Sign in to follow this  
Shine88

Are The Magic Contenders? (Kyler)

quote:
On the eve of the regular season tipping off in the NBA, it's becoming obvious the Orlando Magic are not getting the credit or attention that they rightly earned last season.

ESPN's latest power rankings have the Magic as the 13th best team in the league, while Yahoo! users have the Magic ranked 10th best in the league. HOOPSWORLD's rankings have them at six.

Now admittedly the front runners in the league are the Celtics and the Lakers, last year's NBA Finals matchup followed closely by the Hornets.

The next wave as a consensus is the Cavaliers, the Pistons, the Spurs, and the Rockets and so on.

Now this is where the argument comes into play

quote:
On the eve of the regular season tipping off in the NBA, it's becoming obvious the Orlando Magic are not getting the credit or attention that they rightly earned last season.

ESPN's latest power rankings have the Magic as the 13th best team in the league, while Yahoo! users have the Magic ranked 10th best in the league. HOOPSWORLD's rankings have them at six.

Now admittedly the front runners in the league are the Celtics and the Lakers, last year's NBA Finals matchup followed closely by the Hornets.

The next wave as a consensus is the Cavaliers, the Pistons, the Spurs, and the Rockets and so on.

Now this is where the argument comes into play

Sorta off topic, but in relation to Kyler's argument about Jameer being like Rondo, Alston and Fisher.

Why is it that when Arroyo and Dooling are not our team, it is a major concern and every NBA analyst mentions it as a major loss for us, yet when they were on our team we never heard them mentioned a strength for us?

I just don't get it. Nobody ever said "The Magic have a 3 headed PG onslaught that gives other teams nightmares". Now all you hear is "The Magic lost 2 major players at the guard sports in Arroyo and Dooling, and didn't gain much with Johnson and Pietrus".

Boggles my mind. Am I right?

I thought it was mandatory if JJ was mentioned to post a quote, so here it is from the article above.

The Magic's biggest area of weakness last year was the two-guard spot, and while national pundits may not be buying into Mickael Pietrus or J.J. Redick as prominent players, both were lights-out in pre-season and both are going to surprise a lot of people who haven't seen them play. The space that Dwight Howard creates really benefits players like Redick and Pietrus

quote:
Let's set to the side the fact the Magic were 6-1 in pre-season and won six straight. That puts Orlando in the same company with the 7-0 Hornets, the 6-2 LA Lakers, the 6-1 Denver Nuggets, the 6-2 Boston Celtics and 6-2 Detroit Pistons.

That would sure have more of an impact if Denver hadn't been in the discussion.

Jameer does have a similar statline but the difference is his defense. Rondo and Fisher are much better defenders than Jameer will ever be. I don't think the point guard position is necessarily a weakness but it is a cause of concern for me.

I have to agree being one of the biggest homers here{yes I admit it}...

On to the finals and WE WILL SHOW THE NAYSAYERS as we did last season winning our Division.

It's on to the next step.

Dwight's more serious than he's ever been...

Rashard is taking his game to another level...

Turk's in a contract year...

Pietrus is going to shut down all those extra points that killed us in close games ...

Jameer will score and AJ will keep the scorers going with experience assists and defense..

Marcin will have a break out year...

Let's not forget Bogans and JJ ...

Offense and defense this season is the name of the game for these two...

Lee watch him grow...

Battie and Cook we will see { the only two I worry about}...

and finally do you think SVG will settle for anything less than last season...

No way !!!

And in the end it's the Finals and beyond.

quote:
And in the end it's the Finals and beyond.

Beyond? Are they traveling to Mars afterwards?

Once you reach the Finals, Stern sends you to a bunker in Arizona where they clone NBA championship teams. Once cloned, the Magic will have to face their clone counterparts, except for Gortat, who simply looks at his clone and watches him crumble.

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

Sorta off topic, but in relation to Kyler's argument about Jameer being like Rondo, Alston and Fisher.

Why is it that when Arroyo and Dooling are not our team, it is a major concern and every NBA analyst mentions it as a major loss for us, yet when they were on our team we never heard them mentioned a strength for us?

I just don't get it. Nobody ever said "The Magic have a 3 headed PG onslaught that gives other teams nightmares". Now all you hear is "The Magic lost 2 major players at the guard sports in Arroyo and Dooling, and didn't gain much with Johnson and Pietrus".

I think its just jameers history or injuries and seemingly at times coasting.

We all know arroyo was just a second rate jameer, he was a lesser duplication of another short PG's abilities we already had signed to a contract(had to cut the fat letting los go).keyon was just a midget SG, even more so of a SG than jameer.

Its blatantly obvious AJ is a far superior backup point than keyon and especially arroyo. hes bringing defense on par with keyon and no and1 no look passes into the 3rd row like arroyo. plus he doesnt jack up ill advised no ball movement early in the shot clock shots like

arroyo would.

i agree with steve kylers general sentiment of the article regarding the magic's PG spot

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

I think the "experts" are just exaggerating the losses. Arroyo, Dooling and Jameer were, are and will never be a scary combination as they were unfortunately not able to combine their powers as in Voltron which would be the only way for them to cause any nightmare to elite/good pg's in the league..