Sign in to follow this  
centaur27

Article regarding Redick's playing time after draft

if courtney lee is going to be the answer then the magic are in trouble. lee isn't any better than evans or bogans, and neither has the possible ceiling of jj.

quote:
Originally posted by lavell12:

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

I know, it's just frustrating that we keep hearing about what JJ wants. What about what the fans want? I want a winning team, I want a draft pick that contributes, I want perimeter defense, I want to see fewer 1's and 2's having career nights against us.

I bet more fans want JJ to play than whoever we draft, thats why there are JJ chants at every home game.

I want Jonathan Coulton to be played on the radio. That doesn't mean I get upset when I hear Dylan on the radio.

quote:

if courtney lee is going to be the answer then the magic are in trouble. lee isn't any better than evans or bogans, and neither has the possible ceiling of jj.

He hasn't cracked the rotation in 2yrs and no one is calling to acquire him, I think his ceiling is very well understood.

I don't know if any of the 2's in the draft or FA are the answer, I don't have my heart set on acquiring any one of them in particular I just want the player that is going to fit our needs best and help us win more. Those needs are slashing, getting to the line, rebounding, and playing D. Are any of those JJ's forte?

I wish the guy well where ever he goes but, (and this may sound harsh) if he isn't helping my team I couldn't care less about what is going on with him basketball wise.

quote:

Lavell, I don't understand this point. In other threads you have stated that JJ is a shooter, and that is why he was drafted.

And I agree with you on that.

But that doesn't translate to much of a ceiling, compared to a player like Lee that is much more physically gifted.

I'm certainly not saying that Lee is going to be better than JJ, but I don't understand how you can say that JJ has a higher ceiling.

jj would honestly make it worse for us against larger 2 guards, guys like crawford/wade/(insert 2 here), he'd probably do a good job against another team's pg because he would be considered a taller pg.... so why doesn't he learn the position? he's a great shot, he's smart, if he worked as much on his shot as he did on dribbling and distributing the ball then he'd be a pretty good pg.

jj's team would have probably beaten cdr's team in college no doubt, but one on one cdr could beat jj because of his quickness/defense/ and his 'taketheballoffthedribbleability' i'm coining that word now. and we all know nba ball isn't college ball, look at the celts, they basically played one and one basketball and turned it into a championship trophy, i'm still wondering where they would be if isolation wasn't part of their game.

remember the backup pg that took us out of the playoffs?... he was a sg in college.

quote:
Originally posted by cunningstunt:

jj would honestly make it worse for us against larger 2 guards, guys like crawford/wade/(insert 2 here), he'd probably do a good job against another team's pg because he would be considered a taller pg.... so why doesn't he learn the position? he's a great shot, he's smart, if he worked as much on his shot as he did on dribbling and distributing the ball then he'd be a pretty good pg.

jj's team would have probably beaten cdr's team in college no doubt, but one on one cdr could beat jj because of his quickness/defense/ and his 'taketheballoffthedribbleability' i'm coining that word now. and we all know nba ball isn't college ball, look at the celts, they basically played one and one basketball and turned it into a championship trophy, i'm still wondering where they would be if isolation wasn't part of their game.

remember the backup pg that took us out of the playoffs?... he was a sg in college.

It's not that easy, it's like trying to take a long distance runner who is great at running the mile and trying to convert him to a 100yrd sprint runner.

I don't think it's so much a size issue as it is an agility issue and PG's on the whole are much more agile than 2's are.

I think JJ's quicker than some of you give him credit for. His two biggest problems on defense are his strength and wingspan. The only time I remember someone just completely blowing by Redick was when he guarded Manu, which is understandable.

I think we just need to except JJ's game and give him a shot. Don't ask him to be a great defender and just let him play off the bench to score. i think he has a higher ceilling b/c he has a skill that is unmatched on the team. bogans and evans aren't doing the job on D anyway so why not go with the offensive player.

I'm OK with Stan not playing him because of defense. But what drives me crazy is how there's a double standard. Jameer is allowed to play poor defense night after night, and he's rewarded with an extension and the role of starting PG. I like Jameer a lot, but the same scrutiny on defense should apply to everyone right?

quote:
Originally posted by Kberto:

I'm OK with Stan not playing him because of defense. But what drives me crazy is how there's a double standard. Jameer is allowed to play poor defense night after night, and he's rewarded with an extension and the role of starting PG. I like Jameer a lot, but the same scrutiny on defense should apply to everyone right?

i think it is smart to manage the game when offense is needed and defense is need and not play jj when defense is needed but to keep that scoring potential off the bench is stupid. one good thing i've seen from jj is that he gets his shot off better than his critics thought he would, he doesn't knock i'm down as much b/c he is ice cold when he comes in the game but showing that he can get it off is a great sign b/c we all know he will knock them down if he gets pt.

quote:
Originally posted by lavell12: bogans and evans aren't doing the job on D anyway so why not go with the offensive player.

I just want to make a quick point. I did some checking and since the year 2000 every team that won an NBA Championship was also a top ranked defensive team or at least in the top 3.

This year we hovered around 12, 13 or 14 in team defense statistically. How would going with your offensive minded player at shooting guard help us improve defensively? Especially when our offense is top 5 in the league right now.

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

quote:
Originally posted by lavell12: bogans and evans aren't doing the job on D anyway so why not go with the offensive player.

I just want to make a quick point. I did some checking and since the year 2000 every team that won an NBA Championship was also a top ranked defensive team or at least in the top 3.

This year we hovered around 12, 13 or 14 in team defense statistically. How would going with your offensive minded player at shooting guard help us improve defensively? Especially when our offense is top 5 in the league right now.

DUHHH.. because JJ would be on the court.