out they have a rising star and a potential point guard in Lee.

Lee as a shooting guard is great due to the way he has played. Lee as a point guard...wow you now have a player that could potentially take over the team at some point. A player that could become more valuable than Nelson ever was/is to the team.

I love CLee, but he will never replace Jameer. He's still a SG who can play some PG. I don't see that changing.

Other, Carlos Arroyo, whose team will probably be eliminated from his best of 16 finals and he has an option to leave his contract without penalty to paly in the NBA if recalled. This will allow an easier transition tothe style of play of Stan. He has done very well in Europe with good consistency.

quote:
Originally posted by ibonedteribell:

Other, Carlos Arroyo, whose team will probably be eliminated from his best of 16 finals and he has an option to leave his contract without penalty to paly in the NBA if recalled. This will allow an easier transition tothe style of play of Stan. He has done very well in Europe with good consistency.

The reason Carlos didn't sign with the Magic is money and it's still the reason he won't sign with the Magic again no matter how much some people want him back.

Lee could with the help of his team mates be a good to very good pg in the NBA and now is his chance. And then with the All Star Break he needs to keep on working on his pg skills rather then taking the time off. imo

quote:
Originally posted by ibonedteribell:

Thing is, even if the Magic tried to bring him back, I think it would be the same situation over again. He'll want more money and/or more playing time than what the team would want to give. The only difference is that he could possibly play over AJ now that Dooling is gone.

quote:
Originally posted by PEC:

The reason Carlos didn't sign with the Magic is money and it's still the reason he won't sign with the Magic again no matter how much some people want him back.

Ummm....What???

Carlos has already been paid his 4 million for playing overseas this season. Anything he makes by helping out an NBA for the remainder of this season would be gravy, and could also serve as a showcase of his talents to get an NBA contract next season.