Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Diggin for J. Crit News

quote:
Originally posted by murphy13:

not really, there are two examples of rookies that sat for every 1 person you can mention...besides, haslem must have had a real hard time beating out samaki walker and john wallace for the backup pf spot. come on now...its completely different.

Wade played, but was obviously special. Haslem played but had a bit of experience as a pro. The next year, Dorrell Wright didn't play, but he came straight out of high school and was the 19th pick. Wayne Simien was picked 29th the next year, and played in 43 games, at about 10 minutes a game, but I think we can all agree he sucks and didn't deserve to play. As evidenced by the fact that he's already out of the league. The next year, Riles put the shiv in Stan's back. So I don't think you can really make a conclusion one way or the other that SVG is or isn't going to play a rookie just because he's a rookie.

quote:

i like lee, but he has done nothing yet, so why automatically give him the nod over jj? he did no better than jj in summer league...its flawed logic to assume that he will be ahead on the depth charts at this point. get back to me on that when training camp is over and my opinion may change, its not like i think jj is far and away the best sg on our team or anything, i just think that he has passed bogans on the depth chart.

Lee comes into the league with a backround of being a great defensive player, and has NBA 3pt range as a shooter. JJ came into the league as a shooter. They both have proved nothing so far, but who would you rather give some burn to? I'd take the more complete player.

Courtney Lee is exactly the type of player SVG likes, a defensive player that can shoot. He will play.

We all know the basketball people in the orginization are often trumped by those who write the checks, and management likes JJ.

In defense of that:

Last year we didn't have a guard that could defend and run the point. This year we have two. C Lee and AJ can help to close the swinging gate we had all of last year at the perimeter and give JJ ( a defensive liability) a chance to get minutes. I promise, every time JJ Redick walks out on the floor the opposing coach will notice. Redick with consistent minutes and someone picking up his deffensive slack can flat out kill you. Dude is a great shooter and a winner. He is capable of being a second unit guy that can blow a game wide open. I personally would like to see him at least get a chance with our current roster before we ship him off.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Charisma:

quote:

besides, haslem must have had a real hard time beating out samaki walker and john wallace for the backup pf spot. come on now...its completely different.

Not any different from our situation last year.

JJ had 2 backup-quality SGs on the roster in front of him (Mo and Bo) and still couldn't get any burn.

its all about fits. we had 0 relative defensive presence at the sg spot last season, that is the sole reason why mo and bo got the nod over jj. that wont be a problem this year...hopefully.

So based on the fact that he played Haslem over Walker and Wallace, it supports the fact that he would have played JJ if he was actually better than Mo or Bo, not based on the fact that JJ was in only his 2nd year.

walker and wallace were horrible, mo and bo arent horrible. and like i said, we needed as much D as possible at the 2 last season

So your argument basically supports the fact that SVG would/will play JJ if he actually starts playing better than the other SGs on the roster.

yes...if your talking about this year, since defense wont be as glaring a need at the 2.

quote:
Originally posted by CaliMagicFan:

quote:

not really, there are two examples of rookies that sat for every 1 person you can mention...besides, haslem must have had a real hard time beating out samaki walker and john wallace for the backup pf spot. come on now...its completely different.

Wade played, but was obviously special. Haslem played but had a bit of experience as a pro. The next year, Dorrell Wright didn't play, but he came straight out of high school and was the 19th pick. Wayne Simien was picked 29th the next year, and played in 43 games, at about 10 minutes a game, but I think we can all agree he sucks and didn't deserve to play. As evidenced by the fact that he's already out of the league. The next year, Riles put the shiv in Stan's back. So I don't think you can really make a conclusion one way or the other that SVG is or isn't going to play a rookie just because he's a rookie.

svg, and his brother, both have tendencies to play the vet over a rookie. its not because anyone is a rookier, per se, its because they would rather go with the vet.

quote:

how is it flawed?

my logic was that bogans provided marginally better defense, and worse offense than said competition.

The flaw is saying Bogans provided "marginally" better defense than JJ. If that was the case, JJ would have gotten all of Bogans' minutes. The fact is that according to all accounts, Bogans is a substantial upgrade over JJ defensively.

The argument that Pietrus is a better defender, so the backup doesn't need to be as good is also flawed. The 2 guard needs to be a good defender on this team because the PG, SF, and PF are generally weak defenders, so the SG has to step up. If you wanted to make the argument that Anthony Johnson (or JCritt) will provide better defense at the PG spot, and Battie will provide better defense at the PF spot, allowing JJ to play and be the designated scorer on that unit...that's an argument that would make a little more sense. I'd buy that you don't need as good a defender if JJ's out there with a lineup of Johnson/JJ/Shard/Battie/Dwight. I'd especially buy it if you put Gortat in there for Dwight, because they'd need offense from somewhere.

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

quote:

i like lee, but he has done nothing yet, so why automatically give him the nod over jj? he did no better than jj in summer league...its flawed logic to assume that he will be ahead on the depth charts at this point. get back to me on that when training camp is over and my opinion may change, its not like i think jj is far and away the best sg on our team or anything, i just think that he has passed bogans on the depth chart.

Lee comes into the league with a backround of being a great defensive player, and has NBA 3pt range as a shooter. JJ came into the league as a shooter. They both have proved nothing so far, but who would you rather give some burn to? I'd take the more complete player.

based on what? what his college stats are? im not taking anything away from lee at all, im just saying he is likely going to have to wait for his turn...

quote:

svg, and his brother, both have tendencies to play the vet over a rookie. its not because anyone is a rookier, per se, its because they would rather go with the vet.

You can keep saying that, but we've provided you with facts that say different.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

quote:

i agree for the most part. however, Lee is going to be 4th string...mark it. rooks wont play right away in svg's system. another thing, bogans isnt improving, i would be surprised if jj wasnt improving. i think jj will be backup sg. the only thing bogans did better than him was defend...and pietrus is there now...bogans is useless(trade bait).

anthony johnson scares me. what if jameer does get injured? even if johnson was a serviceable backup that can fill in, is he going to play all 48 minutes if jameer gets hurt?

Granted Wade was the 5th pick (he played for SVG), but if Lee impresses, especially on defense, I see him getting minutes throughout the year.

well, if lee turns out to be in the same league as wade, then of course he will get pt to start. im not talking about ever(in regards to pt for lee), i just mean to start the season. i bet he has a hard time cracking the rotation until dec/jan at the earliest.

Can you give me even one example of SVG intentionally not playing a kid because he was a rookie? If you can't, then this assertation is being completely fabricated by you in the hopes that JJ will get some burn.

I will be pretty shocked if Lee isn't the second shooting guard on the depth chart.