Sign in to follow this  
allstarme

Report: Maggette off the market? (Hoopsworld)

Somone better tell Corey that Allen is like 34 and KG is hittin 33 next season. Tim Duncan is going to be 33 next season too. Does he really want to be on those teams 2 or 3 years into his contract.

From what I've read here, Evans and Bogans are both at least above average defenders.

I don't really think they helped that much really.

From what I've heard neither Pietrus or Duhon are very good at offense, and they are good/very good at defense.

I really don't know if they are a huge improvement over Evans, Bogans or Dooling.

Some of you say they are, I have my doubts.

I believe they are better, but just as Evans, Bogans and Dooling couldn't, I don't see them improving that much our team defense.

That is why I believe there's no question who I would take if Maggette were available. He would take us to the next level.

Duhon or Pietrus would improve our team, but IMO they are not enough.

I would only target a defensive player over someone like Maggette if I'm certain they are lockdown defenders.

They would be on the other team's best guard and lock them out night in and night out.

If Duhon or Pietrus could do that I guess they would have bigger roles in their teams regardless the team situation (ie. run and gun offense en GS and having Hinrich in CHI).

But again, I haven't seen them play a lot.

So the wiretap on RealGM is now saying that the Spurs are going to make a contract offer to Maggette. Just curious if that is old news about them wanting to give him the MLE, or if somehow they can make a better offer than the MLE now?

The best defensive player in the FA pool is James Posey. He would command the full MLE, just like Maggette but the problem is, he is most likely to go to the Lakers or remain with the Celtics.

There really isn't a lock down defender in this years FA pool, so I guess it comes down to, is the bargin of getting Maggette for the MLE worth it or not.

quote:
Originally posted by Caco:

From what I've read here, Evans and Bogans are both at least above average defenders.

I don't really think they helped that much really.

From what I've heard neither Pietrus or Duhon are very good at offense, and they are good/very good at defense.

I really don't know if they are a huge improvement over Evans, Bogans or Dooling.

Some of you say they are, I have my doubts.

I believe they are better, but just as Evans, Bogans and Dooling couldn't, I don't see them improving that much our team defense.

That is why I believe there's no question who I would take if Maggette were available. He would take us to the next level.

Duhon or Pietrus would improve our team, but IMO they are not enough.

I dont know if duhon is a better defender than dooling or vice versa, the big reason we want duhon is he can play defense and run the offense (something dooling cant do). The big upgrade with Pietrius is height and versitility. while bogans and evans are good at staying between their man and the basket, they are short and cant contest shots as well. Pietrius can also guard the 2,3,and sometimes the 4. He could also probably guard the 1 in certain situations.

There's no defensive minded player that we could get in FA that would help us turn around defensively. I'd take Maggette if he wanted to come here over SA.

But if we don't get Mags then yeah we gotta bring in some guys with defense.

quote:
Originally posted by Miller4Prez64:

There's no defensive minded player that we could get in FA that would help us turn around defensively. I'd take Maggette if he wanted to come here over SA.

But if we don't get Mags then yeah we gotta bring in some guys with defense.

I agree. I just don't think they should be a priority over Maggette. If there's still a chance of getting Corey, we must continue trying to do it. Only when all options are explored, I would turn to those guys.

quote:
Originally posted by Sinister_Grin:

Somone better tell Corey that Allen is like 34 and KG is hittin 33 next season. Tim Duncan is going to be 33 next season too. Does he really want to be on those teams 2 or 3 years into his contract.

And, the beast is only 21 right? Howard isn't 22 yet I don't think. Howard in 3 years will be ripping this league apart. He'll improve again this year by a leap.

quote:
Originally posted by Knappy:

quote:
Originally posted by Sinister_Grin:

And, the beast is only 21 right? Howard isn't 22 yet I don't think. Howard in 3 years will be ripping this league apart. He'll improve again this year by a leap.

You would think that playing in the East, at home and with a team that is on its way up should speak volumes. Also if he goes to SA his path would be hindered by the same competition that has kept him out of the Allstar consideration for the past few years! At home in the east, he is an alltstar for the next couple of seasons!!!