Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Stephon Marbury to Magic or Heat? Tommy Beer(Knicks beatwriter) thinks so...

quote:
Originally posted by Luke_FfS:

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

Team chemistry is pretty overrated. Sometimes people act like bad character is contagious. Like Dwight may start sexually harrassing Magic employees simply because he is in the presence of Marbury. This team has a strong coach, a strong GM (in terms of player relationships, not personnel moves), and strong characters in the rest of our players. I don't think Marbury is going to infect the rest of them and turn them into the old Trailblazers.

Let me disagree with that.

He isn't going to infect for sure, but saying that "chemistry is pretty overrated" maybe is too much...

Maybe I should rephrase what I meant. One player isn't going to singlehandly over turn the chemistry team already has. I doubt the Magic players could be any more friendly with each other and they would likely embrace Marbury if he was signed. BTW, the players don't necessarily need to get along just play well together. The early 90s Bulls absolutely hated each other and yet were very successful on the court. Chemistry IMO went from being important to highly overrated because of the emphasis that fans have put on it.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

Take a look back at all of the teams Steph has played for though. In Phoenix he did have Marion as a solid sidekick, but their 3rd option was a washed up Penny Hardaway. With the Nets, Steph's sidekick was Johnny Newman.

During his early days with the Wolves, their team leader was Tom Gugliotta. The next year when KG and Steph took control, their team was a respectable 45-37 with Stanley Roberts their starting C, Sam Mitchell their starting SF and Terry Porter their starting PG (Marbury was playing SG).

Basicaly, the teams he has played for have all been absolutely horrible. So, while I understand the attacks on his character, i don't think it's all together fair to highlight the poor W-L records for the teams he has played on and blame him for that as well.

But how do you explain the improvements once he leaves? Sure some of them have been coaching related but he went from a decent season with PHX in 02-03 I believe with Amare (yes he was a rookie but still had an impact), then the team crapped out the first half of the following season so they blew it up. As a GM would you do that if you felt you had a useable PG?

He had Kenyon in his last year in NJ had a good year statiscally but the team didn't do anything. They bring in Kidd and they go to the finals.

Pieces were added to those teams but why did the GM's of those teams want to get rid of him? Why do different PG's always seem to do more with the core of what Marbury had to work with. NJ goes from 26-56 with him to 52-30 with Kidd, was RJ as a rookie good for a 28 game improvement? Marbury was supposed to be an elite PG on par with Kidd but Kidd helps teams win and Marbury doesn't.

We aren't talking about replacing Kidd with Marbury here but isn't it possible that it's more than coincidence that he doesn't seem to make the pieces around him work their best? What is it that he does or does not do? He's consistantly put up fantastic stats, it has to be something more than that and that hidden something is what concerns me about adding a guy like that.

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

But how do you explain the improvements once he leaves?

You provided the answer yourself. He was traded for Nash and for Kidd. Pretty simple to determine why his teams improved after his departure when you consider that both of those players are sure thing hall of famers.

quote:

quote:

You provided the answer yourself. He was traded for Nash and for Kidd. Pretty simple to determine why his teams improved after his departure when you consider that both of those players are sure thing hall of famers.

I understand that, but isn't he supposed to be an elite PG(or was before he started to decline)? More importantly doesn't he believe himself to be an elite PG? All 3 of those players put up fantastic stat's, what is it that Nash and Kidd have that he does not?

Stat wise he would be an upgrade over any one we've had for a very long time but there is something off about the guy. His teammates hate him. We've all seen the quotes that have come out of NY about how much they don't like him. I don't think I've ever seen a former teammate of his come out and defend the guy.

I mentioned it before but D'Antoni's system is dependant on good PG play, what does that say about Marbury when they have a system that needs a point and they don't even want him practicing with the team.

How much better did this team play once Francis was sent away? Isn't Marbury basically the same guy?

quote:

quote:

quote:

I understand that, but isn't he supposed to be an elite PG(or was before he started to decline)? More importantly doesn't he believe himself to be an elite PG? All 3 of those players put up fantastic stat's, what is it that Nash and Kidd have that he does not?

Stat wise he would be an upgrade over any one we've had for a very long time but there is something off about the guy. His teammates hate him. We've all seen the quotes that have come out of NY about how much they don't like him. I don't think I've ever seen a former teammate of his come out and defend the guy.

I mentioned it before but D'Antoni's system is dependant on good PG play, what does that say about Marbury when they have a system that needs a point and they don't even want him practicing with the team.

How much better did this team play once Francis was sent away? Isn't Marbury basically the same guy?

We're talking about signing him as a backup PG, it not like he would be are starting PG, he would be a nice addition to our bench.

Also D'Antoni never really saw Marbury as a PG for his system, he saw Marbury as a SG.

Backup PG, SG, Center who cares, if they hate him up there and don't want him around why would it be different here? If they've hated him every where he's gone and didn't want him around why would stop number 5 in his career be any different? He doesn't need to be a starter to be a disruption.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Charisma:

quote:

How much better did this team play once Brian Hill was sent away?

Fixed.

lol, Francis wasn't exactly the most popular guy either and we played very well after he was sent packing.

quote:

All dependent upon the role he is willing to accept.

When Marbury left the Nets that entire team underwent a makeover. Not only did NJ receive hall of fame play at the PG position, but they also added Kerry Kittles and RJeff. That combined with much larger roles and better production from KMart & Van Horn led that team to a 26 win improvement. They also solidified their bench with play from Luscious Harris, Aaron Williams, and Jason Collins. You also can't discredit the impact of ridding the team of the other ball hogs, Stephen Jackson and Kendall Gill.

quote:

quote:

All dependent upon the role he is willing to accept.

When Marbury left the Nets that entire team underwent a makeover. Not only did NJ receive hall of fame play at the PG position, but they also added Kerry Kittles and RJeff. That combined with much larger roles and better production from KMart & Van Horn led that team to a 26 win improvement. They also solidified their bench with play from Luscious Harris, Aaron Williams, and Jason Collins. You also can't discredit the impact of ridding the team of the other ball hogs, Stephen Jackson and Kendall Gill.

Oh, I know you did not just forget about Rodney Rogers!

quote:

Backup PG, SG, Center who cares, if they hate him up there and don't want him around why would it be different here? If they've hated him every where he's gone and didn't want him around why would stop number 5 in his career be any different? He doesn't need to be a starter to be a disruption.

Who cares, if the Knicks hated him, the Knicks hated Randolph too, and look at the season he's having.