Sign in to follow this  
Jareth Cutestory

The Official 08-09 Weekly Power Rankings Thread

In the comments...

quote:
I'm a Blazer fan but as for Orlando -- those guys can ball. Anyone who doesn't get it yet will come to realize that the Magic have all the pieces for a strong run at the title. Besides Boston and Cleveland, Olando has as good a shot as any for a ring.

I'm somewhat satisfied. We haven't lost two games in a row since the first two games of the beginning of the season. IMO, the Lakers should be behind us.

Its hard to criticize the rankings. I don't think one win against the Lakers is enough to necessarily put us ahead of them in the power rankings (although they did lose to the heat as well). The most we would move up is one spot. I think its a pretty fair ranking.

Snap.

#3 on NBA.com, plus we are the headline for the 2nd time this year.

quote:
By John Schuhmann, NBA.com

Posted Dec 22 2008 12:05PM

Dec. 22, 2008 -- Just two weeks ago, it appeared as if no team not named the Celtics, Cavs or Lakers would be able to rise above No. 4 in the rankings. In fact, it was difficult to find a team that really deserved be be No. 4.

Well, it didn't take long for the Orlando Magic to make their case. And with the help of a Lakers' slump, they have joined their Eastern Conference brethren, Boston and Cleveland, at the top of the rankings.

The Magic's only loss in their last nine games was a one-point defeat in Phoenix. They went 4-1 on their trip out West, which included their last-second win in Portland. Then, they came home to beat the Spurs on Thursday and the Lakers on Saturday.

Of course, a head-to-head win like that may have been enough to put them above L.A. by itself, but the Lakers also dropped one in Miami the night before. Both games came down to the wire, but it's clear that Phil Jackson's team just isn't very sharp these days.

Maybe a matchup with the Celtics on Thursday (5 p.m. ET, ABC) is what the Lakers need to refocus. Speaking of Christmas games, with the Hornets also playing well of late, that New Orleans-Orlando matchup (12 p.m. ET, ESPN) is looking like the second best game of the day.

quote:
Off: 109.2 (13), Def: 103.3 (3)

The Magic are finally healthy, Rashard Lewis and Hedo Turkoglu are starting to shoot well, and Jameer Nelson is on fire. Memo to Grant Hill: Being traded here would be an upgrade from your current situation.

http://www.nba.com/powerrankings/

Good Lord! Can you imagine being the NBA team known for trading for Grant Hill twice?!

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

This team can't handle praise, I hope everybody keeps bashing us, & our players.

+1

quote:
Originally posted by Luke_FfS:

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

This team can't handle praise, I hope everybody keeps bashing us, & our players.

+1

Gives the Magic a purpose huh? It also makes people who I want to look like idiots actually look like Idiots. Example: Bill Walton - "Dwight Howard has yet to win a playoff series".

Lakers lose one more game. We win 3 this week and we should take over...

I think the ranking is dumb, but hey, its ESPN and they have to keep Stern and the league's kids happy..

quote:
Originally posted by Skywise316:

Look at poor Toronto at no. 30.

I don't think we'll get to look forward to a first round playoff series with Jermaine O'Neal.

Double fixed, mah bad.