Sign in to follow this  
DwightHoward1880

if the refs hadnt blatanly been pro detroit could we have taken it in 5?

gotta love how noble and righteous people are in victory. i still say officiating affected this series for the magic.. win or lose who the hell knows? pistons got the benefit of poor officiating, plain and simple. syaing officating didnt have any effect is just moronic. its like saying missed freethrows didnt, or turnovers didnt. its a cumlative affect. all three doomed the magic. none more or less. two we have control of, one we dont. and in a series like this where the margin of victory is so narrow. you can not say officiating didnt have an effect

quote:
Originally posted by DwightHoward1880:

gotta love how noble and righteous people are in victory. i still say officiating affected this series for the magic.. win or lose who the hell knows? pistons got the benefit of poor officiating, plain and simple. syaing officating didnt have any effect is just moronic. its like saying missed freethrows didnt, or turnovers didnt. its a cumlative affect. all three doomed the magic. none more or less. two we have control of, one we dont. and in a series like this where the margin of victory is so narrow. you can not say officiating didnt have an effect

It does have an impact but like you said it is the one thing we don't have control over. If we hit our free throws we win game 2, 4, and 5. If we don't turn it over so much it's possible that could have the same impact but if we spend our energy trying to resolve the ref issue instead of focusing on the parts we can control we will never get any better.

If you think the officiating went both ways thats terrible. I don't know how many times I saw Dwight just get hammered this series and nothing was called! not that it would matter because he can't make a free throw to save his life but all the pistons would do is run out their 5 big men and hack him all night and half the time the refs weren't calling anything so that strategy worked out exremely well for them as we see. I don't think we lost because of them but they definetly contributed. How about that 3 pointer at the end of the 3rd quarter in game 2??? AND DON'T TELL ME THAT DIDN'T AFFECT THE GAME. Take away the 3 points from them and the score was 97-93 then take away the free throws from us having to foul and its a whole new ball game. The refs were miserable and I can't wait til Dwight has the respect in the league from the refs the way the pistons big guys do such as Rasheed Wallace.

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

quote:
Originally posted by DwightHoward1880:

It does have an impact but like you said it is the one thing we don't have control over. If we hit our free throws we win game 2, 4, and 5. If we don't turn it over so much it's possible that could have the same impact but if we spend our energy trying to resolve the ref issue instead of focusing on the parts we can control we will never get any better.

I agree. It's just that I understand that it is frustrating, and it's no like we can say the Pistons really played that well.

The Pistons shot poorly in game 5 as far as I see, vs a team that is weak defensively... and they also played poorly in different stretches during the series, however they didn't experiment the same losing results as the Magic, maybe in part because of the refs, maybe for other reasons.

Doesn't take away the fact that the Magic need to resolve serious issues, it's just that when you think about that, you know you could be at least in a competitive series right now, but you aren't, in part because of things you can't control like the refs.

However, at the end, the team needs to forget about that and work hard for next year, because what happened can't be reversed, just acknowledged.

Yes, the officiating was moer int he favor of the Pistons... almost rediculously so at some points. How do you overcome that? Don't put them in the position to so easily influence the outcome.

How?

Make your freethrows. Take care of the ball.

That's all.

2 out of 3 major contributing factors (according to this forum) were completely on the Magic.

Forget everything else, if the Magic had fewer turnovers, and shot better from the line, the outcome would have been significantly different.

We played well enough to overcome 2 out of the three. Eliminate 2 out of the three and we played well enough to overcome the one.

Now, I still think we got hosed, especially in game 2. But, other than gripe, there is little else you can do about it.

Yes Intern, this is me agreeing with you a little more about game 2 I suppose, though I still maintain that game was completely rediculous. Between the fubar end of the 3rd and the refs parading the Pistons to the freethrow line for the final 5 minutes, we still had the chance to remove the ref factor by playing better ball.

The Magic got the short end of officiating all series long. And, of course it affected the outcome of each of the games that weren't blowouts. And, sure it sucks for the Magic and Magic fans. Just like it sucked for the Pistons and Pistons fans when Kareem was awarded a phantom call in game 6 of the 1988 NBA Finals. Just like Bryon Russell and the Jazz got hosed with the no call on Michael Jordan's push off in the 1998 Finals. Just like the Mavericks were hosed in the 2006 NBA Finals when Dwyane Wade shot 20 million free throws.

Officiating affects the game. Bad calls and missed calls hurt the teams that lose. The Magic aren't the first team affected by officiating in the playoffs. They won't be the last team affected by officiating in the playoffs.

It's tough luck. Best advise for the Magic players is to find a way to win despite the officiating. That's what great teams do. They find a way to win despite not getting a fair whistle, despite a bad bounce, despite injury, despite missed free throws. Find a way to win anyway.

quote:
Originally posted by Badboys:

Just get bigger in the offseason, Magic.

Bigger???

Hamilton can barely stay upright as it is... what would happen if we got bigger? lol

you mean like a bigger market so we can get the "veteran calls"? im not suggesting freethrows and TO's didnt doom us.maybe they would have , maybe not. but its frustrating as a fan to not get a fair shake at the officiating end. if we're gonna lose let us lose, but to compound things and make the wrong call in critical situations time and time again is unbearable. all i want it a level field of competition. the magic didnt have that oppurtunity and thats not right

Its 50/50. The Magic made themeselves lose and so did the refs. It doesn't matter anymore because the Magic are OUT.