Sign in to follow this  
Shine88

2008-09 All-Decline Team: Taking a step back (John Hollinger)

quote:
Group I: The Fluke Rule guys

Usually, I depend on Fluke Rule players to build a quarter of my All-Decline roster, but they're a scarce breed this season. Only four players qualify for the Fluke Rule, rather than the usual six or seven. Of those, one will miss most or all of the season (Brendan Haywood) and another doesn't have a team yet (Bonzi Wells). That leaves me with a two-man Fluke Rule roster.

The Fluke Rule, if you aren't familiar, states that a player who is older than 28, has a Player Efficiency Rating higher than 14 and increased his PER by at least three points from the previous season is 90 percent likely to perform worse the next season. Last season, the rule went 7-for-7 with Jamaal Tinsley, Mikki Moore, Darrell Armstrong, Chucky Atkins, Tim Duncan, Devin Brown and Ruben Patterson.

quote:
Hedo Turkoglu, Magic

Turkoglu was 28 last season; 28-year-old Fluke Rule guys tend to drop off less harshly than their older brethren. In other respects, however, he's a classic Fluke Rule guy -- he'd never played that well before last season, he shot unusually well on long 2-pointers (48.5 percent, compared to 45.1 percent the previous three seasons) and he glided through the 82-game schedule without suffering so much as a hangnail.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=h...-Decline-Team-081031

Hollinger is a certified Magic hater, he always has something negative to say about the Magic.

quote:
Group I: The Fluke Rule guys

Usually, I depend on Fluke Rule players to build a quarter of my All-Decline roster, but they're a scarce breed this season. Only four players qualify for the Fluke Rule, rather than the usual six or seven. Of those, one will miss most or all of the season (Brendan Haywood) and another doesn't have a team yet (Bonzi Wells). That leaves me with a two-man Fluke Rule roster.

The Fluke Rule, if you aren't familiar, states that a player who is older than 28, has a Player Efficiency Rating higher than 14 and increased his PER by at least three points from the previous season is 90 percent likely to perform worse the next season. Last season, the rule went 7-for-7 with Jamaal Tinsley, Mikki Moore, Darrell Armstrong, Chucky Atkins, Tim Duncan, Devin Brown and Ruben Patterson.

quote:
Hedo Turkoglu, Magic

Turkoglu was 28 last season; 28-year-old Fluke Rule guys tend to drop off less harshly than their older brethren. In other respects, however, he's a classic Fluke Rule guy -- he'd never played that well before last season, he shot unusually well on long 2-pointers (48.5 percent, compared to 45.1 percent the previous three seasons) and he glided through the 82-game schedule without suffering so much as a hangnail.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=h...-Decline-Team-081031

Hollinger is a certified Magic hater, he always has something negative to say about the Magic.

I don't agree with it but I somewhat understand his logic. If he is going to write an article about "fluke guys" it makes sense to select a 28 year old player that out of no where had a career year.

How about teams that will decline with starting point guards from St. Joe.

Thing is I couldn't call him a fluke if his production dips down because we are using a different system and instead of him being our go to guy, he might turn into the third option.

Its a coaching/team adjustment not a player problem..

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

How about teams that will decline with starting point guards from St. Joe.

How you dare talk about mine boy from St.Joe You should go to Maccabi forum. lol

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

I don't agree with it but I somewhat understand his logic. If he is going to write an article about "fluke guys" it makes sense to select a 28 year old player that out of no where had a career year.

Turk always was a good player, he just wasn't getting enough mins early in his career Turk had to play behind Peja, when he was in Sac, and when he was with the Spurs, he got mins and even started half the season for the Spurs in 03-04, but they had him playing out of position at PF, and Brian Hill didn't know how to use Turk.