Sign in to follow this  
LanceD

Rudolph responds to Rosen's criticism of Dwight

Good article. Rudolph didnt kiss Dwights *** but he pointed out what seemed to be missed by 99% of the sports media. DWIGHT DID HIS JOB! He did the best he could in a game that is tailored to the exact opposite of how he plays. For the record I give Dwight a C+ for his play on team USA. I dont think you can give him much more simply because his game is not suited to dominate international play.

I was trying to decide where to post this, well I will here.

I think Howard did what I would expect of him in the Olympics. I always thought he was going to be more of a defender rebounder than a scorer. I don't think International play favors guard play that much, but it favors some perimeter offense since the access to the paint may be harder. Being that Dwight is more about dunks and short layups and International play is not that much into 1-on-1, Howard will struggle. I think that's ok as long as the USA team has more offensive, which will be easy.

Howard's game is better for the NBA. That's not FIBA's fault. FIBA is how the rest of the world plays the game, the NBA is just one league. I don't think the world needs to adjust to the NBA if the NBA decides to change rules for one reason or another. The NBA needs to adapt, and it shouldn't be that hard considering the athletic advantage they have.

When I saw how this team was being organized, I thought they were going to end up winning the gold again. It was just a matter of doing the things the right way. The USA still has superior athletes. It's not as easy as before though, and maybe the world is catching up, but not as fast as some people thought IMO.

As I understand it FIBA will be adjusting some of their rules in time for the 2012 Olympics including extending the 3pt line (not to NBA distance though) and making the lane a rectangle instead of a trapezoid. That could be a change that allows post players and especially ones with limited range to have a bigger impact on offense.

I get the feeling that Rosen formed his opinion based on a stat sheet rather than watching every game. Maybe when these changes go into effect the lazy stat guys will have something to talk about.

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

As I understand it FIBA will be adjusting some of their rules in time for the 2012 Olympics including extending the 3pt line (not to NBA distance though) and making the lane a rectangle instead of a trapezoid. That could be a change that allows post players and especially ones with limited range to have a bigger impact on offense.

I get the feeling that Rosen formed his opinion based on a stat sheet rather than watching every game. Maybe when these changes go into effect the lazy stat guys will have something to talk about.

The rules will change from 1st october 2010, just after the next World Championship.

http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/newsid/24352/arti.html

Those are the most important changes:

quote:
Art. 2.2.3 Free-throw lines and restricted areas

The restricted areas shall be the floor rectangle areas marked on the playing court.

The restricted (three-second) area shall be a rectangle (not anymore a trapezoid) as per Diagram 1 below.

quote:
Art. 2.2.4 Three-point field goal area

The distance of the three-point line shall be 6,75 m (and not 6,25 m as present).

quote:
Art. 2.2.7 No-charge semicircles

The no-charge semicircles shall be marked on the playing court, under the baskets. The distance of the inner edge of the semicircles shall be 1,25 m from the centre of the basket (on the floor).

A charging (offensive) foul should never be called if the contact by the offensive player is with the defensive player standing within the no-charge semicircle.

Seems to be a "NBA like" type of changes.

quote:
Originally posted by Luke_FfS:

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

The rules will change from 1st october 2010, just after the next World Championship.

http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/newsid/24352/arti.html

Those are the most important changes:

quote:
Art. 2.2.3 Free-throw lines and restricted areas

The restricted areas shall be the floor rectangle areas marked on the playing court.

The restricted (three-second) area shall be a rectangle (not anymore a trapezoid) as per Diagram 1 below.

quote:
Art. 2.2.4 Three-point field goal area

The distance of the three-point line shall be 6,75 m (and not 6,25 m as present).

quote:
Art. 2.2.7 No-charge semicircles

The no-charge semicircles shall be marked on the playing court, under the baskets. The distance of the inner edge of the semicircles shall be 1,25 m from the centre of the basket (on the floor).

A charging (offensive) foul should never be called if the contact by the offensive player is with the defensive player standing within the no-charge semicircle.

Seems to be a "NBA like" type of changes.

I just hope they are not doing it to help the NBA adjust, it wouldn't be fair and they don't need it anyway.

I also hope they don't adopt the defensive 3 second rule. I think that particularly makes the NBA more favoring to guard and low post play than FIBA. I also would find it very annoying if I was a low post defender lol.

I think they are trying to bring FIBA more in line with the NBA so there isn't such a drastic change when international players go to the NBA and when NBA players compete in international competion. I think it was done to help out everyone involved.

Personally I like it most because we may get some more international big men that are true post players rather than jump shooters.