Sign in to follow this  
MagicFanBen

Here is what's sad....

Well I was looking at You Tube and watching this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZxUUa2KBIg&feature=related

I think it is so sad that our best years and to date the most memorable involve 3 people that will never be honor by fans or the organization and that is for many reasons.

Shaq, Penny and Brian Hill.

Watching the video made me remember how great it was for those 2-3 very few years. So sad that the moments like that in Franchise history cannot be honored because of the way each individual left the team. Shaq totally screwed over the team, fans and organization, Penny decided he would blame everyone when he left and burn his bridge really good and well Brian Hill returned as a coach and reminded us why we lost to Houston in 4 straight games.

It is even just as sad that the voice of the Magic during those years "Goose" Givens had his troubles that will end any thought of him returning either. Just is amazing and sad at the same time that the Early years of the team still stand as the greatest ones and yet none of the memorable people from those years could possibly ever return for any type of recognition. Makes you wonder how or why it all went wrong??? You can blame RDV all you want, but too many of the bad things that happened were definitely not in his control

Just thought I would ask members of the forum on what they thought about this since the offseason is so slow.

I think it is so sad that our best years and to date the most memorable involve 3 people that will never be honor by fans or the organization and that is for many reasons.

Watching the video made me remember how great it was for those 2-3 very few years. So sad that the moments like that in Franchise history cannot be honored because of the way each individual left the team. Shaq totally screwed over the team, fans and organization, Penny decided he would blame everyone when he left and burn his bridge really good and well Brian Hill returned as a coach and reminded us why we lost to Houston in 4 straight games.

It is even just as sad that the voice of the Magic during those years "Goose" Givens had his troubles that will end any thought of him returning either. Just is amazing and sad at the same time that the Early years of the team still stand as the greatest ones and yet none of the memorable people from those years could possibly ever return for any type of recognition. Makes you wonder how or why it all went wrong??? You can blame RDV all you want, but too many of the bad things that happened were definitely not in his control

Just thought I would ask members of the forum on what they thought about this since the offseason is so slow.

quote:
Originally posted by MagicFanBen:

The Magic have honored Skiles, Jeff Turner, Nick Anderson, Dennis Scott, etc etc etc. Given how they've repeatedly brought Shaq in to do interviews about the above players during nights when they were honored, it's practically a given that Shaq will be honored after he retires.

They honored B. Hill by giving him his job back a second time; a job he'd done nothing to earn.

As for Goose Givens, why would the Magic want to associate themselves with a man who, AT BEST, made a series of mind-bendingly stupid decisions that culminated in him going swimming with and then subsequently being alone with a 14 year old girl in her bedroom, and at worst tried to **** said 14 year old girl?

You forget exactly how special a player Penny was because of how he left. I've been a magic fan since day one, can name every draft pick and free agent signing through the years, and it feels like I have a memory block when it comes to that time frame. Maybe its post tramatic stress dsorder. I'll say this though, there was a reason that team never won the championship, and it wasn't talent. There is a reason they will never be honored, and to tell you the truth, it's sad for everyone concerned. But I know that I'm tired of hearing everyone b**ch about how we never had another team as good as that one. I'd rather have a bunch off guys that are really good on and off the court (like now) with a chance every year than watch another team implode like that one did. Personalities, work ethic, and heart matter, and that team, whether it was Shaq or Penny, didn't have it. At least not where they were in their carreers. Shaq got it later (maybe or maybe it was just that he had the 2nd best player of all time next to him)but they were a couple of babies while they were here and they didn't have Phill Jackson to smooth out theier egos.

But that highlight real was Bad*ss.

quote:
Originally posted by DaveCorzineLives!:

You forget exactly how special a player Penny was because of how he left. I've been a magic fan since day one, can name every draft pick and free agent signing through the years, and it feels like I have a memory block when it comes to that time frame. Maybe its post tramatic stress dsorder. I'll say this though, there was a reason that team never won the championship, and it wasn't talent. There is a reason they will never be honored, and to tell you the truth, it's sad for everyone concerned. But I know that I'm tired of hearing everyone b**ch about how we never had another team as good as that one. I'd rather have a bunch off guys that are really good on and off the court (like now) with a chance every year than watch another team implode like that one did. Personalities, work ethic, and heart matter, and that team, whether it was Shaq or Penny, didn't have it. At least not where they were in their carreers. Shaq got it later (maybe or maybe it was just that he had the 2nd best player of all time next to him)but they were a couple of babies while they were here and they didn't have Phill Jackson to smooth out theier egos.

But that highlight real was Bad*ss.

Like you I have a memory block for that time frame too. I think once Shaq bolted many fans started to block it all out.

Yeah that highlight reel was bad A$S for sure. I forgot ho great of a passer Penny was. I have to disagree a little with DOM. I think the reason we did not win a championship was pretty simple.

First off I am not sure many people remember, but we had a 20 point lead in game 1 of the finals against Houston. Everyone remembers Nick blowing the foul shots, but the 20 point lead was washed away in large part because Brian Hill went to the well one too many times and did not have clutch plays for the team downt he stretch. After that game one loss we were so young as a team (Every start I believe was under 28 and Shaq & Penny were 25). The the following year Shaq was definitely focused on leaving. He missed the first 20 games because of a thumb injury that was not that bad. Greg Oden injury was way worse and he played with a soft cast. The in the ECF against the Bulls it was the most uninspired play by Shaq I ever saw in the playoffs. He knew he was leaving.

Once he left it became a house of cards. Had he not left there is a very good chance Penny would not have blown out his knee. Carrying the entire load proved too much for Penny and it rubbed off on everyone on the team.

What I think is funny is that Penny gets blamed for the firing of Brian Hill (the leader always takes the fall). Yet Brian Hill returned to show the team, fans and the organization exactly why he got fired the first time.

Also to DOM, I as one fan will not like it if the team honor's Shaq at all. I would much rather them honor Hardaway. He left because the team did not want him anymore, he may have had issues with Hill and been the one that took the fall for him getting fired, but he cared about the team and the city when he was here. Once he was blamed for the firing and took a lot of the back lash who could blame him for being upset when he left.

Shaq and Grant Hill should never be honored by the Magic. They should always be vilified.

There is no player in the NBA that I can think of that makes me more sad than Penny Hardaway. Seriously, it's hard for me to even think about him.

He was a 6'7 Magic Johnson that could jump through the sky. And then? Well, he just cracked.

Sad.

I don't think we should hold anything against Penny. I must admit that I was one of those Magic fans who rolled my eyes at Penny. But as it turned out, he was right about BHill. At least Penny didn't bolt like Grant and Shaq.

BHill is not the only coach in NBA history who was fired because the team's star player complained to management about the coach.

So, no, nothing should be held against Penny.

Sad thing is I never really appreciated Shaq when he was with the Magic, I kinda didn't like hin cause he left me standing outside a car dealership for 4 hours with his rookie card to sign, and he finally showed up,and just shook my hand.

Then he one 3 championships with the Lakers and 1 with the heat, and suddenly I missed him.

quote:
Originally posted by TrueMagicFan07:

I don't think we should hold anything against Penny. I must admit that I was one of those Magic fans who rolled my eyes at Penny. But as it turned out, he was right about BHill. At least Penny didn't bolt like Grant and Shaq.

BHill is not the only coach in NBA history who was fired because the team's star player complained to management about the coach.

So, no, nothing should be held against Penny.

I am with you, Penny did not bolt. He took an unfair shake on the first Brian Hill firing and unfortunately was really sour about the organization when he left. Seemed like the same sour feeling occurred when TMAC left which to me speaks about the organization moreso than the players. I say we as fans start to ask for Penny to be honored. He really did do a lot for the organization. It is so sad he did not end his career the way it started. He was definitely a 90's version of Magic Johnson.

That is one of the players I wish could be duplicated for this upcoming generation who weren't able to watch him...kids like my son who never saw Penny. I've shown him some videos on youtube and highlight reals and what not, which are pretty impressive, but don't do any justice.

I mean, you can find videos on Michael and Larry and Magic in Walmart for goodness sake...but if Penny could've continued his legacy, I believe he'd be in the HOF...he was just that good.

And yes, I agree. Sad and disappointing would describe how Penny's career has turned since the mid 90s. Such a shame.

quote:
Originally posted by You're Fat, Pat!:

That is one of the players I wish could be duplicated for this upcoming generation who weren't able to watch him...kids like my son who never saw Penny. I've shown him some videos on youtube and highlight reals and what not, which are pretty impressive, but don't do any justice.

I mean, you can find videos on Michael and Larry and Magic in Walmart for goodness sake...but if Penny could've continued his legacy, I believe he'd be in the HOF...he was just that good.

And yes, I agree. Sad and disappointing would describe how Penny's career has turned since the mid 90s. Such a shame.

I remember Penny being good, but watching the video I cannot bring myself to remember him being that good until reminded by a video like that. People compared TMAC to him when he was here and he might be the closest thing since Penny, but now I realize there was only one Penny. Thinking about it makes me think of all my old Magic gear I used to have from that era. The Pin Striped Magic winter coat and the shoes, I had it all. If that team could have stayed together I firmly believe Michael Jordan would have never won 3 more championships. I think it would have been just that one more from 1996 and that would have been it. That entire team was in its prime.

It was like as soon as Shaq left every player imploded in someway. The only ones that stayed professional IMO was Darryl, Horace and Nick. But we had problems with Penny & Dennis. Had problems with Rony and those guys we traded for from UTAH that REFUSED to come to the Magic. BShaw left on bad terms. We did get Darryl's best years once Penny was traded, but that is really not much when you think about it.

The lineup of Penny, Nick, Dennis, Horace and Shaq. Then having BShaw, Darryl as our top 2 guys off the bench. Not to mention we would have had a deeper bench because we would have signed a player in 1996 instead of losing Shaq. Hard to still carry the hate, but Shaq was the stone that started everything rolling down the hill.