Sign in to follow this  
Jareth Cutestory

Off Topic Question: 2010 Free Agent Class

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

Are you willing to deal Shard and 2 1st round picks for a rental of LeBron and a chance to re-sign him?

In a heartbeat!

I've already expressed in numerous other threads that i would trade Shard for just about anybody to rid our team of his contract. Two future 1st round picks have very little value if you pair Dwight with Lebron. We would be a perrenial top 2 NBA team, and that is when you can be guaranteed that every vet in the NBA will quickly relocate to Disneyland for pennies.

Lebron in Orlando playing next to Dwight would not be a rental. it would be a match made in heaven that would bring 5-8 NBA championships to C FL.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:

Are you willing to deal Shard and 2 1st round picks for a rental of LeBron and a chance to re-sign him?

In a heartbeat!

I've already expressed in numerous other threads that i would trade Shard for just about anybody to rid our team of his contract. Two future 1st round picks have very little value if you pair Dwight with Lebron. We would be a perrenial top 2 NBA team, and that is when you can be guaranteed that every vet in the NBA will quickly relocate to Disneyland for pennies.

Lebron in Orlando playing next to Dwight would not be a rental. it would be a match made in heaven that would bring 5-8 NBA championships to C FL.

It's a rental if he decides to bolt for a big market team at the end of the season.

quote:

It's a rental if he decides to bolt for a big market team at the end of the season.

For the mere chance of retaining Lebron while getting rid of Shard's awful contract, providing us with cap space to pursue another of the free agents available in that class if Lebron did bolt...a million times, YES.

quote:

Sure, if Cleveland new LeBron was out the door, why not trade him? Ask yourself this though, would you give up anything decent for a half season rental of LeBron? I think the only way I would make that trade was if I had a **** good idea that he was going to stick around after the season ended. Now, to know that, you would have to know LeBron wanted to come to your team regardless, right?

Take NJ for instance. Lets say they know LeBron is going to sign with them in 2010. If they know this, why give up anything decent to get him a little early?

I see LeBron staying in Cleveland until his contract is up. Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't they be able to sign him for more money than any other team? Once his contract is up, he decides where he wants to go, Cleveland gives him up in a sign and trade for a max contract.

Now, if LeBron were really savvy, and wanted to work towards his legend status, he would sign with whatever team he chooses, for a modest contract, and not tie their hands for future moves. It's not like he needs the money from the contract, he makes significantly more through endorsements. Big market team means more endorsement money. The team having mroe money to spend means a better (theoretically) supporting cast. A better supporting cast means a better chance at a title.

Great point. I just figured some team would make the trade. If Lebron stated going into the season he had no intentions on resigning with Cleveland, I could picture a team taking a 1 year rental to see if they could get a championship with their supporting cast around him.

yeah i'd definately take lebron here for a year and his rghts over shard right now, shard is good to have, but his contract size is way to big for what he's offering our team. even if lebron plays for a year and leaves then at least we'd free up salary cap space to either lure a free agent here, or at the least get a superstar here on a trade that isn't playing up to par on another team, and doesn't want to play there anymore. and mind you we could probably sign like 3 role players on our team for what we're playing shard, alright maybe two, but what is peitrus getting paid again? he's definately looking like he could be worth a pretty penny himself, too bad his contract didn't expire the year shard's contract did a few years back, he would probably gotten a pretty fat paycheck himself.

quote:
Originally posted by truth393:

Amare Stoudemire might be the one to sign with another team in 2010.

I'd say that several players from that class are going to move around: Dirk is clearly gone by then at the latest, Richard Jefferson is gone, Houston may go full rebuild mode if they haven't won a title by then and let go of TMac and Yao, Amare may go, aging Ginobli may go...it'll be a weird FA period, that's for sure.

cleveland will just ride it out and sign & trade him... lebron will be in perfect position to threaten to sign the 100M deal with whoever, probly new york, and force a s&t

i dont think theyll deal him before that

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:

I'd say that several players from that class are going to move around: Dirk is clearly gone by then at the latest, Richard Jefferson is gone, Houston may go full rebuild mode if they haven't won a title by then and let go of TMac and Yao, Amare may go, aging Ginobli may go...it'll be a weird FA period, that's for sure.

Joe Johnson could go as well although he seems pretty content now.

What could be interesting is lets say a team like the Nets miss on Lebron. Do they turn around and wait for say Carmelo or do they try and sign Dirk or Joe Johnson and overpay them.

Its going to be interesting to say the least.

Edit: According to Hoops Hype Dirk has a player option for 21.5 million in 2010-2011. I cannot see him walking away from that kind of money so he might be involved in a sign and trade instead of a straight free agent contract.

Why would Lebron demand a trade right now?

His team is 8-2 with a point differential second only to the Lakers. The Cavs also have set themselves up capwise to have plenty of room to go after one Lebron's Friends in either Wade or Bosh.

The Nets dream of moving to Brooklyn and becoming the NY "in" team are quickly fading with their stadium plans.

I put my money on the Cavs retaining Lebron at this point and signing Bosh from the Raptors.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:

I meant out of the top tier free agent. Jefferson and the rest of them guys you listed will be 2nd tier free agent in 2010.