Sign in to follow this  
DwightHoward1880

if the refs hadnt blatanly been pro detroit could we have taken it in 5?

quote:
Originally posted by DwightHoward1880:

game 5 hedo goes to the line twice, jameer none, 4th qusrter there were 4 straight possesions with obvious fouls against the magic that werent called.game 4 hedo drives, maxiel is in the restricted area and theres obvious contact. game 3 speaks for itself. maybe i was watching a different game. im not saying we win or lose, but the officiating did effect the outcome of this series. maybe im a rookie to turning a blind eye to the obvious

DwightHoward1880 no one seems to be agreeing with you man but I kinda do. I agree with everyone else too but the question is "COULD we have won in five?" and if this had been officiated down the middle I honestly believe we COULD have.

Of course if we hand't played so poorly on so many levels that might have helped too, but that's not what this thread asked.

quote:
Originally posted by DarkoHero:

Sorry, but the refs. didn't do it. Bad calls always go to both teams. The Magic just didn't get the job done.

Just like last year, the reasons the Magic lost were turnovers and piss poor free-throw shooting. When will they learn to control the ball and make their free-throws?

"a call or two the other way or a shot or two the other way and it could easily be 3-1 in favor of us" Otis smith in florida today. "our guys have showed great resolve all season. our guys showed the same reasolve detroit did in game 4. the media will always write the result. detroit all the sudden became this team that knows how to win. but i guess they just knew ref mike callahan would drop his hand down." i guess otis, van gundy, and me are all kinda rookies in that respect...

When fans begin to blame refs for lost games a situation goes from sad to just pathetic. If you don't want to lose the game to a bad call, then don't put the refs in the position to be able to do that. Prove you deserve to win by dominating the games you play.

badboys if your pistons had been on the recieving end of bad officiating and in turn it coulda cost them a playoff series and the chance to advance would u still have the same attitude? i serioulsy doubt u'd be saying the same thing that you are now if your teams fortunes were reversed

How many of you saw Bogans dribble the ball out of bounds, yet the ref didn't call it?

Oops, sorry. Didn't mean to watch the game without my blue tinted glasses.

Bad calls went both ways. I saw Sheed and others hack Dwight with no calls. I also saw Sheed guard our player who stumbled out of bounds on his own, and the ref called the foul on Sheed.

Do I think we got a few more bad calls than they did? Probably a few. But for anyone to suggest that this is what cost us the series is suffering from a serious case of Denial.

I tend to agree with what everyone else is saying. The fact of the matter is that the referees did not force the Magic to commit 21 turnovers in game 5, nor did they force Dwight Howard to shoot a horrendous percentage from the line. I guess I can see the argument about Billups' "three pointer" in game 2, but the clock being messed up may have also affected Stuckey's original shot selection. You can argue that point all day with neither side being wrong.

Fact is, the Magic competed admirably but ultimately came up short. I guess a 5'11 point guard who averages 10 points and 5.6 assits per game has no business guaranteeing victory.

quote:
Originally posted by Piston Dynasty:

I guess a 5'11 point guard 10 points and 5.6 assits per game has no business guaranteeing victory.

Nice parting shot.

You're right, but did you go through all the trouble of signing up on this board just to post this? Must be having a slow day.

TOs vs. veteran teams, like the Pistons don't win games.

Missed FTs don't win games.

Bad decisions don't win games.

Waiting for a foul call doesn't win games.

I agree with you DwightHoward1880, the refs did play a part in the outcome of the games, but those games wouldn't have been close if we had played good ball. It should never come down the to the refs making a call for us to win a game. Period.

i just love that as "soft" as we are, according to some pistons' comments, i saw an AWFUL lot of piston players laying on the court. there was a foul called against us where rip was running around a prince screen, and prince GRABBED rip and stopped his momentum causing the defender to run into him from behind....another 'veteran move' by the classy pistons....

i'm just tired of hearing how 'soft' we are. all through the playoffs for us, whether it was toronto or detroit, there were an awful lot of our opponents laying on the hardwood, and it didn't seem to matter who on the magic did it.....

quote:
Originally posted by DwightHoward1880:

badboys if your pistons had been on the recieving end of bad officiating and in turn it coulda cost them a playoff series and the chance to advance would u still have the same attitude? i serioulsy doubt u'd be saying the same thing that you are now if your teams fortunes were reversed

It's all perspective.

In game 7 of the 2007 NBA finals, the refs (out of nowhere) decided that they were going to call a "tight" game, meaning they were going to call every penalty they could.

Now, did this directly hurt a Pistons team that was at the time build to be rough and tough underneath the basket? Of course.

Was this officiating strategy a direct command by the NBA who was scared to death of seeing a booring "grind it out game" on their biggest stage? perhaps.

You just can't let that get to you though as a fan. You can't let yourself believe those things. The Pistons should have beat the Spurs in 5, rather than let game 7 happen, and the Orlando Magic should have shot better free-throws, got more second chance scoring opportunities, and turned the ball over less, instead of picking out a couple ref calls that could have gone a better way for them.

Is it the refs fault that the Pistons have dominated the Magic in the playoffs for the past few years?

Stop blaming the refs!!! The Magic had a great season and gave good effort in the playoffs. That's all I'm going to say on this topic.

Originally posted by Piston Dynasty:

I tend to agree with what everyone else is saying. The fact of the matter is that the referees did not force the Magic to commit 21 turnovers in game 5, nor did they force Dwight Howard to shoot a horrendous percentage from the line. I guess I can see the argument about Billups' "three pointer" in game 2, but the clock being messed up may have also affected Stuckey's original shot selection. You can argue that point all day with neither side being wrong.

Fact is, the Magic competed admirably but ultimately came up short. I guess a 5'11 point guard who averages 10 points and 5.6 assits per game has no business guaranteeing victory./

Oh come one, like Pistons players don't do it all the time! Your boys play rock paper scissors to decide who gets to guarantee victory every time you underachieve against an opponent. BTW, Jameer didn't exactly guarantee a win he simply said he thought the Magic would win. Why play the game if you don't believe you are going to win?