Sign in to follow this  
Jareth Cutestory

Hollingers Playoff Odds, why I am posting this, I'll never know.

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

quote:
Originally posted by KLR:

Didn't someone here commented that he has apparently predicted the last 3 champions correctly? I could be wrong, but if that were true I would have no real reason to mock him, even if I disagree with how it stands right now.

Yes, and his rankings become more accurate as the season progresses. The closer to the end of the season, the more accurate it becomes, because the sample size increases. This early in the season, the only purpose his rankings serve is to spark conversation, like this thread.

Your moms a thread.

The phrase "whatever" comes to mind.

I mean I don't know what's worse, the fact that Philly and Miami are rated higher than Orlando (despite the fact that Orlando thrashed Philly), or that he has Dallas rated higher than San Antonio or Golden State. Over GS maybe... but the Spurs!? Did anyone tell Hollinger that Parker and Ginobli aren't out for the rest of the season??

Like I said.. whatever.

quote:
Originally posted by Skywise316:

The phrase "whatever" comes to mind.

I mean I don't know what's worse, the fact that Philly and Miami are rated higher than Orlando (despite the fact that Orlando thrashed Philly), or that he has Dallas rated higher than San Antonio or Golden State. Over GS maybe... but the Spurs!? Did anyone tell Hollinger that Parker and Ginobli aren't out for the rest of the season??

Like I said.. whatever.

His formulas ignore injuries.

Remember... it's math, not subjection. He isn't sitting down and giving his opinion. He created a formula, and tracks results throughout the season. At the end of the seasonl we can all see the results, and compare those results with what happens in the playoffs. That's a much better time to decide the usefulness and accuracy of this information.

quote:
Originally posted by KLR:

Didn't someone here commented that he has apparently predicted the last 3 champions correctly? I could be wrong, but if that were true I would have no real reason to mock him, even if I disagree with how it stands right now.

Well there is a reason to mock him if he has the Bulls with a higher chance to make the Finals than us while not only being a lower seed but actually not likely to even make the playoffs according to his system. Boston beats Cleveland by double digits and has a better record but their "best" possible record is worse than that of the Cavs. Seems like a very flawed formula

quote:
Originally posted by Jackie Treehorn:

Is everyone else just ignoring what echo4papa is writing here?

Yes, Jackie, they are.

And it amazes me.

If those that are in an uproar were arguing that they should not be publishing these results until the season is farther along and the data has had more time to determine trends and expectations, THAT is a valid argument.

But to suggest that he is an idiot because of what his formula currently spits out is ridiculous.

If you think it's bad now, just be glad they didn't publish the results when it was only 3 games into the season. My God, this forum would have exploded like a JJ fan after he hits 2 shots in a row.