Sign in to follow this  
Jareth Cutestory

[OS] Job Is Now Rookie Courtney Lee's To Lose

quote:
Originally posted by MagicMax:

It will be a tough decission for Stan especially JJ late form. We need MPs defense and firepower but him coming of the bench for 3 along with JJ/KeBo will offer us a good offense/defense combination. That type of rotation will take some minutes from Hedo and Rashard(since he plays 3 when Turk is on the bench) so they will be ready for the 4th quarter with a fresh look..

I really like what JetLee brings to the table.His D is great but not fantastic. He generally gets the job done but I'm still wondering that he can guard the SS players..(in a consistent basis)

We will see. What we need is depth and we have it right now. Use it Stan

i agree with my turkish friend here mostly, i think the only two guards now that have guranteed minutes when everyone is healthy is peitrus and lee, and jj/bogans should and would be used depending on the matchup, jj can keep a double team off dwight and keep defenses honest with his shot, bogans can put a body in front of larger sg's and switch off easier. peitrus/lee seem to be able to do both.

another case of don't F with a hot streak. Svg can see our current rotation is working and it doesn't make sense to mess with it.

I still think pietrus is our best sg and lee is an ideal 6th man at this point in his career. He could very well be the starter down the road, but pietrus plays really well for us when healthy. The good thing about pietrus and lee is that defense doesn't go in slumps.

To whoever wrote that lee isn't an excellent defender, i agree, but he is a very good defender right now and i expect he will become an excellent defender down the road.

^ at this point i would label lee a good one on one defender(which is what we really need from him), and below average team defender. he makes mistakes on D when it comes to rotations and moving without the ball that bite other players in the butt too often to be considered a very good defender right now. he looks just plain lost sometimes. however, with experience, and the will to do so, he should learn and become a very good defender in the future. defense slumps when conditioning slumps btw...

quote:
Originally posted by murphy13:

^ at this point i would label lee a good one on one defender(which is what we really need from him), and below average team defender. he makes mistakes on D when it comes to rotations and moving without the ball that bite other players in the butt too often to be considered a very good defender right now. he looks just plain lost sometimes.

I agree, I have seen this too. There is a reason other teams run a lot of picks on him. Part is because hes such a good 1 on 1 defender that they need to do that to get him room, but the other reason is he does struggle to make the right decisions when he gets tied up with one of our own guys. A lot of those layups last night were his fault.

Offensively he had a very bogans night last night. He needs to do more. Part of it is him being an afterthought when running the offense, I dont think hes a stereotypical spot up shooter but thats how they use him for the most part. Sure, he can shoot, but I think hes best if hes given chances to make plays for himself off the dribble, and either take a jumper, drive, or pass. Kinda like what Hedo does.

We should just trade everyone on our roster for the 2003 Duke Blue Devils. If nothing else, maybe then the JJ fans would shut the hell up.

Seriously, the "lets burn down everyone else in a pathetic, horribly transparent effort to build JJ up by comparison" is stupid, juvenile, ungodly pathetic, and is the kind of debate tactic I'd expect from my neighbor's 8 year old.

The torching of Lee's defense with an emphasis on last night's game is particularly impressive, since SA's shooting guards shot a combined 7-17 and had 23 points in a combined 65 minutes. For the season, Lee has a better Drtg on the year than 2 of our starters, for Portman's sake.

I like JJ. I think his shooting is an asset, and with Pietrus rotating in some at the 3 and Lee doing the same thing at the one, he has a place in the rotation. In fact, as far as I'm concerned, at this point nothing would be better for the Magic than finding a way to package Bogans and JJ's fans for a rebounding/defending big. But my god, you people couldn't be more obnoxious.

JJ fans on this board make the Arroyo fans seem logical and fair by comparison.

Edit: Fair point, Sky. I was painting with a wide brush. It would be more accurate to say: "Some JJ fans on this board make some Arroyo fans seem logical and fair by comparison." but frankly, that's not nearly as "putting the stamp on the post" as my original statement.

Both guys have earned it, and good on Stan to come out and say that openly instead of just doing it. It'll instill that much more confidence for those two guys.

You know if the Magic can keep winning anywhere near this pace, with this kind of depth all of a sudden... as long as everyone's pretty much healthy, we can maybe rest some guys down the stretch. I know we'll probably be fighting for some sort of high seed, but we can play Hedo and maybe even Rashard less minutes than usual, somewhere in the 20s instead of the 30s, and then give those leftover minutes to Pietrus and Bogans (both of which can play small forward) while still getting a fair amount of minutes for Lee and Redick.

This way the starters get basically some half days, but still stay in rhythm, and our bench guys stay warm and in rhythm themselves. I know I'm getting WAY ahead of myself, but if SVG can afford to do that and get away with it in the last 3-5 games of the regular season, that would be totally major.

And DOM that's not fair. Nothing's more annoying than an irrational Arroyo fan, let's not have short memories.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

We should just trade everyone on our roster for the 2003 Duke Blue Devils. If nothing else, maybe then the JJ fans would shut the hell up.

Seriously, the "lets burn down everyone else in a pathetic, horribly transparent effort to build JJ up by comparison" is stupid, juvenile, ungodly pathetic, and is the kind of debate tactic I'd expect from my neighbor's 8 year old.

The torching of Lee's defense with an emphasis on last night's game is particularly impressive, since SA's shooting guards shot a combined 7-17 and had 23 points in a combined 65 minutes. For the season, Lee has a better Drtg on the year than 2 of our starters, for Portman's sake.

I like JJ. I think his shooting is an asset, and with Pietrus rotating in some at the 3 and Lee doing the same thing at the one, he has a place in the rotation. In fact, as far as I'm concerned, at this point nothing would be better for the Magic than finding a way to package Bogans and JJ's fans for a rebounding/defending big. But my god, you people couldn't be more obnoxious.

+1, DOM is saying what i've been trying to say for a long time, but i'm pretty immature and babble bout nonsense alot, i'm considering copying this post and pasting it on every thread we have.

quote:
Originally posted by Skywise316:

Both guys have earned it, and good on Stan to come out and say that openly instead of just doing it. It'll instill that much more confidence for those two guys.

You know if the Magic can keep winning anywhere near this pace, with this kind of depth all of a sudden... as long as everyone's pretty much healthy, we can maybe rest some guys down the stretch. I know we'll probably be fighting for some sort of high seed, but we can play Hedo and maybe even Rashard less minutes than usual, somewhere in the 20s instead of the 30s, and then give those leftover minutes to Pietrus and Bogans (both of which can play small forward) while still getting a fair amount of minutes for Lee and Redick.

This way the starters get basically some half days, but still stay in rhythm, and our bench guys stay warm and in rhythm themselves. I know I'm getting WAY ahead of myself, but if SVG can afford to do that and get away with it in the last 3-5 games of the regular season, that would be totally major.

And DOM that's not fair. Nothing's more annoying than an irrational Arroyo fan, let's not have short memories.

Remember when not so long ago so many were saying that having 4 SG's was too much and right now it is perfect.

Lee is right where he should be and happy for Redick, but please Redick no more cross court passes (rolling eyes).

Keep on rolling Magic.

quote:
In fact, as far as I'm concerned, at this point nothing would be better for the Magic than finding a way to package Bogans and JJ's fans for a rebounding/defending big.

So what you are saying is we should be showcasing the Redick fans in order to build their trade value. PEC you are playing the 4th quarter against the Lakers!

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

quote:
In fact, as far as I'm concerned, at this point nothing would be better for the Magic than finding a way to package Bogans and JJ's fans for a rebounding/defending big.

So what you are saying is we should be showcasing the Redick fans in order to build their trade value. PEC you are playing the 4th quarter against the Lakers!

Could have used the 4th against the Hawks to showcase the Fat-Man as a PF.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

Edit: Fair point, Sky. I was painting with a wide brush. It would be more accurate to say: "Some JJ fans on this board make some Arroyo fans seem logical and fair by comparison." but frankly, that's not nearly as "putting the stamp on the post" as my original statement.

If this is directed at me, you are coming after the wrong guy. I am not a JJ fan by any means. Hes shot the ball well lately and deserves credit for it, but I have been an advocate of trading him for 2 years now, was against taking him in the first place, and even with him playing better, i would still happily trade him for a good backup PG.

This post was NOT to build up JJ, it was a fair critique of Lee, who happens to be one of my favorite players on the team. On RealGM i have said he has Brandon Roy potential. I really like him, and I expect him to be a big time part of our team in the future:

quote:
I agree, I have seen this too. There is a reason other teams run a lot of picks on him. Part is because hes such a good 1 on 1 defender that they need to do that to get him room, but the other reason is he does struggle to make the right decisions when he gets tied up with one of our own guys. A lot of those layups last night were his fault.

Offensively he had a very bogans night last night. He needs to do more. Part of it is him being an afterthought when running the offense, I dont think hes a stereotypical spot up shooter but thats how they use him for the most part. Sure, he can shoot, but I think hes best if hes given chances to make plays for himself off the dribble, and either take a jumper, drive, or pass. Kinda like what Hedo does.

^^^ Whats the point in just saying nothing but good about the guy? I have given a fair critique of his play and my opinions on how he could improve.

I def want to see Pietrus back in the starting lineup when he returns...but as SVG said, he isn't healthy, and this is how things are, and I'll add, should be until then.

When Pietrus returns, it would be very welcomed to see Hedo playing point forward with Lee & JJ on the 2nd unit.