Sign in to follow this  
In The Know

Rumors out of Sacramento: Ron Artest for Turk?

I don't think I'd do this at all.

First off, setting aside Hedo and Artest...

1. We lose all our assets in Bogans, J.J., Cook AND a 1st rounder.

2. We give all that up and the best we can get is a terrible contract in Kenny Thomas and only a 2nd round pick??

Then..

3. As if the first 2 reasons aren't good enough, Artest is far too much of a egomaniacal nutjob to warrant this deal. By the way Emory, Artest has not been on his best behavior since he joined the Kings. I believe it was last summer when he was arrested for assault in a domestic dispute case.

Especially when you factor in Artest's "issues," he's not THAT much of a better player than Turk, he just simply brings different things to the table than Turk does. Certainly not better enough to include so much in the rest of the deal... not to mention Artest doesn't even play a position that would really help balance our roster like a quality PF would.

Sure the deal's terrific for the Kings. But if the Magic did this Otis should be run out of town with torches and pitchforks.

i'd take him right now, but for the listed reasons above it probably won't happen, people think he's a bad guy, i just think he's a little crazy, other than that detroit brawl i've never really seen him blow up at anyone, he's just that crazy quiet on the court, no one wants to say anything to him just incase he decks them.... lol we should get him, that's some serious intimidation right there.

if we have to send that much we should get something else, i blieve they have 8 people on their roster that can play the pf/c position.

Doesn't make a lot of sense, but giving this trade talk the benefit of the doubt, this could be talk from Sacramento's end, which would possibly make sense.

Break deal into 3 parts:

Artest/Hedo

This is a fairly even swap with the Magic assuming far more risk.

Kenny Thomas/Cook, Bogans, Redick

Thomas has nothing except a bad contract, the Kings receive 3 potentially servicable players.

Magic 1st rounder/Kings 2nd rounder speaks for itself

So, Orlando is on the losing end of future assets and dead contracts in order to facilitate an even swap of players? Logic would imply the opposite would be true given that the players name is Ron Artest.

I'll believe Orlando brings in a player like Artest when it happens. Would I do this deal, no, I think Otis would have to have a hole in his head in order to take on Thomas' contract AND give up a future 1st in order to trade Hedo for Artest. But, would I take Artest? In a heart beat.

Sure, it's a gamble, but gambling on Artest could put a banner up in the rafters.

quote:
Originally posted by EnFuego:

Welcome to the boards. I'm skeptical by nature but like to give people the benefit of the doubt.

Here's the problem I'm having with your post. Your source is close to the Kings, correct? So any insights into the Kings strategy is understandable. However, you spend a good amount of your posts, quoting your friend on all the insights into why the Magic would do it.

I'm not a GM and I'm not involved in trade negotiations but doubt teams tell each other the reasoning for why they want to do a trade, certainly not to the detail you describe. I find it hard to believe that any of the information you're passing along that deals with the rationale for the Magic doing the trade has any credibility whatsoever.

Either your old college roommate likes to exagerate, or you do, but in building the story, you got too far into creative writing for my liking.

Intersting read though.

Maybe becasue he is a magic fan? Don't you think? If he is a magic fan he would have insight on our situation too. Plus his friend's connections, etc, etc..

Now you all know I don't care much for the insider stuff. I think its entertaining, but some of this stuff never actually happens and/or is never confirmed. So I would just say this at least nice to see that they are still trying to get something else done.

I would think about this, but without giving the pick away.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Charisma:

The one part of this that makes no sense to me is that we are doing them a HUGE favor by picking up Thomas. I can't see how they could expect us to come off a 1st-round pick when we are helping them unload that contract.

Welcome to the forum, In The Know.

I got to agree with this....

We are the team doing them the favor, they should be giving us multiple picks in this scenerio, to take there garbage contract!!!

The only way this could be a good deal would be for a 3 way with the Hawks for Josh Smith if they wanted Artest, and then I would give up some picks....

For the trade to work out for the Magic, we should walk away with this:

Artest( Extended for $8-$9 mill per year, which he would agree to if he really wants out and wants to play for a contender)

Thomas with an agreed Buyout of his salary at about 75% of the full amount, with Sacamento paying 25% of that.

A 1st round pick

Also along with this trade would be a deal with Memphis for our TE, and a First rounder from US, for Javaris.

We also would have to have a deal in place for Doleac, and another minimum player at the 2 guard spot, to fill out our roster...

I wouldnt mind Ron here, but its way to much to give for a rental.

We would have the same problem signing Artest as we will with Turk. Not to mention losing 2 servicable players in Cook and Bogans.

And they want a first rounder also?? No way.

If they want rid of Artest so bad, then do a Turk/JJ for Artest straight up, or try to feed Thomas' bad contract to someone else.

We are finally moving in a great direction and doing it fiscally sound. I dont want to throw that all away for one year of Ron Artest

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

Maybe Warriorsfan05 is his inside source. He jumped ship to a different California team.

I wonder where that guy is...He's probably building a Maggette shrine outside their arena or something...He must be praying to Jobu for some spiritual help for his crappy excuse for a team.

i wouldnt do this deal. i like ron, but isnt worth all that. kitno broke it down right, too much going out, not enough coming in.

welp...if this were to happen we would have the best defensive team in the league, atleast on paper. I think jameer would be ok taking hedo's ball-handling role. It would work great as long as he understands that this is dwights team and he is just a role player.

I would welcome this deal with open arms...to say the least...

I am only skeptical about trading both JJ AND Bogans...for two reasons:

This leaves just Pietrus and Lee at the 2...and still leaves us with just one SF...

and this would mean a no-go for the Critt trade...

but if I have to pick one, no doubt I'd pick this trade over the Critt Trade..

the defense in this lineup

Johnson

Pietrus

Artest

Battie

Howard

is unmatched in the league...seriously.

offensive lineup of

Meer

Pietrus/Lee

Lew

Artest

Howard

is top 5 in the league...seriously.

this deal is worth it...

and I do believe Artest will be happy here...as long as we keep winning...and with this lineup, that won't be hard...

but like I said at the top, the only issues are the lack of depth at SG&SF, and the 1st round pick seems a bit over-kill.

MUCH BETTER TRADE FOR BOTH SIDES...especially us

We send:

Bogans - 3 million expiring

Hedo- Sac fan favorite, they can resign

Cook- two years left on contract

2nd round pick next year

We get:

Artest - D-fense and scoring

Kenny Thomas- hopefully to be bought out

Shelden Williams- Help shore up our bigs

Why this is better for Sac?

- They send away artest and get a potential all star back

- Acquire expiring contract

- Get rid of Kenny Thomas and his contract

- Help set them up to rebuild

- Subtracts from their huge amount of PF's

- They wont be able to resign Artest

Why this is good for the Magic?

- We will not be able to resign Hedo after next year

- Allows Shard to move back to small forward, b/c Ron can play Shards PF position from last year.

- Gives us a defensive minded team, that can still score

- Gives us a prospect PF Shelden Williams that is a high character guy that can rebound and play D

- Redick gets his college team mate back...HA

- We get some assests back instead of letting Hedo walk