Sign in to follow this  
~O~

Well Forum...Whats Your View On Otis Now

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

quote:
Originally posted by iamthe_1:

I didnt agree with his Jameer comment on extending his contract to early and to long, if Otis didnt extend him at the time he did and waited to this summer he would of gotten the same contract as Duhon got when Duhon drove up the market on PG's. I like he extended him early but I agree with Killing, to long though...

Here's the thing you guys seem to forget. Jameer would have been a RFA, how many RFA you see getting offers? It's called leverage. Jameer had zero! Just like Pietrus had zero last year, talked all summer about a MLE contract, & signed for 3.6m. Just like nobody offered Varajeo a deal, just like nobody is offering JR Smith a deal, ect...

You can disagree, but there's no reason for Jameer to have a 5 year deal, and there's no reason for him to be making 7.5m in year 5. He had one good playoff series, got outplayed by a rook in round two, and had career lows.

Jeez I figured Magic fans would be happy that we are going out of our way to keep the best big man in the league happy...I am a firm believer that the front office doesn't want the fans to undergo another dominant future hall of famer walking out the front door so we are accomodating his wishes. That is why we won't trade Hedo and that is why we needed to sign Jameer, heck Dwight himself said our team was talented enough last year and surprise! No trade by the deadline. Plus 7.5 million for a 10 year team veteren is a STEAL no matter how short he is

quote:
Originally posted by Kramer:

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

quote:
Originally posted by iamthe_1:

I didnt agree with his Jameer comment on extending his contract to early and to long, if Otis didnt extend him at the time he did and waited to this summer he would of gotten the same contract as Duhon got when Duhon drove up the market on PG's. I like he extended him early but I agree with Killing, to long though...

Here's the thing you guys seem to forget. Jameer would have been a RFA, how many RFA you see getting offers? It's called leverage. Jameer had zero! Just like Pietrus had zero last year, talked all summer about a MLE contract, & signed for 3.6m. Just like nobody offered Varajeo a deal, just like nobody is offering JR Smith a deal, ect...

You can disagree, but there's no reason for Jameer to have a 5 year deal, and there's no reason for him to be making 7.5m in year 5. He had one good playoff series, got outplayed by a rook in round two, and had career lows.

Jeez I figured Magic fans would be happy that we are going out of our way to keep the best big man in the league happy...I am a firm believer that the front office doesn't want the fans to undergo another dominant future hall of famer walking out the front door so we are accomodating his wishes. That is why we won't trade Hedo and that is why we needed to sign Jameer, heck Dwight himself said our team was talented enough last year and surprise! No trade by the deadline. Plus 7.5 million for a 10 year team veteren is a STEAL no matter how short he is

This is the exact same logic that prevented Orlando from trading Dennis Scott multiple times. Did it stop Shaq from leaving?

Sure, I'm being a nit to some degree, but as an entrepreneur, I find the collective business IQ's of our front office alarming. Big deal, not huge. But, it's magnified when you see him repeat the same errors over, and over, and over, and over...and over!

quote:
Here!!! Here!!!!!.......Good post and I am in 89% agreement with your position. I really think he should have dumped GHill, right along with BHill, while he had such a nice expiring contract! But I still think Otis is doing an admirable job, and I will wait for the CLee developments, much like a college recriuting class to determine the success or failure in that area!! Good Post..Dead ON Man!!

Don't hold your breath on Lee developing. Who was the last young player we developed other than Dwight? Lee and Redick will be scouting out girls in the stands during games while we all complain on these boards that they aren't playing.

quote:
Originally posted by Tough Break There:

quote:
Don't hold your breath on Lee developing. Who was the last young player we developed other than Dwight?

So we're due!

Exactly!!!!!! It looks like we are turning the page, and sticking with our talent!!

I like getting Pietrus just as much as the next person, I actually wanted him over Maggette, but this doesn't make up for the mistakes Otis has made in the past. He's in the process of righting the ship, but he's not there yet.

I know it's been beaten to death, but unless we win a title, i'll never get over how badly he screwed up with Rashard's contract.

I am personally happy with the job that Otis is done.

I don't think Darko was that great. He wasn't that great playing alongside Dwight. He did nothing playing alongside Pau Gasol. I don't see any evidence to show that Darko would be a good player playing next to Dwight. So I never did have a problem with letting Darko walk, and I still don't.

Besides, letting Darko walk, gave us the space we needed to bring in Rashard Lewis. Was he overpaid? Maybe. But that's the nature of bringing in star players via free agency, overpaying. I'm not too worried about it, because we got THE PLAYER that we needed at that time.

As far as a Jameer extension goes, I am also okay with that. I think that Jameer is a very good point guard, and is wrongly bashed on these forums. Jameer is clutch, has a good range, and finishes strong at the hole, and plays with heart. Other than a future hall of fame type player like a Nash or a Kidd, I really can't think of many point guards I'd rather have over Nelson.

Trading some expirings of Garrity and Arroyo might have been nice, if we could have found anything for them.

I'm also quite fond of the Pietrus signing. I am originally from the Bay Area, so I know about Mickael Pietrus, and he's pretty much been my top choice for free agency this season, and I'm glad to see we were able to get him. Sure, someone like Elton Brand would have been awesome, but with out cap situation, we couldn't have landed him anyways.

I see Otis leading this team in the right direction, and I see a title in Orlando in the near future. Maybe not even this year. But we are definitely getting there. Now is an exciting time to be a Magic fan, the most exciting it's been since Penny and Shaq.

quote:
Originally posted by the notorious S.A.C.:

Killer Im exhausted from fighting the throng of Otis lovers who dispute the obvious. I think Id have a better shot of convincing amy winehouse to give up crack.

I'm not an Otis lover. But you are an Otis Hater.

Do you wanna know the difference? I have posted things he's done that I think were good, and things he's done that I think were not good.

You have a caricature image of him were everything he does, or better yet, doesn't do, is bad.

I am not a regular poster but I do read these boards everyday. It amazes me that people on here seem to think that we need another 20/10 PF and a 20/5 SG to be contenders. We went to the second round with a very young nucleus and a new star player, a new coach, and new system. Boston's starting center averaged 6pts & 6rebs. You have to have stars & role players to win.

For all of you that think Ariza is better than Evans or Pietrus please check the stats. Evans 23 min 9.3 pts, 3.1 rebs for the magic, Ariza 18 mins for lakers 6.5 pts 3.5 rebs, Pietrus 20 mins 7.2 pts, 3.7 rebs, 1 stl per game. They all put up similiar numbers but Evans and Pietrus played in more games due to Ariza's injury. Ariza is injury prone. Otis has had a few misses and a few hits, but who hasn't? We do have the best center in the league, a good point guard, two 20pt fwds. That is alot more than most of the rest of the league has at this point. I think that CLEE will fit in perfectly with this team. He doesn't need to dominate the ball to be effective and he plays good defense. All we need is a Back up PG and Wilcox or Collison would be extras at this point. We are definately better with a savy vet like Battie playing the game with understanding than a young rookie or Darko. Knowing how to play is much better than knowing you can play in this league. That is what put Boston over the edge, they developed chemistry within their team and they all played with understanding....along with the big 3.