Sign in to follow this  
Mayhem

Maggette Move Unlikely As Strapped Magic Bargain Hunt (Schmitz)

quote:
Originally posted by star_phenom35:

LOL! is it really that difficult to figure out this thing? This is the exact thing that happened with us and Seattle last year in the pursuit or Rashard Lewis. Do you really think that Seattle would trade Lewis away for a draft pick and a trade exception? =S...They only did it because Lewis was UNRESTRICTED, he wanted nothing to do with Seattle annd wanted to be in Orlando, so they had no choice but to get what they could from us because he would would for nothing.

Same thing with Maggette. He doesn't want to be in L.A anymore, he wants to come home. It's just a matter of the Magic management being willing to spend the money on Maggette to get him here. Maggette is like Lewis, UNRESTRICTED, meaning that he can walk for nothing! I'm sure the Clipps would gladly take something off of our hands for him regardless of what it is IF Maggette insists on coming here and IF the Magic management is willing to spend to makeit happen.

If you're right, I really hope we'll not overpay for him as with Rashard last year.

This would stuck our roster for years to come...

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

No, we can't do the same thing. Last year we were under the salary cap, so what we actually traded was a draft pick AND a trade exemption worth $Texas, which they subsequently turned into a mess of draft picks, I think like 4 future first rounders total.

Ok DOM. That pretty much leaves us without options. It doesn't seem like we would have the best trade offer unless Turk was included. It seems very unlikely that Maggette would accept the MLE. So what can they do?

quote:

LOL! is it really that difficult to figure out this thing? This is the exact thing that happened with us and Seattle last year in the pursuit or Rashard Lewis. Do you really think that Seattle would trade Lewis away for a draft pick and a trade exception? =S...They only did it because Lewis was UNRESTRICTED, he wanted nothing to do with Seattle annd wanted to be in Orlando, so they had no choice but to get what they could from us because he would would for nothing.

Same thing with Maggette. He doesn't want to be in L.A anymore, he wants to come home. It's just a matter of the Magic management being willing to spend the money on Maggette to get him here. Maggette is like Lewis, UNRESTRICTED, meaning that he can walk for nothing! I'm sure the Clipps would gladly take something off of our hands for him regardless of what it is IF Maggette insists on coming here and IF the Magic management is willing to spend to makeit happen.

THANK YOU!

Someone gets the whole UNRESTRICTED thing.

Player is in control.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

Ok DOM. That pretty much leaves us without options. It doesn't seem like we would have the best trade offer unless Turk was included. It seems very unlikely that Maggette would accept the MLE. So what can they do?

Trade Turk or hope he takes the MLE. Those are pretty much the options, I think. The main hope should be that the off and on rumored Marion for Brand trade happens, and LAC goes into rebuild mode again, at which point they'll let Maggette go, and he'll probably be stuck taking the MLE, because no one could offer anything else.

You nailed it on the head DOM. Brand is the key to this whole situation. If the Clippers lose him to another team they will start rebuilding and let Maggette go. If they keep Brand they will probably offer more money than anyone else will be willing to offer to Corey and he will stay in LA.

I still think Maggette could take the midlevel exception. There just aren't any teams out there that are going to offer him more than that.....I don't think. If he opts out he does it with the understanding that he will be taking a pay cut.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:

To be honest, I never even thought about that. Can we send them a future pick in exchange for Maggette in S&T? If so, they keep their salary cap space, get a future piece, and we get Corey.

hmmm...I can't believe that didn't cross my mind. Nice work Phenom.

No, we can't do the same thing. Last year we were under the salary cap, so what we actually traded was a draft pick AND a trade exemption worth $Texas, which they subsequently turned into a mess of draft picks, I think like 4 future first rounders total.

I wasn't talking about trading away a draft pick or w/e I was talking about the value they would get in return for their player that wants to come here so that it works under the salary cap. IF Maggette truly wants to come here and wants no part in what L.A is doing, they can do a S&T with us and we trade them garbage that adds up to Maggette's salary... Get it?

If Maggette gives us a discount, we can give him $45 mil over 5 years instead of L.A's $40 mil over 4 years... That's basically $9 mil a year. We can trade Hedo (6.8) + Bogans (2.5)...

OR Cook (3.5) + Bogans (2.9) + S&T Arroyo or something to that effect.

DOM, did you really just use the $Texas allusion?

Classic.

I think if Mr. Maggette can be convinced to join for the MLE, you immediatly place calls to teams with good PF's and bad contract PG's. Teams like Seattle, Utah, Miami, maybe Portland (Sergio Rodriguez? Don't know how high they are on him...)

BRAND JUST OPTED OUT!!!!!

He's likely to suck up ALOT of cap room from the Clips, making Maggette more obtainable...

Maggette WILL be in a Magic uniform THIS 2008-2009 season... MARK MY WORDS!!!

We need to spread rumor of Corey being hurt, maybe it will hurt his chances of being picked up. Sort of like Arthur, poor guy.

With Maggette in the line up we would be pretty **** hard to beat in a 7 game series. We would have to add size but ****, that would give us a legitimate backcourt. Granted Nelson is still 5ft but at least we have a capable sg.

Odds of this happening???

25%

Maybe i'm naive, but I don't think we would of drafted Lee if we had Maggette in mind. It would of made more sense to target a big in the draft if this was the direction Otis wanted to go.

Also, i'm not a cap expert, but if we picked up Maggette that would leave us pretty strapped right? How would we be able to bring in a decent pf and back up point? To me it just seems like Otis' fiscal mismanagement has left us low on options.

quote:
Originally posted by Kberto:

Maybe i'm naive, but I don't think we would of drafted Lee if we had Maggette in mind. It would of made more sense to target a big in the draft if this was the direction Otis wanted to go.

Also, i'm not a cap expert, but if we picked up Maggette that would leave us pretty strapped right? How would we be able to bring in a decent pf and back up point? To me it just seems like Otis' fiscal mismanagement has left us low on options.

Trade TIME!

quote:
Originally posted by Ryan-Aussie Magic:

quote:
Originally posted by Kberto:

Trade TIME!

Trade time? Otis Smith is still our GM right? The same GM that wouldn't trade expiring contracts because he feared it would hurt "team chemistry." That guy?!?!

I agree with you, but Otis doesn't seem like he wants to shake things up at all. I think it's in our best interest to trade Hedo, but it's not going to happen.