Sign in to follow this  
T_MaC4MvP

Your thoughts... do magic realy need a change in PG?

Orlando Magic

Key free agents: Keith Bogans (P), Keyon Dooling (U), Maurice Evans (U), Carlos Arroyo (U).

Needs: Shooting guard; inside help for Dwight Howard; point guard.

Outlook: Last year's spending spree on Rashard Lewis was the easy part. Now GM Otis Smith has to round out his club with the mid-level exception and sweetheart veteran deals. The No. 22 pick also could offer some help, but maybe not yield the every-game point guard this club needs to truly take off.

--SI.com

Orlando Magic

Key free agents: Keith Bogans (P), Keyon Dooling (U), Maurice Evans (U), Carlos Arroyo (U).

Needs: Shooting guard; inside help for Dwight Howard; point guard.

Outlook: Last year's spending spree on Rashard Lewis was the easy part. Now GM Otis Smith has to round out his club with the mid-level exception and sweetheart veteran deals. The No. 22 pick also could offer some help, but maybe not yield the every-game point guard this club needs to truly take off.

--SI.com

D.J. Augustin, Texas (14.88); Derrick Rose, Memphis (14.69); Mario Chalmers, Kansas (14.03); Jerryd Bayless, Arizona (14.03).

Surprisingly, nobody rates as a slam-dunk lottery pick, not even Derrick Rose. In fact, Rose came in only second here, partly because he had such a slow start to his freshman season before picking up steam at the end.

Is this enough reason to draft Augustin ahead of Rose? No, because the margin between them is miniscule, and even if their career PERs end up the same, Rose will have far more defensive value given his superior size.

The bigger question is whether a team can justify taking Rose ahead of Michael Beasley, whose 19.19 is the best mark by anyone in the six years for which I have data. Yes, Beasley appears to be a space cadet and that's troubling, but what these numbers say to me is that the talent disparity is simply too big. That is, unless Beasley is such a train wreck off the court that he sabotages his own career, he's probably going to have much better results than Rose. In fact, you can make a strong case that Kevin Love should rank ahead of Rose on draft boards, as well.

Here's another interesting fact: Rose rated slightly higher as a wing (15.34) than as a point guard. That seems crazy, but he has the size to play the 2 if he has to. Just humor me and store that in the recesses of your brain in case you need to access it in a few years.

Finally, it's notable that Chalmers, though widely presumed to be a fringe first-rounder, rates even with Bayless and pretty close to Rose and Augustin.

--espn

Just on Damon Stoudemire, I mean D.J Augustine, this guy is going to be great. Watching the interviews in recent workouts, he seems a humble, intelligent guy. With a game that is quality I'm really intrigued to follow D.J. No chance he's on the board at #22.

On topic, last years spending spree shows us right now, just how silly the outcome and expenditure has been. We are now in our window of opportunity with very little flexibility to assess the needs and desires of this roster. One of those needs is the pg area.

Its an area of need, like many and I hope we attend it with quality. A lack of quality depth was my stand out issue. Too often the evidence of this squads lack of quality was highlighted through the number of 7-8 man rotations. This needs to change, the quality and depth of talent in this roster must grow. The point guard is only one area.

we DEFINITELY need a PG. jameer is not a PG at all. he's a SG in a PG body. if we trade hedo we'll be screwed cause he's our only PG and he's playing SF.

a starting pg is a must. for this team to beat any really good team in a 7 game series a consistent pg who can defend is paramount. jacklj