Sign in to follow this  
Warlock

Future of Gortat - Analysis and Interview in Polish paper

I translated it from the Polish quality news paper Gazeta Wyborcza. Sorry for any mistakes in spelling or grammar. http://www.sport.pl/sport/1,65025,6077442,Gdzie_jest_przyszlosc_Gortata_.html

"I don't want to be a replacement for Howard all my life. And he is one of the guys I will never beat"

The only Polish player in the NBA replaced superstar Dwight Howard in the last three games. He played 23,7 MPG, scoring an average of 9,3 points en 7,7 rebounds. As the replacement of "Superman" he performed very well, the 24-year center from Lodz had 16 points and 13 rebounds against the Warriors.

On Thursday the Magic will be playing the Spurs, with a recovered Howard and Gortat on the bench again. From the bench he played only 6 of 21 games, with an average of 3,1 minutes and only 5 rebounds en 0 points.

But in the last couple of days Gortat proved Stan van Gundy that he can perform on a solid level, yet never will make the starting 5. No player can take that spot from Howard as the days of Ewing, David Robinson or Alonzo Mourning are over. Shaq can't dominate as in the past, Ming never has and Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett don't fight the boards as well. The strong, agile and still incomplete Howard is the greatest warrior in the NBA. In Orlando he has no competition.

The one-year older en 3 centimeters higher Gortat plays on the same position. Attempts to put him as a PF has failed so far, unless Gortat can improve his game further from the basket, he will stay a 10-minute replacement.

But the strange thing is that coming to Orlando has been the best thing that could happen to him. He owes a lot to Howard, from being a friend to the hard battles during practice.

"In my first game in the NBA I never feared anyone. Who should I fear if I practice with Howard everyday? To get close to his level, I had to become stronger - and now it is paying off.

Howard shows a lot of respect for Gortat: "He is always the first one in the gym and the training room. To watch his desire to become a better player, really inspires me."

One can hardly imagine a team where Gortat could gain more - he could have a lot more of playing time with lesser team like the Thunder, Pacers or the Bulls. But would that made up for the time with Howard and the assistance of Ewing?

Now, however when Gortat is starting to show his skills, his present role may not be enough. "I don't want to be a replacement for Howard all my life. And he is one of the guys I will never beat"

His contract with the Magic expires at the end of the season. He will try to get resigned but he knows he is not the one making the decisions. He stays realistic: "A few good games don't change much. I am hearing rumours about a new contract but I might return to Europe as well"

For now he has five months to prove he belongs in the NBA.

I translated it from the Polish quality news paper Gazeta Wyborcza. Sorry for any mistakes in spelling or grammar. http://www.sport.pl/sport/1,65025,6077442,Gdzie_jest_przyszlosc_Gortata_.html

"I don't want to be a replacement for Howard all my life. And he is one of the guys I will never beat"

The only Polish player in the NBA replaced superstar Dwight Howard in the last three games. He played 23,7 MPG, scoring an average of 9,3 points en 7,7 rebounds. As the replacement of "Superman" he performed very well, the 24-year center from Lodz had 16 points and 13 rebounds against the Warriors.

On Thursday the Magic will be playing the Spurs, with a recovered Howard and Gortat on the bench again. From the bench he played only 6 of 21 games, with an average of 3,1 minutes and only 5 rebounds en 0 points.

But in the last couple of days Gortat proved Stan van Gundy that he can perform on a solid level, yet never will make the starting 5. No player can take that spot from Howard as the days of Ewing, David Robinson or Alonzo Mourning are over. Shaq can't dominate as in the past, Ming never has and Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett don't fight the boards as well. The strong, agile and still incomplete Howard is the greatest warrior in the NBA. In Orlando he has no competition.

The one-year older en 3 centimeters higher Gortat plays on the same position. Attempts to put him as a PF has failed so far, unless Gortat can improve his game further from the basket, he will stay a 10-minute replacement.

But the strange thing is that coming to Orlando has been the best thing that could happen to him. He owes a lot to Howard, from being a friend to the hard battles during practice.

"In my first game in the NBA I never feared anyone. Who should I fear if I practice with Howard everyday? To get close to his level, I had to become stronger - and now it is paying off.

Howard shows a lot of respect for Gortat: "He is always the first one in the gym and the training room. To watch his desire to become a better player, really inspires me."

One can hardly imagine a team where Gortat could gain more - he could have a lot more of playing time with lesser team like the Thunder, Pacers or the Bulls. But would that made up for the time with Howard and the assistance of Ewing?

Now, however when Gortat is starting to show his skills, his present role may not be enough. "I don't want to be a replacement for Howard all my life. And he is one of the guys I will never beat"

His contract with the Magic expires at the end of the season. He will try to get resigned but he knows he is not the one making the decisions. He stays realistic: "A few good games don't change much. I am hearing rumours about a new contract but I might return to Europe as well"

For now he has five months to prove he belongs in the NBA.

Well it's understandable. Dwight is incredible and we all know he'll play around 38-40mins a game. In a center backup role, that realistically only nets Marcin around 8-10mins of playing time a game. How can we get him more minutes?

Well, it's not a secret. He needs to slide over to PF at times. I just hope that his jumpers are consistent enough or at least, be developed to be just that. I think Rashard would have an easier time sliding to the SF position (duh) to accommodate Gortat's playing at PF than it is for Dwight to slide to PF to accommodate Gortat's playing at C.

If we can at least integrate him into our rotation like this, then I see no problem in getting him around 20mpg. Again, it all hinges on how well he can perform at the PF position.

Thanks for the translation.

I really hope we can fid a way to keep him, but it would be difficult.

If he'll play a lot of good minutes, he'll ask for more money than we can pay.

And if he doesn't find a spot in the rotation, he would search for another team (NBA or Europe).

Either way, we're probably going to lose him, and it's a shame.

quote:
Originally posted by Warlock:

I love this quote because that's what I've been saying. How can this guy not improve if he is facing Howard everyday. What better Center to battle against when you are trying to improve. I'm glad he has not fear and he shouldn't when he is playing since he has Superman on his side!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Luke_FfS:

Thanks for the translation.

I really hope we can fid a way to keep him, but it would be difficult.

If he'll play a lot of good minutes, he'll ask for more money than we can pay.

And if he doesn't find a spot in the rotation, he would search for another team (NBA or Europe).

Either way, we're probably going to lose him, and it's a shame.

This is the unfortunate truth I believe. Short of Gortat making a concession, I don't see of any way that wse will be able to keep him.

Considering he is my gavorite player, I can't bleieve that I am suggesting this, but since bigs are so hard to come buy in this league, could he heave become our most valuable asset these last few games?

Should we trade him before we lose him for nothing? If I was Otis, I would offer him an extension before the trade deadline, and if it didn't work out, I might move him.

What about this translate by google translator? icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
The only Pole in the NBA in three recent matches, replacing Santa Claus kontuzjowanego Orlando Magic Howard - he played an average of 23.7 minutes in the match and gained an average of 9.3 points and 7.7 collection. As deputy "Supermana" Gortat spisywa? very well - in wygranym exit the game with Golden State Warriors, 24-year-old center from Lodz had 16 points and 13 collections.

On Thursday the Magic play at home with the San Antonio Spurs - the knee injury niegro?ny Howard has proved to be the best player and the team from Orlando returns to the first Friday. Gortat sit on the sidelines - when Howard was in the warehouse, a Pole occurred in 6 of 21 matches, after an average of 3.1 minutes. He was 5-RAISING, has not earned a point.

In recent days Gortat proved trainer represents van Gundy'emu that on a level playing it, but you know that for the first five there is no chance. This place does not introduce an Howardowi no basketball player in the world - past time Patrick Ewing, David Robinson or Alonzo Mourning. Shaquille O'Neal is not dominant as ever now, Yao Ming has not prevailed, and Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett in the fight podkoszow? involved to a lesser extent. A strong, lively and still unsatisfied Howard is the greatest warrior obr?czami the NBA. The competition has no Orlando.

Senior year, and three centimeters higher than the Howard Gortat playing the same position at American. Attempts to set it as high-wing - although there are sometimes successful - in the long run, do not have sense. If Gortat not make rapid progress in the game further away from the basket, the Magic is to properly sentenced to a maximum role "dziesi?ciominutowego" alternate.

But paradoxically, Orlando is one of the best places to get what could Pole. Howardowi owes a lot - from kole?e?skich systems, which years ago helped him to find a debut season, finishing on a hard fight on the training. - In their first matches in the NBA did not have to worry. No wrong because what could I PRZYTRAFIC? The worst, namely the fight against Dwight, was in his team - Gortat said. Howardowi to catch up on training, Polak had to be strengthened physically - now it procentuje.

Howard appreciates Gortat: - Always is the first time in the gym and classroom training. I can see how much would like to become a better basketball player. It inspires me. In this respect, take an example from him - says the American.

It is difficult to imagine a club in which Gortat would be more - may be weaker in the koszami Chicago Bulls, Indiana pacers whether Oklahoma City Thunder gra?by more. But whether nauczy?by as many as the next Howard and the additive under the watchful eye of Ewing will act as an assistant coach?

But now, when Gortat slowly begins to prove its willingness to play, his current role may not be sufficient. - I have no intention to be lifelong zmiennikiem Dwight. And it just never przeskocz - Pole said before the season.

Gortat contract with the Magic ends after the current competitions. Known from working and waleczno?ci Lodz not pardon in efforts to further contract in Orlando, the NBA, although he is rather than running to be elected will be to select one. Pole is a realist: - The fact that we played in two matches does not change anything. S?uchy come to me, that I get a proposal for a new contract, but I do not know whether I return to Europe - Gortat reserves.

For now has five months to prove that belongs to the NBA.

Gortat did real well while backing up Dwight. Being the "enforcer" while Dwight's sitting isn't such a bad thing and every team needs one. Maybe the bruiser we've been looking for is sitting on the bench.