Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Should J.J. be mad at Brian Schmitz? (Sentinel)

quote:
Originally posted by davcivic:

Well PEC you really didn't expect Junkie would post the part about Bogans....

Bogans...who is that...?

We got Courtney "Spiderman" Lee...coming to a theatre near you soon...

quote:
Originally posted by Luke_FfS:

quote:
Originally posted by gporter:

Yo sky, you should work for the Sentinel, you have better reads than they do.

+1

And I would add LoDM to the list.

Thanks Luke...who should I make the check out to? You or just to "cash?"

On one hand, Schmitz is just trying to do his job. Anymore, the newspaper beat writers gig is about "number of website hits," not, number of subscriptions sold. So, if Schmitz can throw something against the wall like "Redick for Hill" and have it stick, then he generates a little bit of buzz for the paper.

With one veteran Sentinel NBA writer already gone, and folks like Hornack gone, I am sure that Schmitz, and his editor bosses, want to do anything they can to keep interest in their writings at a high level.

Even though Denton told us all that a beat writer enjoys a middle-of-the-road season because there is a fair balance of highs and lows, I can't help but think that Schmitz, Hightower, and the Sentinel are tickled that the Magic are having such a hot start - and therefore generating more interest - at the same time that newspapers are suffering their darkest period, ever.

Oh, as for JJ, he has every right to be upset at Schmitz. JJ is having enough trouble finding his way as an NBA player and trying to make ground with his fellow SGs. He has enough uncertainty hanging over him without having folks like Schmitz speculating and upsetting him, his friends, and his family (this is often overlooked, the stress that flip comments from beatwriters can create on a player's friends and family).

Who ever said that players have families, friends and relationships? Players are objects with no feelings that can be thrown around and abused as if they where Tonka trucks...kinda like forum mods....

That is a good point LOD. I don't think the writers think about the families, or probably they think that it comes with the territory, as in they decided to be pro players so they renounced to all their rights as human beings.

quote:

Oh, as for JJ, he has every right to be upset at Schmitz. JJ is having enough trouble finding his way as an NBA player and trying to make ground with his fellow SGs. He has enough uncertainty hanging over him without having folks like Schmitz speculating and upsetting him, his friends, and his family (this is often overlooked, the stress that flip comments from beatwriters can create on a player's friends and family).

Wait, isn't it a newspaper beat writer's job to report on any rumors that he believes are substantial? There certainly were rumors before most trades in the NBA, with many being reported on by the hometown newspaper. I don't think JJ has any reason to be mad unless Brian Schmitz made up the rumor (which is entirely possible) - the newspaper's job is to report such things. That said, I do see how such rumors would impact a player, but I think it comes with the job.

quote:
Originally posted by Live or Die Magic:

quote:

quote:

+1

We really need smiles on this forum!!!!

3d_-_Smiles.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by davcivic:

...kinda like forum mods....

LOL

Seriously, I agree with that 100%, and sometimes it's really sad to see how human beings are exposed only for the will of some writers to create some buzz (and I'm not referring to basketball players, there're more serious situations that were handled in a terrible way)

quote:

quote:

quote:

+1

And people wonder why I hate you all so very much.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:

quote:

quote:

+1

That's okay DoM, you might not have a future with O-Sen, but do you really want that anyway? Forward your work on to cracked.com and spread the cheer on a global level.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:

quote:

quote:

+1

LOL

I've forgot you on purpose, you can't receive love, not even in Christmas.

HATE is written all over you!!!

:=)

BTW, can you really imagine yourself writing for the OS and spreading your ideas all over the state?

Florida is not ready for that...

You know the prospect of me working for the Orlando Sentinel is much like young J.J. Redick's plight. Do you try to make things work for less PT but a better shot at a ring withthe Magic, or go with the PT in Phoenix with less wins?

See, I'd rather work for Florida Today. Be on a title contender with John Denton. However the Orlando Sentinel could really use my help. It's a tough call, really.

These newspapers are far too family-friendly to handle DOM by the way. He's more of an Enquirer kind of guy. Besides, he's definitely the kind of guy that would and could break an affair scandal on John Edwards.