Sign in to follow this  
gobucsmagic

Worried about Dwight

I'm watching the Angola vs. USA game and for the third straight game Dwight's play, activity level, and just overall body language is just horrible. I don't know if he's tired of not getting the ball, or intimidated by being on a team with this kind of makeup, but he is definitely not engaged and not playing with any fervor or energy. He's not even rebounding!

Is anyone else noticing this and is anyone else as concerned as I am? I just see a guy who looks a little immature and is pouting, rather than putting his stamp on the game with hustle and energy. Likewise, I'm annoyed that Dwight NEVER gets a loose ball below his knees and I've NEVER seen him hit the floor for a loose ball for team USA or the Orlando Magic.

I'm not trying to dump on Dwight, but he is our franchise and we can only go as far as he takes us. IMO he has a long ways to go maturity and intensity wise if he ever wants to be an NBA champion. Just my observations and two cents...

I'm watching the Angola vs. USA game and for the third straight game Dwight's play, activity level, and just overall body language is just horrible. I don't know if he's tired of not getting the ball, or intimidated by being on a team with this kind of makeup, but he is definitely not engaged and not playing with any fervor or energy. He's not even rebounding!

Is anyone else noticing this and is anyone else as concerned as I am? I just see a guy who looks a little immature and is pouting, rather than putting his stamp on the game with hustle and energy. Likewise, I'm annoyed that Dwight NEVER gets a loose ball below his knees and I've NEVER seen him hit the floor for a loose ball for team USA or the Orlando Magic.

I'm not trying to dump on Dwight, but he is our franchise and we can only go as far as he takes us. IMO he has a long ways to go maturity and intensity wise if he ever wants to be an NBA champion. Just my observations and two cents...

Figured I'd get a response like that. Go drink your koolaid and leave the discussion to those who give a crap.

Edit: My apologies, you hadnt added the "in all seriousness" part when I responded.

Whoa there gobucsmagic...take a breather.

I think his response was legit...I mean he is probably a little annoyed that he is the last option but with Kobe, Bron Bron, and D Wade on the floor, it is to be expected. I don't base his future success here on what he does in the Olympics. He does have maturing to do, but plenty of time to do it. I see you're point, but am not worried about it.

HMC

quote:
Originally posted by WPMagic:

Let's trade him for Crittenton and Darko.

In all seriousness though, it seems like he's just not that happy with being the 5th option no matter who is on the floor...

I agree. The little bit I watched against China he was getting post position almost everytime down the floor and they ignored him basically every trip. The only score I saw was a dunk. International play is just not for big men like Dwight although I think as the competition gets better you will see him raise the intensity level.

I thought he looked better today than he did against China. He was solid defensively, even if he wasn't putting up the rebounding numbers we're used to. The game against China was definitely less than impressive though.

I think its a tough adjustment for him. Orlando relies so much on what he can do - and with this team, no matter what, he's coming out of the game after playing 5 minutes. Plus, I think Dwight functions a lot better with Chris Paul and his movement - but they don't play together a lot because Dwight is in the rotation with Kidd. He did get into a confrontation with a player today. Which I don't even mind. As long as it doesn't escalate. The throwing your hands up and looking at the refs has to stop though. All in all, I think he'll be fine. Kobe has also looked less than stellar in the first two games.

quote:
Originally posted by gobucsmagic:

You guys are ridiculous, sorry I wasted my time posting...

I'll tell you what cupcake: why don't you go and find out what Tim Duncan thinks of FIBA competition, and then we can have this conversation.