Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Denton highly critical of Magic team for failing to build bench(link)

cant lie though, I read that earlier and pretty much agreed down the line...Orlando as a whole has typically had issues with developing talent...Lee, Redick and Gortat would be given solid roles if this were Greg Popovich's squad...Detroit, Boston, SAS, Dallas, LAL and Phoenix are always giving their young players time to find their game...they also all have coaches that specifically work with rookies and younger players...

not to lay much fault on SVG, because I know that he's the kind of coach that needs to see it before he allows them to play for him...but, this early on we need to develop it now...

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

Oh crap. This is bad news for our squad. Otis, fire this fool named Van Gundy and hire Denton.

You can't laugh this one off. Stan sticks around with his starters too much like this would be the finals. The worrisome situation is could we afford an injury in any of th estarter positions without affecting the performance of the team in the post season series? Do you think we could be competitive without Jameer,Turk,Howard,Lewis or even Bogans?

quote:
Originally posted by ibonedteribell:

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

Oh crap. This is bad news for our squad. Otis, fire this fool named Van Gundy and hire Denton.

You can't laugh this one off. Stan sticks around with his starters too much like this would be the finals. The worrisome situation is could we afford an injury in any of th estarter positions without affecting the performance of the team in the post season series? Do you think we could be competitive without Jameer,Turk,Howard,Lewis or even Bogans?

Yes.

Going a small stretch without any one of those players, we would still be competitive. Due to our current shortage at the position, losing Jameer might be the worst of the group.

SVG is playing the guys that can win us ball games. Obviously, it isn't going to be a stroll into the playoffs like last year. Losses to Atlanta and Memphis has shown us this. If you want Gortat, AJ, and Redick playing big minutes, be my guest. I'd love for those guys to develop, but SVG is putting the guys who give us the best chance to win in the game for now. Look how past those big leads slipped away from us last night. THAT'S why the starters are playing big minutes.

Until we get our depth developed or acquire more quality depth, our guys are going to have to be iron man out there.

quote:
Originally posted by truth393:

I wonder what going on with Gortat, I thought he was going to D12 backup.

Gortat seems to have worked himself ahead of Foyle in the depth chart, but still behind Battie. Sounds about right. Battie is still a solid vet that can handle a lengthy run ont eh court, as seen vs Philly.

the rotation has been smaller since the opener this season and I think it has alot to do with Stan wanting to make sure we dont get into a major funk at the start of the season. SVG is a good coach and by the all-star break I think alot of his haters will be kissin his ***.

i'm sure will se the SG Depth go much farther soon as well as Gortat and CLee hopefully as a combo guard.

I personally like the idea of a very consistent 8 man rotation with the reserves essentially acting as 2-3 additional starters.

If Battie & Bogans or whomever is playing 16-28 mins per...that provides a lot more continuity than 4 players playing 8-16 mins per off the bench.