Total: Around $62 million

Free Agents

Hedo Turkoglu

Marcin Gortat

Keith Bogans

Adonal Foyle

Jeremy Richardson

Mike Wilks

The projected Luxury Tax Threshold for the 2009-2010 Season is around $74 million but that could change. However, assuming we use that number, that is about a $12 million gap to sign Turkoglu and five other players. The Magic have made it clear they do not want to exceed this threshold because they already lose money and do not want to have further losses by going over the threshold.

This gap could mean the Magic will look to move J.J. Redick and is near $3 million salary in 2009-2010 for an expiring deal around The NBA

quote:
Under Contract

Dwight Howard

Rashard Lewis

Jameer Nelson

Tony Battie

Mickael Pietrus

Courtney Lee

J.J. Redick

Brian Cook (Player Option)

Anthony Johnson (Player Option)

Total: Around $62 million

Free Agents

Hedo Turkoglu

Marcin Gortat

Keith Bogans

Adonal Foyle

Jeremy Richardson

Mike Wilks

The projected Luxury Tax Threshold for the 2009-2010 Season is around $74 million but that could change. However, assuming we use that number, that is about a $12 million gap to sign Turkoglu and five other players. The Magic have made it clear they do not want to exceed this threshold because they already lose money and do not want to have further losses by going over the threshold.

This gap could mean the Magic will look to move J.J. Redick and is near $3 million salary in 2009-2010 for an expiring deal around The NBA

quote:
Originally posted by truth393:

http://magic.realgm.com/articles/67/20081229/could_turk...axed_out_of_orlando/

This is a very interesting article. I think we should go the sign-and-trade route this summer, with Turk.

The writer of this article is the realgm is their admin guy so we are not talking about a sports reporter so it's another take it or leave it.

It's more of a imo kind of post.

i keep forgetting about cook's player option for 09/10... that ariza trade is officially otis smith's worst move (and with otis smith's resume thats saying something)

what a stupid trade, we traded ariza for a bad contract that we will now have to pay someone to take off of our hands... moves like this confirm that our success is despite otis smith, not because of him

anyway, of the 6 free agents only turk and gortat are worth worrying about... i fear gortat is going to leave, but i hope we at least try to keep him... id like to keep bogans especially if we move JJ but not for more than 2m per year

Well it could be worse; if we never got Ariza in the first place we could still be paying Stevie Francis...

quote:
Originally posted by DontPushMe:

i keep forgetting about cook's player option for 09/10... that ariza trade is officially otis smith's worst move (and with otis smith's resume thats saying something)

what a stupid trade, we traded ariza for a bad contract that we will now have to pay someone to take off of our hands... moves like this confirm that our success is despite otis smith, not because of him

anyway, of the 6 free agents only turk and gortat are worth worrying about... i fear gortat is going to leave, but i hope we at least try to keep him... id like to keep bogans especially if we move JJ but not for more than 2m per year

Actually we traded Ariza(who was not being used, and was not going to get playing time and was injured at the time) for a starting SG that helped us win 52 games and a playoff series, and that other guy.

Ariza did not fit our team. Plain and simple, he was not going to get playing time behind the shooters(Lewis, Hedo, Bogans, Dooling, heck even Pat G). The team is built around Dwight and shooters.

I tend to believe that if the team makes noise in the playoffs, ownership might go ahead and go over the tax a bit. It depends on how much Hedo will take, how much of a paycut he is willing to accept in order to stay in Orlando.

I still think that it is an interesting idea to trade our late first round pick in order for another team to pick up the rest of Cook's contract in order to sign Hedo.

I really can't think of anyone in the league who we can sign for less than $10 mil/year who can run an offense as well as Hedo; we have to keep him. Perhaps his poor shooting as of late will keep him more affordable...

1) The Magic lost $ last year? I would love to hear that said with a str8 face.

2) Looking at our roster/payroll, I don't see how moving Battie & Cook aren't priorities 1a & 1b. That's 10 Million in cap space next year!

3) Enough justification of the Ariza trade. It sucked! It sucked because we took Cook's useless game and his 12M contract off the Lakers hands, period. We didn't need to take Cook in order to swap Ariza for Evans, we choose to, & the Lakers are still thanking us.

quote:
Originally posted by davcivic:

quote:

Actually we traded Ariza(who was not being used, and was not going to get playing time and was injured at the time) for a starting SG that helped us win 52 games and a playoff series, and that other guy.

Ariza did not fit our team. Plain and simple, he was not going to get playing time behind the shooters(Lewis, Hedo, Bogans, Dooling, heck even Pat G). The team is built around Dwight and shooters.

I tend to believe that if the team makes noise in the playoffs, ownership might go ahead and go over the tax a bit. It depends on how much Hedo will take, how much of a paycut he is willing to accept in order to stay in Orlando.

I dont care about ariza, i wanted to trade him, but you dont trade him just for the sake of trading him. If all otis thought he could get for ariza is a slight upgrade over bogans at the 2 gaurd he sure as hell could of done it without taking on a bad contract. I cant believe there is 1 person anywhere that thinks we made the right move here.

a summer sign and trade will not net us any significant asset, they never do. Can anyone think of a sign and trade where the team trading the player got anything in return.

When the sonics did a s&t with us for shard, we sent them a 2nd rd pick.

quote:
Originally posted by davcivic:

quote:

I dont think he will accept lower than 10 mil/year. He alraedy did his paycut with playing under his worth (6.5 mil/year) since he came here. It could be more if Brain Hill had discovered his talents long time ago. Its time to payback by Orlando for him.