Sign in to follow this  
The Solution

Disaster Avoided But Changes Coming

DISASTER AVOIDED BUT CHANGES COMING

Posted on Apr 16, 2007 9:35 AM Brian Schmitz, writer Orlando Sentinel

If Magic President Bob Vander Weide needed reminding that his team needs a serious makeover this summer, Sunday's unfathomable fourth-quarter meltdown against the Celtics tapped him on the shoulder.

Or maybe it hit him over the head.

The Magic, playing their 80th game of the season, committed 25 turnovers --- 10 in a ridiculously played fourth quarter in which they were outscored 27-10 and didn't make a bucket in the last 6:44.

It was embarrassing and inexcusable, sure. But what has to have Vander Weide conduct some soul-searching -- and free-agent searching --- is that it wasn't all that shocking.

This is who the Magic are: A team whose basketball IQ is severely challenged.

They need players who make better decisions.

They can not come back with the same cast next season.

Possible changes afoot:

Jameer Nelson at point guard seems the most likely alteration. He's a natural scorer, not a ballhandler.

This is priority No. 1. Could the Magic swap Nelson for veteran Andre Miller? There's isn't much else out there, unless they try to sign Steve Blake, a pass-first PG with limited athleticism.

Reducing turnovers also means working with Dwight Howard to reduce his mistakes.

Priority No. 2. Find another scorer. The Magic need somebody (Vince Carter?) who isn't afraid to take a shot at the game --- nobody wanted it in the fourth quarter Sunday --- and create offense when things stall.

If Magic President Bob Vander Weide needed reminding that his team needs a serious makeover this summer, Sunday's unfathomable fourth-quarter meltdown against the Celtics tapped him on the shoulder.

The Magic, playing their 80th game of the season, committed 25 turnovers --- 10 in a ridiculously played fourth quarter in which they were outscored 27-10 and didn't make a bucket in the last 6:44.

It was embarrassing and inexcusable, sure. But what has to have Vander Weide conduct some soul-searching -- and free-agent searching --- is that it wasn't all that shocking.

Possible changes afoot:

Jameer Nelson at point guard seems the most likely alteration. He's a natural scorer, not a ballhandler.

This is priority No. 1. Could the Magic swap Nelson for veteran Andre Miller? There's isn't much else out there, unless they try to sign Steve Blake, a pass-first PG with limited athleticism.

Reducing turnovers also means working with Dwight Howard to reduce his mistakes.

Priority No. 2. Find another scorer. The Magic need somebody (Vince Carter?) who isn't afraid to take a shot at the game --- nobody wanted it in the fourth quarter Sunday --- and create offense when things stall.

quote:
Unearth another big man. They need a veteran who will chew some butt in the Magic lockeroom, where everybody is just so . . . .content.

A NEW COACH CAN DO THE JOB-THANKS.

NEW COACH AND STAFF IS THE ONLY THINK WE NEED TO CHANGE I THINK WE HAVE A GOOD YOUNG TEAN REMEMBER OF THE BEGINING OF THE SEASON WE PLAY GOOD. NEW COACH NEW PLAY

quote:
Originally posted by The Solution:

quote:
Unearth another big man. They need a veteran who will chew some butt in the Magic lockeroom, where everybody is just so . . . .content.

Paul Silas is a Big Man and Coach that can chew some butt with the best of them.

quote:
Originally posted by MagicFanBen:

quote:

quote:

Paul Silas is a Big Man and Coach that can chew some butt with the best of them.

I like Paul, but Adelmen will get us further in his offensive schemes and Bill Lambieer as an assitant and future head coach will surfice!!

does anybody know why we drafted jj. i thought he was the one to be there at crunch time. why waste the draft if you are not going to give the shooter with the desire to take the shot a chance to prove that he can and will deliver. brian hill is the worst judge of talent and how to teach these guys how to control the game that i have ever seen at the nba level. this team should be better period and whether we like it or not we have the talent and it needs to be used correctly. if management does not see this then they have no desire to bring a championship to orlando. why do you think the city is reluctant to get on board for a new arena. the devos family is cheap and want something for nothing end of story. jacklj

Put me down as one who thinks a new PG, even one who is not really athletic or a big scorer (passes first), and a new coach would make a huge difference.

With a different type of PG, we have several more scorers right on our own team. Play JJ starting early in the season and by all-star break he will fit in just fine.

Take about 5 or 6 of those passes in to Dwight and throw them in to Darko and we will have another scorer and fewer turnovers from D-12. I am not denigrating D-12. If we use Darko and JJ more, Dwight will have fewer double and triple teams, is all. Thus, fewer TOs.

I would try for Lambier first, and as head coach, not an underling. He is definitely not afraid to do some chewing, believe me. He will develop leadership from the team itself, too, just as he and Isiah did with the Pistons. I would say he would develop Dwight and Grant (if he is still here coming off the bench) to be team leaders.

I would take the shackles off Darko and let him lose the weight and be an inside/outside threat as he was supposed to be groomed for, when he first got him. There would be no better front line in the league than DX2 and Hedo, with the right PG to set them up and feed them. Ariza and Battie leading the bench would be a good start.

By the second half of the season, this team would be gelling and will have had enough success in the first half to be in position to make a good run.

quote:
Originally posted by lazyberbs:

I would take the shackles off Darko and let him lose the weight and be an inside/outside threat as he was supposed to be groomed for, when he first got him. There would be no better front line in the league than DX2 and Hedo, with the right PG to set them up and feed them. Ariza and Battie leading the bench would be a good start.

i agree with you.

quote:

POSSIBLE CHANGES AFOOT:

quote:

Possible changes afoot:

quote:
Originally posted by EnFuego:

Not one mention of the coach who did not make one single adjustment during the meltdown.

I realize that. I am now asking for comments on the thread article in regards to changes/player acquisitions.