Sign in to follow this  
Hutchence

The Official Card Collecting Thread

I have been a pretty serious collector for most of my life. I used to collect football and baseball as well but now I only collect basketball rookie cards. Right now, I have every major rookie from the 80s (except for Jordan's Star XRC) and the 90's all the way up to Yao's rookie year. Probably my two best cards are Bird/Magic's rc card graded PSA 9 and Jordan's Fleer rc graded BCCG 9.

The Bird/Magic rookie card is the biggest dissapointment. It only books for a couple hundred dollars. Even though, with yours being graded that helps alot. That Jordan Fleer is impressive.

Last year I pulled a Brandon Roy rookie 1/1 auto printing plate out of Exquisite. I think there are 5 different printing plates. I sold it for like $1100.

The Exquisite kills me because they are like $500 box for like 5 cards. Usually you get crap but if you pull a Lebron rookie it's worth $13000. We pulled a few Rondo rookies which we were sure we bombed but I basically recouped my money between those and the other cards in the set.

I also have a Santonio Holmes 1/1 NFL logo patch out of SPX graded an 8.5 from BGS.

I would love to see your collection next time I'm down there Hutch. I'll bring a few of my better cards as well. I don't want to list all of them because it will sound like bragging my collection really is big...and expensive. The ex hated it. lol

You're right about the Bird/Magic card...I never understood why it doesn't get more love. Two superstar players that literally kept the league from dying on the same rookie card (along with Dr. J also) and it gets overshadowed by the MJ rookie and even some of the Star XRCs. The one I got was 250 off of Ebay and I selected the buy it now option as soon as i saw it. It has print marks on it so isn't as valuable as a legit PSA9 but i still think i could get 400 for it if I looked hard enough.

Man, I haven't traded cards since I was a kid! I have some duplicates...I will definitely bring them.

Hi !

I collect basketball cards too, especially the Orlando Magic cards...

Are there fans here who have the 20th anniversary set ? I look for one ?

PLMK ! Thank you

i used to love collecting cards (baseball and basketball mostly)...then they started coming out with all these stupid inserts and everything else...all of the pieces of a jersey, signature cards and all the other nonsense It just took the fun out of it for me.

i really should sell off my old collection. I don't think i have anything super special, but it could bring in some nice coin.

from like 93 to 95 i had every player in the nba, well alot of them, even doubles or triples of the obscure players, i'll have to find my book i took pretty good care of them, they're in my closet somewhere i bet. i beleive i had 2 of every magic player from a couple of years.... nothing beats that feeling of opening a new deck and finding a jordan or zo mourning or shaq from back then.

Through out the 90's I'd played basketball at an arena that had a small general store for equipment (shorts, tops etc.). They used to stock cards, so it became a ritual to purchase a packet a week. Its a shame all these good things disappear. The shop is no longer alive and hasn't been for some time. The card craze died a while back as well. From all those cards that I once had, I kept the ones I felt were special, so I have 10 or so special cards that I kept. (lol) But, those were the days.

I used to be really heavy into collecting. REALLY heavy. But I kinda fell out of it about 5 years ago when the game got a little more complicated than I like. The really expensive packs with only a few cards. Having to get your cards graded for them to have any significant value. Not that I have a problem with it - but I actually just enjoy collecting for the hobby more. I still get the occasional pack - and always get some cards for Christmas by people who remember how much I used to love them.

I was pretty heavy into collecting up until about 2 years ago. I still trade every once in a while, but I some awesome stuff.

I had a Chamberlain auto UD Heroes card, Jordan signed g/u floor /23, several Jordan g/u jerseys, a graded Jordan RC, and most of the autographs of the NBA's top 50. However, getting married and having a kid puts an end on that until I can find more money.

My goal is to collect as many Magic player autos (depicted in the Magic uniform) as possible.

You can see what I have left here...

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v499/TMSanders316/Card%20Collection/