Sign in to follow this  
Shine88

Breaking News: The Pistons trade Billups and McDyess to the Nuggets for Iverson.

quote:
Originally posted by truth393:

quote:
Originally posted by Skywise316:

Detroit is done as far as winning a championship this year.. Smack's right that this is a great move for the long term of the Pistons, but not so much for this year. Iverson's a great player, but he's a shooting guard in a point guard's body. There's no way he keeps everyone involved like Chauncey has up there. Not to mention losing McDyess hurts their big man depth, now there's a heck of a lot more pressure on Jason Maxiell, who's play is streaky, and Amir Johnson. Also someone's gonna take a back seat.. will it continue to be Stuckey, or will it be Richard Hamilton?

I really see Detroit taking a step back this season, but benefiting in the long term.. and by long term I mean as soon as just next season. More Sportscenter highlights and at least a few less wins.

Basically, there's every reason to cautiously celebrate in Boston, Orlando, and Cleveland.

What is there for us celebrate, AI is still capable of dropping 25 points and 7 assists a night. I say teams should hold the celebration until June.

My my, for a name like "truth", you sure seem reluctant to accept it. Allen isn't going to average large numbers in Detroit. Throughout his career, he's been placed on teams that have given him the freedom to shoot 20+ shots a night, and do you know why? Despite their miracle final's run where they faced the Lakers, Philly's always been a slightly above average team. They drafted the guy #1, therefor they clearly had faith in him. Then he left for Denver, or should I say, Enver, because they focus solely on offense, and play no "D".

He's in Detroit now, an incredibly disciplined, defensive minded team, with players who already grasp the "team" concept of the game. You think Rip, Tay, and even worst of all, Sheed, are going to stand idly and watch AI isolate and take his man one-on-one all night? Not to mention under Michael Curry, as well?!

Not a chance, bud. His production is going to take a pretty severe dip if Detroit is even willing to put up with him.

quote:

quote:

quote:

Detroit is done as far as winning a championship this year.. Smack's right that this is a great move for the long term of the Pistons, but not so much for this year. Iverson's a great player, but he's a shooting guard in a point guard's body. There's no way he keeps everyone involved like Chauncey has up there. Not to mention losing McDyess hurts their big man depth, now there's a heck of a lot more pressure on Jason Maxiell, who's play is streaky, and Amir Johnson. Also someone's gonna take a back seat.. will it continue to be Stuckey, or will it be Richard Hamilton?

I really see Detroit taking a step back this season, but benefiting in the long term.. and by long term I mean as soon as just next season. More Sportscenter highlights and at least a few less wins.

Basically, there's every reason to cautiously celebrate in Boston, Orlando, and Cleveland.

What is there for us celebrate, AI is still capable of dropping 25 points and 7 assists a night. I say teams should hold the celebration until June.

What is there to celebrate?

You don't really think A.I. is half the floor general Billups is, do you? A.I. may get his 25 and 7, but what about the rest of that team? Not to mention he's a weaker defender than Billups as well.

And what's the sense of cutting Juwan Howard if McDyess isn't gonna play for them? I'll make a semi-bold prediction that McDyess stays on that roster and more importantly, becomes a part of Denver's rotation.

Stuckey will get majority of the mins at PG, and I think Detroit will play alot of small ball, with Stuckey and AI in the backcourt and Rip, Prince, and Sheed in the frontcourt.

AI isn't a better floor general than Billups, but with the Pistons being at the top of the league in blocks and defensive rebound, they'll be alot better on fast break with AI.

Honestly, I still think Detroit is dangerous. Yes their defense slips a bit but AI is still a proven scorer that has given us Magic fans nightmares on many occasions.

Not to mention like many on here have said that it gives the Pistons incredible flexibility in the coming years.

I can understand the Nuggets doing this as Melo needs a good distributor and defender as Melo and Iverson are darn near Redick like defensively.

But the Pistons will score plenty with this one, I dont think this hurts them at all

quote:
Originally posted by ThisIsTheYear:

quote:

quote:

My my, for a name like "truth", you sure seem reluctant to accept it. Allen isn't going to average large numbers in Detroit. Throughout his career, he's been placed on teams that have given him the freedom to shoot 20+ shots a night, and do you know why? Despite their miracle final's run where they faced the Lakers, Philly's always been a slightly above average team. They drafted the guy #1, therefor they clearly had faith in him. Then he left for Denver, or should I say, Enver, because they focus solely on offense, and play no "D".

He's in Detroit now, an incredibly disciplined, defensive minded team, with players who already grasp the "team" concept of the game. You think Rip, Tay, and even worst of all, Sheed, are going to stand idly and watch AI isolate and take his man one-on-one all night? Not to mention under Michael Curry, as well?!

Not a chance, bud. His production is going to take a pretty severe dip if Detroit is even willing to put up with him.

The Pistons are doing alot of iso with Prince this year, so why wouldn't they do it with AI? And FYI Curry doesn't call the shot, Joe D does.

I dont really see either team really benefitting here, Chauncey gives them the same stat line as AI except he doesnt score as well, and Nuggets needed a center, not another pf.

All this trade does is take out the only other guy on the nuggets that demanded the ball, I guess now Carmelo is free to hoist up 25 shots a game with no complaint.

And Detroit gave up its glue for a piece of rubber?

I just dont see it working out to well for them

I guess it just means another pg for Nelson to get owned by.

Great trade for the Pistons.

Billups was in steep decline himself. It allows the Pistons to run more with its young, athletic players, they have a go-to scorer who attacks the basket, commands a double team, and will draw fouls. And, they get a player with an intensity and toughness that the core group of this team has lacked the last three seasons.

It guarantees nothing in terms of winning it all, but the Pistons weren't winning it all with Billups either. This gives them a different look. And, even if it doesn't work out, the Pistons dumped two big salaries and traded it for an expiring contract that along with Rasheed's contract will result in potentially $26 million in cap space next summer, to make more moves.

Unless you truly believe the Pistons could have legitimately won an NBA title this season before the trade, it's hard to question the trade from the Pistons standpoint.

quote:
Originally posted by Need4Sheed:

Great trade for the Pistons.

Billups was in steep decline himself. It allows the Pistons to run more with its young, athletic players, they have a go-to scorer who attacks the basket, commands a double team, and will draw fouls. And, they get a player with an intensity and toughness that the core group of this team has lacked the last three seasons.

It guarantees nothing in terms of winning it all, but the Pistons weren't winning it all with Billups either. This gives them a different look. And, even if it doesn't work out, the Pistons dumped two big salaries and traded it for an expiring contract that along with Rasheed's contract will result in potentially $26 million in cap space next summer, to make more moves.

Unless you truly believe the Pistons could have legitimately won an NBA title this season before the trade, it's hard to question the trade from the Pistons standpoint.

Agreed, we traded one declining guard for another declining guard. Except that with Billups we couldn't make a significant signing in the offseason and now we can.

Wow there is a lot of Dumar love going around but this move doesn't prove that he is good at assembling talent. What it proves is that he failed to get adequate talent and now is looking to start over with a big free agent signing this summer. You have had a dominant team for 5 years in a row and couldn't do anything to get them over the top and now you have to start over? I am not saying it's a bad move but I am saying that this means he accepted his core group's inability to win a title and the Pistons are a significantly worse team now. I now don't respect the Pistons ability to match up well with too many playoff teams in the East because the players surrounding AI can not do enough to compensate offensively for what you have lost defensively in Chauncey Billups being downgraded for AI

Trade seems like it works only for us but it doesn't. Know the Magic, they'll probably coast the night away against the Pistons so I don't expect a big difference.

quote:
Originally posted by Kramer:

Wow there is a lot of Dumar love going around but this move doesn't prove that he is good at assembling talent. What it proves is that he failed to get adequate talent and now is looking to start over with a big free agent signing this summer. You have had a dominant team for 5 years in a row and couldn't do anything to get them over the top and now you have to start over? I am not saying it's a bad move but I am saying that this means he accepted his core group's inability to win a title and the Pistons are a significantly worse team now. I now don't respect the Pistons ability to match up well with too many playoff teams in the East because the players surrounding AI can not do enough to compensate offensively for what you have lost defensively in Chauncey Billups being downgraded for AI

Billups' defense continues to be extremely overrated by some fans.

In the last three Eastern Conference Finals, Chauncey has been torched by Jason Williams, Daniel Gibson, and Rajon Rondo. His defense has been exposed since Ben Wallace left and stopped cleaning up all his mistakes. Iverson is not a good defender, but it's certainly not the drop-off you suggest.

As for having a dominant team for 5 years in a row and couldn't get over the top, you might have forgotten that it was FIVE years ago that the Pistons won a championship. There are 26 other teams that haven't sniffed a championship, and 24 of those 26 teams that haven't even sniffed an NBA Finals appearance.

The trade is an acknowledgment that the core has been unable to get where they should have been the last three seasons. Better to get some value for a declining player like Chauncey in not only a player like Iverson, but the added potential of getting a huge amount of cap space for the next two summers.

Iverson actually helps the Pistons match up better against Boston, and they are the main team they need to match-up against. Rajon destroyed Billups off the dribble with his quickness last year. Iverson will at the very least attack him in the same manner at the other end of the floor.

quote:
The Pistons signed guard Richard Hamilton to a three-year, $34 million contract extension on Monday, according to ESPN's Chad Ford.

The first two years of the deal are guaranteed, while the third is partially guaranteed. Hamilton might sacrifice a few shots now that Allen Iverson is a Piston, and owners need to worry about the possible pairing of A.I. and Rodney Stuckey, which could eventually shift Rip to the bench. For now, revel in the job security and hope he gels with Iverson.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3680959