Sign in to follow this  
Mayhem

Chris Duhon In Town Today, But Wants Magic Money (Schmitz)

quote:
Erstwhile Chicago Bulls point guard Chris Duhon is expected to be in town to talk to the Magic today about a free-agent opening.

He wants all or a majority of the mid-level exception, worth about $6 million a season. But like the Knicks, the Magic want to split it up between two players almost evenly.

So unless Duhon comes down a little -- hey, it's early in the bargaining process --- he and Orlando can't marry.

Duhon is just playing the game. He knows that even though he has been a back-up most of his career in Chicago, the point-guard free agent class is weak. (Now you know why Magic GM Otis Smith signed Jameer Nelson to a five-year, $40 million extension before the start of last season. Nelson would be the runaway No. 1 point guard as a free agent this summer.)

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2008/07/chris-duhon-in.html

quote:
Erstwhile Chicago Bulls point guard Chris Duhon is expected to be in town to talk to the Magic today about a free-agent opening.

He wants all or a majority of the mid-level exception, worth about $6 million a season. But like the Knicks, the Magic want to split it up between two players almost evenly.

So unless Duhon comes down a little -- hey, it's early in the bargaining process --- he and Orlando can't marry.

Duhon is just playing the game. He knows that even though he has been a back-up most of his career in Chicago, the point-guard free agent class is weak. (Now you know why Magic GM Otis Smith signed Jameer Nelson to a five-year, $40 million extension before the start of last season. Nelson would be the runaway No. 1 point guard as a free agent this summer.)

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2008/07/chris-duhon-in.html

Duhon is nuts if he thinks he's getting anything close to the full MLE -although now that I think about it, the Knicks might be dumb enough to bite.

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

What teams are looking at PG's and what teams have money or the desire to sign them to long term deals?

There are not many but if Beno Udrich can get the full mid-level after being released by the Spurs before the season then Duhon might as well try.

I remember you saying his agent was crazy so I looked him up and here is his client list....Not to much there so he might be trying to use Duhon as a way to get his name out there more.

http://hoopshype.com/agents/kevin_bradbury.htm

quote:
Originally posted by Mayhem:

Duhon is nuts if he thinks he's getting anything close to the full MLE -although now that I think about it, the Knicks might be dumb enough to bite.

Their initial offer was half of the MLE over 2 yrs(reported on Hoopshype.com yesterday). They don't want to do anything long term because they need cap space in 2010. The length of the contract we could offer may be what helps us.

When you talk about Duhon and a contract the Magic can offer, make sure you think about the future. The length of a contract may be what the Magic can offer over other teams... but three-four years down the road do you want to be in this message board asking why the hell Chris Duhon is still on the team eating up $3-4 mil a year? He's a solid player, but I don't think he's much of an upgrade, if any at all. For that reason, I wouldn't want to sacrifice any of the future for that kind of contract.

quote:
Originally posted by mdamico:

When you talk about Duhon and a contract the Magic can offer, make sure you think about the future. The length of a contract may be what the Magic can offer over other teams... but three-four years down the road do you want to be in this message board asking why the hell Chris Duhon is still on the team eating up $3-4 mil a year? He's a solid player, but I don't think he's much of an upgrade, if any at all. For that reason, I wouldn't want to sacrifice any of the future for that kind of contract.

You are wrong there IMO. Duhon would be the best PG on this team by midseason. I talk to plenty of bulls fans that love that guy and think he is awesome.

He is a pure PG who passes and plays great D. He can also have nights where he gives you a ton of scoring.

The only reason he leaves the bulls is because of Rose coming in.

He is much better then Arroyo, and far more of a pure PG then Jameer. The combo of those 2 would be ideal.

Before we go any further with this can anyone be so kind of doing the right thing and post last seasson statistics between Carlos Arroyo and Duhon .

After that is done maybe we can have a decent discusion over this scenario.

quote:
Originally posted by Catman:

quote:
Originally posted by mdamico:

You are wrong there IMO. Duhon would be the best PG on this team by midseason. I talk to plenty of bulls fans that love that guy and think he is awesome.

He is a pure PG who passes and plays great D. He can also have nights where he gives you a ton of scoring.

The only reason he leaves the bulls is because of Rose coming in.

He is much better then Arroyo, and far more of a pure PG then Jameer. The combo of those 2 would be ideal.

Good point, agree.

quote:
Originally posted by JC Aponte:

Before we go any further with this can anyone be so kind of doing the right thing and post last seasson statistics between Carlos Arroyo and Duhon .

After that is done maybe we can have a decent discusion over this scenario.

Duhon: 5.8pts, 4asts, 1.8 rebounds, .7 sts, 1.1TO in 66 games at 22.6mpg.

Arroyo averaged 6.9 pts, 3.5asts, 1.8 rebounds, .4 steals, and 1.2 TO in 62 games at 20.5 mpg.