Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Bogans back ahead of J.J.? Otis is scanning other teams rosters(Denton)

Of course there are ways to improve quickness! An exercise as simple as setting up a bunch of tires and running through them will greatly improve quickness if done repeatedly.

You are seriously reaching here Junkie.

Man if you played the game at all, even at the Highschool level you have to understand what I am talking about with seeing plays before they happen, and that being related to experience, and confidence, not second guessing your self. I know you know what I am talking about, and I am sorry If I came off condicending earlier, but the fact remains it is pretty much a proven fact that one can not only become a faster runner, and can also improve quickness.

Here is an interesting fact, your reaction time is not constant, so in a sense you are actually quicker or slower on any given day, or even a given time, minute, or moment. Just by that fact alone you could have increased quickness over a short period of time, with out doing any thing to even try to help.

Again by reducing you amount of body fat, one should increase in quickness, I don't believe there is a specific mathematical equation to explain this, but common sense tells you!!

JJ played 4 years for coach K. Don't you think if he could be quicker and a better defender, they would have done that?

Oh, and there is a big difference between running a track sprint and being quick on a basketball court.

Also, just because you can find results on the internet doesn't make it fact. I know. Shocking.

Now, I'm not saying I'm agreeing with Junkie, but some of the arguments you guys are making are pretty weak. The fact of the matter is there is no way to definitively say whether quickness can be improved or not, because it is difficult to measure.

some people just don't get it. great athletes dont always become the best at their sport. being a good basketball player is sbout knowledge, composure, decision making, positioning, etc. jj is doing all these thing better this year. lets be happy. the magic are better off if he is improving. jacklj

quote:
Originally posted by TheRevTy:

JJ played 4 years for coach K. Don't you think if he could be quicker and a better defender, they would have done that?

Oh, and there is a big difference between running a track sprint and being quick on a basketball court.

Also, just because you can find results on the internet doesn't make it fact. I know. Shocking.

Now, I'm not saying I'm agreeing with Junkie, but some of the arguments you guys are making are pretty weak. The fact of the matter is there is no way to definitively say whether quickness can be improved or not, because it is difficult to measure.

Look no further than the reflection in your monitor my friend. I'm not sure why you are all up in arms jumping to defend BJ, but in this case he is just plain wrong.

Speed, quickness, agility, reaction time, reflexes, these are things that can be improved. Quickness can be measured. Easily. It has been proven, scientifically that it can be increased. I'm not quite sure where you are coming from here, maybe you are a scientologist or just refuse to believe scintific fact, but your position is both interesting, and troubling at the same time.

Now, if you want to take the position that a person has some inheritant ceiling on their physical abilities, beyond which improvement can not be realized, and that JJ has realized his ceiling, well then, agree or not, at least you are takign a semi reasonable position.

quote:
Originally posted by TheRevTy:

I have answers to both of your arguments.

No Duke, or coach K might not have been able to help JJ too much.

College players go to classes, and do other things besides just basketball. As a pro athelete he can now work on this all day, no other distractions, only basketball, evidence of this is his reported drop in body fat, which is pretty key to this arguement, that is what all strength and conditioning coaches, personal trainers will tell you to do first to improve quickness. He has done that, or it was reported at the start of training camp that he did, I will not look up the data though. Also his dispicable and no doubt over inflated ego had not been popped at that time by the harsh reality of the speed and quickness in the NBA game.

Second my earlier arguemet of the 100 meter Vs the 200 meter. "Quickness is a huge part of 100 meter run, your start, and or reaction time is everything, some guys who didn't really accellerate to a high velocity, did start out, or improve their start out speed and post respectable times, in the 100 meter, and then when they run the 200, still a sprint, but a long one, they had horrendous times. Why is that you ask, because they were quick but not fast.!!!!!!!" would imply, and define the difference we speak of between quickness and speed. Speed being the final or highest velocity reached, and quickness bieng the rate of acceleration to that terminal velocity.

But if you want more, look for your own eyes or even just look at the stat column after the games JJ is playing "better" on the defensive side of the ball.

If you arn't convinced that quickness can be increased in the human subject, and I agree there are many scams on the internet, trying to sell you something, then look in a Scientific Journal, I am sure that some where someone has done a study on this very topic. there should be hard scientific data there. If you make me look this up though I will become volitile, and certainly flame this topic to eternity, and neverendingly destroy your credibility.

quote:
Originally posted by magicfreak#1:

just look at the stat column after the games JJ is playing "better" on the defensive side of the ball.

What basketball stat do you think demostrates that JJ is better defensively?

What basketball stat do you think demonstrates that he's noticeably quicker?

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:

just look at the stat column after the games JJ is playing "better" on the defensive side of the ball.

I tell you what Redick held his own against Wade the other night, and he averaging close to 2 steal a game.

Opposing player point total, Duh!!!, how bout + - stat, even blocked shots and steals, have improved from 0 - 1. Again I'm not saying JJ has put him self past the 4th best guard in the rotation, right now I have him 3, but thats not relevant to this discussion, I am just saying he does appear quicker when you watch him, and yes it is a proven fact human beings can increase their reaction time, and quickness: ability to accelerate to terminal velocity.

quote:
Originally posted by truth393:

quote:

quote:

I tell you what Redick held his own against Wade the other night, and he averaging close to 2 steal a game.

a) He guarded him for 6 minutes, and by all accounts did adequately. I didn't see the game, so I won't pass judgement on that particular game.

B) In a cosmic sense, yes, .4 steals per game is close to 2. However, in terms of basketball stats, it's not all that close.

quote:

Opposing player point total, Duh!!!, how bout + - stat, even blocked shots and steals, have improved from 0 - 1. Again I'm not saying JJ has put him self past the 4th best guard in the rotation, right now I have him 3, but thats not relevant to this discussion, I am just saying he does appear quicker when you watch him, and yes it is a proven fact human beings can increase their reaction time, and quickness: ability to accelerate to terminal velocity.

I wasn't arguing that he hasn't gotten quicker. The increase in quickness I've actually witnessed has been minimal, but that doesn't mean it isn't there. What I said was that there is no basketball stat that measures a player's quickness.

And the Lenovo stat is more or less useless when it isn't baselined and hasn't had time to balance out anomaly games, blocked shots and steals don't always reflect defensive acumen(for every Olajuwon and Payton, there's a Camby and Iverson) and since no one actually records Against stats in the preseason, all you have to judge that by are your own memories of events, and in the case of this board, I'd have to be 800x more generous than I am before I'd even say that the majority of this board is ONLY completely biased in favor of JJ.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by truth393:

quote:

quote:

a) He guarded him for 6 minutes, and by all accounts did adequately. I didn't see the game, so I won't pass judgement on that particular game.

B) In a cosmic sense, yes, .4 steals per game is close to 2. However, in terms of basketball stats, it's not all that close.

Yes, but still an improvement from the non stop abuse he suffered last season, would you not agree?