Sign in to follow this  
Shine88

76ers fire Cheeks, sources say - ESPN

quote:
The Philadelphia 76ers fired coach Maurice Cheeks on Saturday, sources told ESPN's Stephen A. Smith. Assistant general manager Tony DiLeo will be the interim head coach for the remainder of the season, the sources said. Cheeks' deal with the 76ers, who started the season 9-14, was guaranteed through next season

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3766766

quote:
The Philadelphia 76ers fired coach Maurice Cheeks on Saturday, sources told ESPN's Stephen A. Smith. Assistant general manager Tony DiLeo will be the interim head coach for the remainder of the season, the sources said. Cheeks' deal with the 76ers, who started the season 9-14, was guaranteed through next season

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3766766

lol, get the team to over achieve last year, add a piece that conflicts with what worked last year, give the coach who was successful last year 20 games to blend it, then fire him when he can't do it on the fly. Sound about right? I don't get it.

quote:
Originally posted by Kberto:

NBA: We got a fever, and the only prescription is, fire more coaches.

lol

I don't get it. Cheeks played the team to their strength, he told them exactly what they should have done, and that's run. It's not his fault that adding a slow, back-to-the-basket, fundamental PF hampered the development of a running team.

What's that, four coaches now? Carlesimo, Smitch, Whitman, and Jordan? I know I'm missing something. It's only a matter of time before O'brien, Dunleavy, Theus, and maybe even Larry Brown all get the boot. I mean, I guess it gives the fans something to hope for, I know we were relieved when B. Hill got shipped out, but we had a legitimate head coach out in the market with SVG.

Memo to current or aspiring NBA coaches: Do NOT win COY.

I felt that they went after the right position this summer (PF), but the wrong player. Josh Smith should've been there main target this summer, and they had the money to outbid the Hawks too.

Josh Smith with Sixers would of been sick.

Stan Van Gundy's gonna win Coach Of The Year by default, at this pace. Then again, Cleveland's coach'll probably get that too. Man the media looks more stupid than usual for jumping on the Raptors and Sixers bandwagons before they ever did anything.

quote:
Originally posted by truth393:

I felt that they went after the right position this summer (PF), but the wrong player. Josh Smith should've been there main target this summer, and they had the money to outbid the Hawks too.

so true. brand is a great player but he doesn't fit in at all. miller, iggy, young, smith, dalembert would have been sick.