Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

J. Hollinger on Pistons/Magic - Results of the Darko trade

quote:
Originally posted by DarkoHero:

I think Stuckey has the better future. Add that Stuck's a rookie and 6' 5". I'd rather have Stuckey than JN.

How do you figure? Stuckey has at least three more seasons of being a back-up to Billups.

Meanwhile, Nelson will be starting alongside the best big man in the NBA. I'd say that Nelson's future looks just a bit better.

Here's what bothers me about Hollinger's comments.

I'm not saying our meltdown of turnover's in the last half of the last 3 losses were Jameer Nelson's fault.

But who's responsibility was it? Who should have taken charge and get the team to play better under control?

The thing is (if im not mistaken) that Stuckey appeared on everyone's radar when it was found out that Joe D was gonna draft him, before that he was a small school unknown. So even if the Magic kept their pics what are the chances they pick him.

Nothing will change the Darko fiasco, but Im happy we got something out of it and Im actually pretty excited about Stuckey, mostly because he shows the right attitude.

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

I don't know what games they watched but Lindsey Hunter played **** good while Stuckey spent both game four and five in foul trouble.

I agree about Hunter, I thought he was the one that really disrupted things.

I disagree with you about L. Hunter, the only one that disrupted our offensive was Dooling.

quote:
Originally posted by 30Assists:

I seem to remember us going on our best runs when Stuckey was out there "guarding" Jameer. Jameer used that kid....

What would expect from a future all star pg. but you have to admit that Stuckey did a good job at least better than Dooling.

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

Here's what bothers me about Hollinger's comments.

I'm not saying our meltdown of turnover's in the last half of the last 3 losses were Jameer Nelson's fault.

But who's responsibility was it? Who should have taken charge and get the team to play better under control?

In this one I agree with you Balljunlkie, This isn't Jameer fault. It Stan fault, because his main job is to make the team play under control and he didn't.

quote:
Originally posted by Live or Die Magic:

quote:
Originally posted by DarkoHero:

I think Stuckey has the better future. Add that Stuck's a rookie and 6' 5". I'd rather have Stuckey than JN.

How do you figure? Stuckey has at least three more seasons of being a back-up to Billups.

Meanwhile, Nelson will be starting alongside the best big man in the NBA. I'd say that Nelson's future looks just a bit better.

Any pg could start on this team. JN is nothing but a backup pg starting for a team without a starting pg. However, Stuckey will likely become an all-star and possibly a Hall of Famer. He's this good as a rookie! Name another pg. in the past that was playing this well as a rookie.

His backing up of C. Billups is nothing. He gets to learn from one of the best in the NBA. It takes a few years for a pg. to develop his potential.

I'm not hating on the Magic, just JN. I've never liked him as a starter. He should not be being paid what he is nor should he be starting except the Magic do not have anyone better.

My point earlier was that a rookie outplayed JN in the 2nd round of the playoffs. If that does not impress you, then you have low expectations from JN and the Magic. I expect better. He's a vetern making way more $$$.

It's very difficult to say very simply that the Pistons got Stuckey and we only have Carlos left.

Carlos Arroyo & Darko for the 15th pick and Kelvin Cato shook out like this.

With the 15th pick Detroit selected Stuckey. We know that. What isn't ever mentioned is the ability to draft Nick Young, Sean Williams, Javaris Crittenton, Rudy Fernandez, etc that the Magic would have had.

Also, with the expiring contract of Kelvin Cato, the Pistons signed Nazr Mahommed. With Nazr Mohammed, the Pistons traded to get Primo Brezec and Walter Herman. Then they traded Brezec to get Juan Dixon.

The Magic picked up Darko and Arroyo in that original trade.

We lost Darko to free agency. But it's not enough to say that his salary cap space allowed the mAgic to sign Rashard. The expiration of G Hill's contract in conjunction with the expiring contract of Penny Hardaway was more than enough for the magic to afford Rashard. Darko's contract coming off the books allowed the Magic to overpay Shard.

And now at the end of this season, we will likely let Arroyo walk.

So in the trade with Detroit, they are left with Stuckey, Herman & Dixon (who both have expiring contracts) currently. We are left with a few extra million tacked onto Rashard's contract and that is it.

stuckey could commit a felony in the offseason or get injured while skiing or choose to follow the path of ricky williams. He could never play again. So why are we even analyzing this right now. Why is espn writing this right now. I can understand them giving LA crap for trading Caron Butler for Kwame brown because that is trading a scrub for an all star. Essentially we traded a draft pick that we believed to be in the mid to late teens (possibly early 20's) and an injured big man that was stealing a bunch of cap, for a veteran point guard and a relatively unknown talent. We didn't like how Darko played inconsistently and decided to ask for a contract that was more then we thought he was worth.

Unfortunately youd like to believe that but we traded cato and our first when we had just picked dwight and were a bad team. We traded rights which were likely lottery rights and protected them for 1 year only. The pick was known to be in the draft which would have 2 years of talent in one....projected to be the deepest in 20 years because of the rule reflecting high schoolers couldnt directly go pro before 1 year of college. Darkos cap space was carried through and wasted when otis didnt trade our expiring contracts so that was a loss too. It was a horrible trade then and has gotten worse now since stuckey hurt us and darko would have helped at the non existent 4 spot.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

It's very difficult to say very simply that the Pistons got Stuckey and we only have Carlos left.

Carlos Arroyo & Darko for the 15th pick and Kelvin Cato shook out like this.

With the 15th pick Detroit selected Stuckey. We know that. What isn't ever mentioned is the ability to draft Nick Young, Sean Williams, Javaris Crittenton, Rudy Fernandez, etc that the Magic would have had.

Also, with the expiring contract of Kelvin Cato, the Pistons signed Nazr Mahommed. With Nazr Mohammed, the Pistons traded to get Primo Brezec and Walter Herman. Then they traded Brezec to get Juan Dixon.

The Magic picked up Darko and Arroyo in that original trade.

We lost Darko to free agency. But it's not enough to say that his salary cap space allowed the mAgic to sign Rashard. The expiration of G Hill's contract in conjunction with the expiring contract of Penny Hardaway was more than enough for the magic to afford Rashard. Darko's contract coming off the books allowed the Magic to overpay Shard.

And now at the end of this season, we will likely let Arroyo walk.

So in the trade with Detroit, they are left with Stuckey, Herman & Dixon (who both have expiring contracts) currently. We are left with a few extra million tacked onto Rashard's contract and that is it.

Truth hurts LOL

I think Stuckey is overrated.

The truth is least they have someone they can use out of the trade, but don't see him becoming a good PG.