Sign in to follow this  
Jareth Cutestory

[Schmitz] Ten-Game Grades Are In For Magic

quote:
Our early report cards are in after 10 games on Magic players, and we encourage you to chime in with yours as well:

PG Jameer Nelson: B. Lately, he's played the way he did during the club's playoff run last season. Charlotte Coach Larry Brown, who knows point guards, raved about Nelson controlling the game Sunday. Nelson's consistency will determine how strong a playoff team the Magic become.

PG: Anthony Johnson: B. AJ has pretty much done what the Magic expected him to do. Run the offense, don't make mistakes and add a jumper or two. They could use some more scoring punch from him.

SG: Mickael Pietrus: C-plus: We give MP a C-plus because he's had to rebound from a suspect start inwhich he couldn't stay on the floor because of foul trouble. He has been terrific at times, and showing a much better offensive game -- especially shooting the ball (49 percent)--- than even the Magic expected.

SG/SF: Keith Bogans: B. Bogans really has shown a veteran's maturity, recovering after losing ground to J.J. Redick in the preseason. Streaky shooter, solid defender.

SG: Redick. D. J.J. couldn't hold his spot as the first SG off the bench when the season started. He has to be wondering abouthis future -- and whether it's time to have his agent call Otis Smith again to explore trades.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/

quote:
Our early report cards are in after 10 games on Magic players, and we encourage you to chime in with yours as well:

PG Jameer Nelson: B. Lately, he's played the way he did during the club's playoff run last season. Charlotte Coach Larry Brown, who knows point guards, raved about Nelson controlling the game Sunday. Nelson's consistency will determine how strong a playoff team the Magic become.

PG: Anthony Johnson: B. AJ has pretty much done what the Magic expected him to do. Run the offense, don't make mistakes and add a jumper or two. They could use some more scoring punch from him.

SG: Mickael Pietrus: C-plus: We give MP a C-plus because he's had to rebound from a suspect start inwhich he couldn't stay on the floor because of foul trouble. He has been terrific at times, and showing a much better offensive game -- especially shooting the ball (49 percent)--- than even the Magic expected.

SG/SF: Keith Bogans: B. Bogans really has shown a veteran's maturity, recovering after losing ground to J.J. Redick in the preseason. Streaky shooter, solid defender.

SG: Redick. D. J.J. couldn't hold his spot as the first SG off the bench when the season started. He has to be wondering abouthis future -- and whether it's time to have his agent call Otis Smith again to explore trades.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/

I sort of agree with the Pietrus grade as of right now...I would say maybe a b-minus which is just about the same thing really...He did get off to a sluggish start and has only really been playing better for a stretch of games...his offense has obviously gotten much better over the last 6,7 games...the jury is still out...if he maintains his current level of play however, he'll be right up there...

man oh man do we need Shard and Hedo to step up their shooting...

quote:
Charlotte Coach Larry Brown, who knows point guards, raved about Nelson controlling the game Sunday.

This quote shouldn't be glossed over. Brown is notoriously tough on point guards.

He gives Foyle an inconclusive for not seeing playing time. But Give the Warlock and Cook D's and F's...I mean Cook has seen like 30seconds of play time and Gortat has seen a few minutes and producing pretty nicely too.

I can't defend Cook, he is horrible. But Gortat is just a victim of the coach's 8 man rotation. Not because he can't play, Battie is just better and a veteran right now....

Schmitz should stick to trying to look like Magnum PI and looking at the cheerleaders from his courtside/media seat.

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

quote:
Charlotte Coach Larry Brown, who knows point guards, raved about Nelson controlling the game Sunday.

This quote shouldn't be glossed over. Brown is notoriously tough on point guards.

I do have to recognize that although I am not a Nelson crazy fan(I have always doubted him as the one) he has been working out pretty good, controlling the games, defending his man, and setting up plays. He is not a star PG, but he is doing his job well...

Ten-Game Grades written by BS? Self-explanatory, really.

AJ with a B?! Even AJ's mother would need an explanation from the teacher before she hangs that one on the fridge.