Sign in to follow this  
Aron-Ingi

Magic Nets talking trade..

quote:
Originally posted by FENDI:

quote:
Originally posted by rtillaree:

Bogans deal expiring is also and incentive for Orlando...Hedo Turkoglu...

exactly.

While Najera would be a good fit since he has the attitude and toughness we need, add the fact that he is capable of shooting threes, although inconsistently, Hedo is bound for a big paycheck and I don't think we'll get someone like Najera who is tied with a pretty much a big contract, in terms of the our salary cap.

There are two schools of thought that quickly discredit this way of thinking.

1) Perhaps the Magic have decided to exceed the LT. Why would they exceed the luxury tax? Because we are a contender. Each playoff game generates more than 1 million in revenue. Nationally broadcast regular season games generate appx $500K. So lets say the Magic are penalized by the LT to the tune of 5million dollars but we are picked up for an additional 10 nationally broadcast regular season games next year. A wash. Now consider that the Magic make it to the ECF or the Finals. 1 million extra per post season game is all gravy.

My point is, there is no need to fret about resigning Hedo when we can exceed the cap and the LT with his bird rights, and if it means putting a more competitive team on the floor that is able to generate even more revenue with national attention and further post season success, that LT penalty becomes a non-factor.

2) Bogan's roster spot will still need to be filled with another player. That player will have a minimum salary of appx $800 (likely more). So while simply letting Bogan's contract come off the books to give Hedo more money sounds great, it isn't practical when applied to the overall makeup of the team roster according to league rules.

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

With all this fan driven desire to reacquire Dooling and our obvious need for a backup PG, one has to wonder if Otis still feels 3m was too much to give up for Chalmers or an extra 5m over 3 years was too much to keep Keyon???

I remain unconvinced that the decision to not buy that draft pick was Otis's.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:
Originally posted by chosen12:

for the most part I really think the focus should be on Boone if anything at all.

That's great, but why would NJ trade their late first round draft pick from 2006 that has been a pleasant surpise and is only paid 2mil per year?

I bet there are 29 teams in the NBA that would also love to take Boone off of NJ's hands, but when evaluating trades, it is necessary to investigate whether both teams would have enough interest in the components to execute the deal to finality.

Agreed! I would suggest that all 29 other teams would take Boone off their hands, just as they would take, let's say Hedo off of ours, but would anything make sense?

My answer would be more along the lines of Najera for Bogans and Blarity or would JJ and Blarity work into NJ's plans for the 2010 FA market, and Boone would work well for our future while keeping Bogans and allowing his deal to expire,in order to re-sign Hedo.

I really don't think either side will pull the trigger, and I also have been slightly out of the loop for a while, so help me out here if I am overlooking something Smack my friend!

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

Because it's what we want. Dang Smack, don't you know how this stuff works?

Yeah, although I hate to admit it...that too echo4papa!!! LOL

quote:

quote:

quote:

for the most part I really think the focus should be on Boone if anything at all.

That's great, but why would NJ trade their late first round draft pick from 2006 that has been a pleasant surpise and is only paid 2mil per year?

I bet there are 29 teams in the NBA that would also love to take Boone off of NJ's hands, but when evaluating trades, it is necessary to investigate whether both teams would have enough interest in the components to execute the deal to finality.

Agreed! I would suggest that all 29 other teams would take Boone off their hands, just as they would take, let's say Hedo off of ours, but would anything make sense?

My answer would be more along the lines of Najera for Bogans and Blarity or would JJ and Blarity work into NJ's plans for the 2010 FA market, and Boone would work well for our future while keeping Bogans and allowing his deal to expire,in order to re-sign Hedo.

I really don't think either side will pull the trigger, and I also have been slightly out of the loop for a while, so help me out here if I am overlooking something Smack my friend!

Did you just write a post agreeing with someone else's post that was disagreeing with a post you'd written earlier? Talk about spinning on a dime.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Did you just write a post agreeing with someone else's post that was disagreeing with a post you'd written earlier? Talk about spinning on a dime.

HAHAHA!!! Yeah that's about right DOM, I really have been taxed for time! I am glad you caught that, but it was my friend smack, so I felt obligated/compeled!

If this trade is even remotely on the table Otis better be leaping over the conference table to get to the fax machine.

It would be great to get Dooling as well because could you imagine the D on the bench with a Dooling/Lee or Peaches backcourt.

I'd jump on the Bogans for Najera deal in a second. The Nets get an expiring contract and Orlando gets a veteran hustle forward who knows how to commit a hard foul.

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

I'd jump on the Bogans for Najera deal in a second. The Nets get an expiring contract and Orlando gets a veteran hustle forward who knows how to commit a hard foul.

And here is another plus to all of this Najera's contract is only guaranteed for this season and next the last two years of his contract are not.

Something to sink your teeth into when thinking about trading Bogans for him.

This thread is funny...Otis keeps things so close to the vest that you can't hardly find even a smidgen of a trade rumor about a Magic player anywhere on the internet.

As soon as one small rumor pops up everybody goes nuts!!! lol

I suspect this thread will grow very large before it's done.

Something about mentioning trades and NBA players that gets everyone excited...type on my Magic brothers...I'm enjoying reading your trade ideas and suggestions.

Ha-Ha, this board was/is dying for a trade rumor...

Me too, by the way...