Sign in to follow this  
Drain-O

The Bench

Coming into this season I read a ton of articles that questioned the Magic's depth and I basically just brushed them off.

Our bench has not been good this year. Battie has looked rusty but is getting steady. AJ has been worse than I expected and Bogans has been steady and does his thing but those are the only guys that SVG trusts.

As of right now our bench is not really contributing and the other teams bench either runs circles around ours or the if the team is winning the other team gets back into the game. Our starting 5 is going to be exhausted at the end of the season if we play like this.

Good teams like the Celtics, Spurs, Lakers, Pistons develop a bench. The list of bench contributors on these teams is to great to list.

So why does our organization get away from this. I know we have alot of money invested in our starters but if our starters in theory build a lead and then bench gives it away and then the starters burn themselves out trying to get that lead back then what are we really doing.

I have no problem with SVG trying to win every game but sometimes that takes away from the big picture. Lee and Gortat need to develop. They have now wasted multiple picks on Franny and JJ who both cleary have no future. They wasted the talents of Ariza (I am still not buying until he plays a whole season) and the list could go on and on. When these guys get so little playing time and then are thrown into the fire they look lost on the court. I know its a fine line between winning and developing but it can be done.

Does our organization really think we are going to be satisfied with 2nd round exits every season or are they going to make a sincere effort to build a solid foundation from 1-12.

I am glad they made the effort to bolster the starting lineup but championship teams get contributions from bench players and develop young talent. A truly great coach can find a way to do both.

Just wanted to vent for a second so feel free to add anything to the discussion....

Coming into this season I read a ton of articles that questioned the Magic's depth and I basically just brushed them off.

Our bench has not been good this year. Battie has looked rusty but is getting steady. AJ has been worse than I expected and Bogans has been steady and does his thing but those are the only guys that SVG trusts.

As of right now our bench is not really contributing and the other teams bench either runs circles around ours or the if the team is winning the other team gets back into the game. Our starting 5 is going to be exhausted at the end of the season if we play like this.

Good teams like the Celtics, Spurs, Lakers, Pistons develop a bench. The list of bench contributors on these teams is to great to list.

So why does our organization get away from this. I know we have alot of money invested in our starters but if our starters in theory build a lead and then bench gives it away and then the starters burn themselves out trying to get that lead back then what are we really doing.

I have no problem with SVG trying to win every game but sometimes that takes away from the big picture. Lee and Gortat need to develop. They have now wasted multiple picks on Franny and JJ who both cleary have no future. They wasted the talents of Ariza (I am still not buying until he plays a whole season) and the list could go on and on. When these guys get so little playing time and then are thrown into the fire they look lost on the court. I know its a fine line between winning and developing but it can be done.

Does our organization really think we are going to be satisfied with 2nd round exits every season or are they going to make a sincere effort to build a solid foundation from 1-12.

I am glad they made the effort to bolster the starting lineup but championship teams get contributions from bench players and develop young talent. A truly great coach can find a way to do both.

Just wanted to vent for a second so feel free to add anything to the discussion....

What needs to be done:

Develop Lee and let him get accustomed to the offense. Even run a play for him every now and then. He has the skills to be beneficial to this team NOW.

Bring Turk off the bench. We need a scoring punch off the bench in a big way. Bogans can chip in 10 pts, but we need more then that. Our offense is just stagnant when the starters go out.

Sign a legit no.2 PG. I like AJ, but he is showing his age, and we need to have a guy who can run the offense and give us more then 2 pts and 1 assist while doing it. He's a great 3rd PG/situational PG, but not what this team needs right now.

Get Cook in the game. Shocking, I know, but he can hit a few 3's and maybe give us 2 rebounds a game when our shots aren't falling with the second unit.

I too thought our bench was deeper this year, but I have been proven wrong thus far.

quote:
Originally posted by Rodriguez:

The Magic doesn't have the money to get good bench players, because we invested $270M in 4 players for the next 5 years.

Pretty much

quote:
Originally posted by truth393:

quote:

The Magic doesn't have the money to get good bench players, because we invested $270M in 4 players for the next 5 years.

Pretty much

And many are proposing shelling out an extra 50 mill for a 5th player.

quote:

The Celtics are paying more money to 3 players than the Magic are paying those 4.

Money would only be an issue if ownership says it is.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:

The Celtics are paying more money to 3 players than the Magic are paying those 4.

But their the defending champ.

quote:

quote:

Agree. This is not about the money but finding the right fits and developing players.

Every team in the NBA spends big on starters.

The key is developing the bench through the draft and spending your other money wisely and having a coach who is patient enough to use young guys in key situations.

quote:
Originally posted by truth393:

quote:

quote:

But their the defending champ.

You are right this only will be an issue if ownership says, but my friend the owner has spoken long time ago. They don't want go over the luxury tax.

quote:
Originally posted by jack daniel 999:

Question ...How long before Dwight has to sit because of his knee {hopefully never but things can happen}

Never. He will just rip off the Warlock's legs and use them until his heals.