Sign in to follow this  
Shine88

Steve Kyler Chat - Hoopsworld

quote:
Will in Wilmington,NC:

When will the Magic trade reddick for j.critt.Will the Magic trade Turk before the deadline if so who do you think they might target?

Steve Kyler:

Welcome in all... I hope the day is treating you well... lets get into it...

The Magic are not likely going to trade JJ for JCritt... as much as it seems to fit, that ship has sailed. What I was told several times, and even as early as two weeks ago... Memphis wants two assets for JCritt... Otis is only willing to spend one... Memphis could lower their price, Otis could decide he has a real need... but today, neither of those seem true. The other side is JCritt is not an upgrade - while I love the guy as a person, his game is a lot more Steve Francis like than anyone in Orlando would be comfortable with.

On trading Turk... again, I just do not see it happening, there is too much that he is in that locker room. I really wish I could video tape those guys and how they are, and how much of a central figure he is in the system both on the court and off the court... You remove Hedo from this team, I think they fall apart - there just such an interesting "all for one" thing going on in Orlando, you do not mess with that unless the wheels fall off, which they haven't. I am sticking to this... If Orlando has 13-15 wins at the 20 game mark, this teams stays intact all year.

quote:
Say the Magic are in the same or close to the same spot in the draft this year and Collison is taken already, do you think Tyler Hansbrough would be a good pick?

Steve Kyler:

Absolutely not... I know experts are in love with his motor, love his competive desire and all of that... Otis would be very foolish to draft Tyler, he would not fit into what the Magic are doing...

This year we are partnering with our friends at DraftExpress on Player Rankings for the draft, and our first Mock Draft is up (/the_draft/FullMockDraft.asp) - we have Orlando selecting Jordan Hill - Junior from Arizona, we also have Samardo Samuels from Louisville on the board around Orlando... I also like Tony Woods from Wake Forest - should be in their reach too.

quote:
Doc Vince in Manila, Philippines:

What's your take if jj redick is traded for either chris quin (miami) or marcus williams (warriors)

Steve Kyler:

I think neither player makes Orlando a better team... but JJ is also in the dented can bin... he looked solid last night. I think if Stan can find a few more games like that out of JJ is value will go up... then the names get better... If you haven't seen Marcus Williams play this year, its brutal.... again great guy, just not getting it done for the Warriors.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Chat.asp?CHAT_TOPICS_ID=58

quote:
Will in Wilmington,NC:

When will the Magic trade reddick for j.critt.Will the Magic trade Turk before the deadline if so who do you think they might target?

Steve Kyler:

Welcome in all... I hope the day is treating you well... lets get into it...

The Magic are not likely going to trade JJ for JCritt... as much as it seems to fit, that ship has sailed. What I was told several times, and even as early as two weeks ago... Memphis wants two assets for JCritt... Otis is only willing to spend one... Memphis could lower their price, Otis could decide he has a real need... but today, neither of those seem true. The other side is JCritt is not an upgrade - while I love the guy as a person, his game is a lot more Steve Francis like than anyone in Orlando would be comfortable with.

On trading Turk... again, I just do not see it happening, there is too much that he is in that locker room. I really wish I could video tape those guys and how they are, and how much of a central figure he is in the system both on the court and off the court... You remove Hedo from this team, I think they fall apart - there just such an interesting "all for one" thing going on in Orlando, you do not mess with that unless the wheels fall off, which they haven't. I am sticking to this... If Orlando has 13-15 wins at the 20 game mark, this teams stays intact all year.

quote:
Say the Magic are in the same or close to the same spot in the draft this year and Collison is taken already, do you think Tyler Hansbrough would be a good pick?

Steve Kyler:

Absolutely not... I know experts are in love with his motor, love his competive desire and all of that... Otis would be very foolish to draft Tyler, he would not fit into what the Magic are doing...

This year we are partnering with our friends at DraftExpress on Player Rankings for the draft, and our first Mock Draft is up (/the_draft/FullMockDraft.asp) - we have Orlando selecting Jordan Hill - Junior from Arizona, we also have Samardo Samuels from Louisville on the board around Orlando... I also like Tony Woods from Wake Forest - should be in their reach too.

quote:
Doc Vince in Manila, Philippines:

What's your take if jj redick is traded for either chris quin (miami) or marcus williams (warriors)

Steve Kyler:

I think neither player makes Orlando a better team... but JJ is also in the dented can bin... he looked solid last night. I think if Stan can find a few more games like that out of JJ is value will go up... then the names get better... If you haven't seen Marcus Williams play this year, its brutal.... again great guy, just not getting it done for the Warriors.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Chat.asp?CHAT_TOPICS_ID=58

Most of the time I'm on board with Kyler's stuff but I disagree with him on his stance with Crit/Steve Francis comparison.

I think Crit can be more of a distributor than Francis if given time...Crit played point guard in college whereas Francis was one of those tweener guards(don't know if they are a point or shooting guard).

Besides...don't we need a back-up point guard that can get after it defensively and break down defenses? With all the crticism Anthony Johnson gets on this board about his lack of athleticism, Crit is a superb athlete!

I might add he is 6'5.

Interesting though...it could still possibly get done...Memphis is a woeful 3-point shooting team.

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

Most of the time I'm on board with Kyler's stuff but I disagree with him on his stance with Crit/Steve Francis comparison.

I think Crit can be more of a distributor than Francis if given time...Crit played point guard in college whereas Francis was one of those tweener guards(don't know if they are a point or shooting guard).

Besides...don't we need a back-up point guard that can get after it defensively and break down defenses? With all the crticism Anthony Johnson gets on this board about his lack of athleticism, Crit is a superb athlete!

I might add he is 6'5.

Interesting though...it could still possibly get done...Memphis is a woeful 3-point shooting team.

I think Memphis want to package Critt in a deal. I just don't see them sending Critt out in a trade by himself.

Thanks for posting, I enjoy these nuggets.

I'm pretty much off the "trade Hedo" wagon too, but not so much because of him but more of how good Lewis is playing the 4. I like.

As for filling out weaknesses, we have to get a backup 1 or let Lee run it full time. No more AJ, that guy is brutal. I trust Stan to know how well he'd pan out if given 13-15 minutes at the 1, but I sure hope he gets there soon.

For whatever reason this board seems to think Crittenton or however you spell his name is a point guard. Yes, he has played a PG. But in all reality he isnt.

Plain and Simple he's a natural 2 guard. He doesnt pass first. He looks for his shot first.

I just dont see what the point would be to trade a 2 for a 2. That doesnt help our situation we will still end up having 4 SG's

The Hansbrough comment surprises me. He seems like a perfect fit for our squad.

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

Me too, but I think Otis will go PG, since it's a pretty deep position in the 09 class.

quote:
Originally posted by LetsGoMagic:

For whatever reason this board seems to think Crittenton or however you spell his name is a point guard. Yes, he has played a PG. But in all reality he isnt.

Plain and Simple he's a natural 2 guard. He doesnt pass first. He looks for his shot first.

I just dont see what the point would be to trade a 2 for a 2. That doesnt help our situation we will still end up having 4 SG's

If Bogans or J.J. for that matter were the first two guards off the bench wouldn't a penetrating point guard who can drive and kick be ideal for spot-up shooters like Bogans and Redick who aren't great at beating people off the dribble?

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

quote:
Originally posted by LetsGoMagic:

If Bogans or J.J. for that matter were the first two guards off the bench wouldn't a penetrating point guard who can drive and kick be ideal for spot-up shooters like Bogans and Redick who aren't great at beating people off the dribble?

I think what concerns many is not if he can, but if he will.

I'll admit to being on the fence on this issue.

At this point I think the most I would be willing to give up is either JJ, Bogans or Cook, and a 2nd rounder. That, to me, comes the closest to a compromise between the Grizzlies insistence on getting 2-for-1 for Crit, and Otis insistence that he only give up 1.

quote:
Originally posted by truth393:

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

Me too, but I think Otis will go PG, since it's a pretty deep position in the 09 class.

Hansbrough's game wont translate over to the NBA. Way too skinny, might become a defensive liability. He'll probably end up in the same situation as JJ (but with less supporters because he's a big and bigs dont carry the same fanfare as guards). He'll end up going to some team that can give him all the minutes in the world and lose a bunch of games, or he'll end up on a good team with solid options and he'll be scrounging around for bench minutes.

When i think about Hansbrough the name Josh McRoberts comes to mind.