Sign in to follow this  
Jareth Cutestory

[SI.com] Front page article: Nelson rewards Magic's faith

33ndcgp.png

quote:
Patience isn't a virtue in the NBA; it's all but impossible. The pressure from all corners -- fans, owners, media, teammates -- leaves little room for a young, highly touted player to feel his way into a league in which experience almost always trumps raw physical talent.

For those teams willing to wait, however, sometimes the player they thought they were drafting eventually shows up, even if a little late.

Few have shown up with a grander arrival this season than Orlando's Jameer Nelson, a fifth-year point guard who entered the season with career averages of 11.7 points and 4.4 assists amid questions about his ability to be the floor leader of an elite team. With the former college player of the year posting career highs in scoring (16.4), shooting (50.4 percent) and three-point accuracy (43.8 percent), the Magic have joined the Cavaliers and Celtics in the hotly contested race for the best record in the Eastern Conference.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/paul_forr...s/index.html?eref=T1

33ndcgp.png

quote:
Patience isn't a virtue in the NBA; it's all but impossible. The pressure from all corners -- fans, owners, media, teammates -- leaves little room for a young, highly touted player to feel his way into a league in which experience almost always trumps raw physical talent.

For those teams willing to wait, however, sometimes the player they thought they were drafting eventually shows up, even if a little late.

Few have shown up with a grander arrival this season than Orlando's Jameer Nelson, a fifth-year point guard who entered the season with career averages of 11.7 points and 4.4 assists amid questions about his ability to be the floor leader of an elite team. With the former college player of the year posting career highs in scoring (16.4), shooting (50.4 percent) and three-point accuracy (43.8 percent), the Magic have joined the Cavaliers and Celtics in the hotly contested race for the best record in the Eastern Conference.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/paul_forr...s/index.html?eref=T1

He still needs to become more of a point gaurd. If we didn't have Hedo his shortcomings would be magnified. He needs to learn how to set guys up and drive with the intention of kicking to an open man. Most of his kicks I have noticed are what i call bail out passes. Where he just drives in, realizes he has nothing going on, so he kicks it out.

5 apg on a team full of shooters is bad. He needs to be in the 7-8 range.

Hes doing much better this year than years before though and I hope he puts some serious time into learning how to be a playmaker.

I for one am very very happy I was wrong. I did not think we had a point guard for the future last year(none of the 3 guys) and at the beginning this year I thought our PG was the weakest link and that Nelson was going to fail us.

I am glad I kept my Nelson windup giveaway toy from like 2 years ago...lol...

quote:
Originally posted by DontPushMe:

He still needs to become more of a point gaurd. If we didn't have Hedo his shortcomings would be magnified. He needs to learn how to set guys up and drive with the intention of kicking to an open man. Most of his kicks I have noticed are what i call bail out passes. Where he just drives in, realizes he has nothing going on, so he kicks it out.

Hes doing much better this year than years before though and I hope he puts some serious time into learning how to be a playmaker.

lmao

quote:

he's averaging 5 asts because he shares the playmaking duties with turk. Having two guys capable of setting up teammates on the floor at the same time is a huge advantage. If turk wasn't on this team, nelson would be getting more apg.

quote:
Originally posted by magic berto:

quote:

lmao

yeah we should reallllly be changing his game, like right now, while we're doing this winning thing... and what the hell is with hedo making his shots? and driving? as well as dishing? the way people talk about him on this board you think he just goes out there and crawls around on all fours and start drooling at the tip off.

I think Nelson is playing fantastic right now and really meshes well with the team's style of play. I think his court vision has improved this season and he is looking to pass a little more.

However, as you all know, fans are very hot and cold. My concern is...what's the perception of Jameer going to be when his shooting percentage goes down (because at some point it will)? I bet everyone around here will say he's not worth the money again and yada yada yada. He just had a break out year like Turk last year, yada yada yada.

quote:

Do yourself a favor and look up the stats of Walt "Clyde" Frazier.

Also, you should keep in mind when viewing his stats that he's a hall of famer, had multiple first team all-nba appearances, multiple top-10 MVP voting finishes, and is rightly considered one of the greatest point guards ever.

Every time someone makes a stupid association of point guards and assists, an angel loses its wings.

Then explodes.

quote:

We don't average a lot of assists, because we have players that can create their shot off the dribble. Plus, when we do get assists, it's usually the third or fourth pass that gets the wide open shot in SVG's offense. Since Jameer's usually starting the first pass, it's pretty good that he gets 5 assists at all.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:

Also, you should keep in mind when viewing his stats that he's a hall of famer, had multiple first team all-nba appearances, multiple top-10 MVP voting finishes, and is rightly considered one of the greatest point guards ever.

Every time someone makes a stupid association of point guards and assists, an angel loses its wings.

Then explodes.

Didn't we have a thread about this argument before?

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:

Then explodes.

Didn't we have a thread about this argument before?

I feel like this board is a giant game of whack-a-mole, only with people saying uninformed things, rather than moles.

And I guarantee I've written at least 10 posts explaining the assists thing since the season started, and at least 3 that mentioned Frazier.

I just wish people realized that there is a top-10 alltime point guard with a career average of 6.1 assists a game before they say stupid things.