Sign in to follow this  
Tough Break There

So the Shaq Countdown Begins

quote:
Originally posted by Live or Die Magic:

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

He might, he might not, but the point is, you don't rule it out because of false pride.

Can we at least call it "wounded" pride or even "misplaced" pride? "False" pride implies that it isn't genuine or isn't real, and that isn't the case.

I think any fan - or member of the Magic organization - still hurt by Shaq's departure is justified. I say this while simultaneously appreciating your argument about not hindering the progress of the team based solely on past slights.

I disagree, at least as far as the fans go. It might feel real, but unless you are part of the Orlando Magic organization (aside from being charged will silly moderator duties on a message board), then any connection, pride, loyalty, etc. is all just a part of the marketing program of the team and the NBA. Suckers.

You are part of the organization if you are a magic fan. Without fans there's no team. So the truth finally comes out.

Echo is not really a magic fan!!!! He's another poser in here to disrupt the natural flow of the forums...you forum nazi!

quote:
Originally posted by davcivic:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Maybe pride? maybe loyalty?

but 2 years from now. Shaq will be what, 37 or 38? I am not sure, but will he be better than Gortat in 2 years? I doubt it, the guy can hardly move on the court now.

What about redemption?

What about the loyalty of giving his last year to the team that he started with, the pride of bringing a championship to Orlando?

Now, because Gortat didn't play much during the season, and to account for Shaq's drop off in production, this comparison is only from last years playoffs, but...

Gortat averaged 1.3 points, 1 rebound, and half a block in 6 minutes per game.

Say what you want about Shaq getting up and down the court, or his age, but those numbers above are a far cry from Shaq's 15.2 points, 9.2 rebounds, and 2.6 blocks in 30 minutes per game.

Roughly, that's about 3 times more productive than Gortat per minute. Plus you get an experienced center who you can run an offense through if need be, someone who has been in big game situations before, someone who can back up Dwight for more than 6 minutes a game if Dwight gets into foul trouble, or (god forbid) gets injured.

Redemption? Shaq is the one that needs to redeem himself, not the magic organization. He is the one that left and left us screwed over for many years.

I don't want him to come here and start saying that we won it because of him and no one else.

Oh you are comparing the 5 minutes a game Gortat played, to the 30+minutes a game Shaq played. Do the math of per 48 numbers and maybe they won't be so far appart.

Okay smart guy... I was talking abotu Shaq redeeming himself in the eyes of the Orlando Magic fans. He can't do that if you don't give him a chance.

Second, maybe you should have checked the numbers per 48 yourself before opening your mod mouth.

Shaq per 48 (in playoffs):24.32 points, 14.72 rebounds, 4.16 blocks

Gortat per 48 (in playoffs):10.4 points, 8 rebounds, 4 blocks

Maybe you mods just need to get off your high horse and do a little research before you open your mouths and spread more ignorance.

And you prove my point. We don't need a backup center that scores 24 points. We need defense. Gortat will give you almost as many rebounds and blocks. AND HE IS A ROOKIE WITH POTENTIAL...

Are you on Shaq's payroll? Are you one of his manmaids? because the only way you can defend a man like that is if you are used to cleaning the toilet after him.

You are so right... 8 rebounds in 48 minutes is almost the same as 14.72 in 48 minutes. Did you fail math?

That's closer to a 2:1 ration in favor of Shaq, and Shaq also has a slight edge in blocks. Couple that with the fact that teams have to stay honest on defense against Shaq, where as they can cheat and play off of Gortat, and you are a fool to continue this discussion based on your current platform.

Give a guy a little power (mod) and look what happens.

Where you fail is to realize the other side of the equation. Dwight is already in there getting you 16 rebounds a night. You bring Shaq here and he won't be getting 14 per 48. Besides Shaq will be 2 years older and won't be able to even jump a 6" curb.

in the end I can assure you there wouldn't be a drop in production between the two, In fact Gortat will give you more.

And you want to know how I know this.....I drive a DeLorean

Mods, am I allowed to say: "I agree with Echo on this since his argument actually makes sense", or will that land me another warning and/or suspension threat for "instigating and perpetuating a personal argument" again(your words)?

quote:

You are part of the organization if you are a magic fan. Without fans there's no team. So the truth finally comes out.

Echo is not really a magic fan!!!! He's another poser in here to disrupt the natural flow of the forums...you forum nazi!

That's the illusion that the NBA wants you to buy into. I'm a fan of the Magic, I enjoy watching their product, just like I enjoy going to the movies, I enjoy the entertainment. I don't Kidd myself into believing that I am a part of the organization, because I know, the only reason they want me to feel like I am is so they can make more money.

As far as your ignorant forum Nazi comment goes... which one of us blindly enofrces rules here?

quote:

Where you fail is to realize the other side of the equation. Dwight is already in there getting you 16 rebounds a night. You bring Shaq here and he won't be getting 14 per 48. Besides Shaq will be 2 years older and won't be able to even jump a 6" curb.

in the end I can assure you there wouldn't be a drop in production between the two, In fact Gortat will give you more.

And you want to know how I know this.....I drive a DeLorean

Ignorance is bliss. Minute for minute, any sane, rational person would rather have Shaq at center over Gortat. Besides, Shaq doesn't have to use insane leaping ability to get rebounds, he has the size to battle for position, the footwork to maintain the advantage, and the smarts to overcome his fleeting athletic ability with wisdom and intelligent play. He can still command a double team on offense, and is a more than capable passer out of said double team.

But, by all means, go with a lesser player out of some ill conceived feeling of pride.

Shaq's a d1ck. And so is his dad or step dad. I was at a game a few years ago when the Lakers were in town and me and some buddies were expressing our displeasure for shaq and next thing I know shaq's parental figure is nose to nose with one of my buddies exchanging vulgarities loudly. Some of the Arena staff had to step in to seperate them and told us that he was like that. Thought he was royalty or something. Like he owned that place. Needless to say shaq and his entire family can go blow themselves!

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

Mods, am I allowed to say: "I agree with Echo on this since his argument actually makes sense", or will that land me another warning and/or suspension threat for "instigating and perpetuating a personal argument" again(your words)?

No DOM, you are not allowed to disagree with the MODs, or else you will get the ban hammer brought down upon you.

Power tripping kids with no sense of purpose in life.

I hereby proclaim MOD to be a four letter word!

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

No DOM, you are not allowed to disagree with the MODs, or else you will get the ban hammer brought down upon you.

Power tripping kids with no sense of purpose in life.

I hereby proclaim MOD to be a four letter word!

It's a gavel!

Anyways, I haven't the slightest clue why this is being argued as if Shaq is actually on the current roster. The sad truth is that Shaq has been on a steady decline since he arrived on the HEAT, and two years from now he'll be reduced to a pile of inedible hamburgers. By then, I honestly believe that he'd be nothing more than a moderately rich man's Foyle.

quote:
I don't think Shaq should be rewarded for being a "traitor" to this franchise by giving him a chance to get yet another ring at the end of his career only to inflate his ego more(is that even possible). That is if we are really championship caliber in the next 2 or 3 years.

Water under the bridge to me. I think even most Magic fans realize that Shaq was to big a fish for this pond in the 1990's. We're lucky we had him for even a time.

I'm surprised that some would consider Shaq's outsized personality an issue. I've actually always considered it one of his biggest assets. Especially for a team in a small city that my need some confidence.

And I'm not sure I'm even looking at this from a purely basketball perspective (i.e., would he be better than Gortat). The truth is Shaq's return and a championship run in a new stadium would be a bizarre but fitting circle for the city.