Sign in to follow this  
FENDI

Diener hopes to play somewhere else.

Magic point guard Travis Diener said he wasn't thinking about whether Monday night's game would be his last at Milwaukee's Bradley Center, his home floor when he played at Marquette.

Diener, who becomes a restricted free agent after the season, doubts he figures into the Magic's long-term plans. He is the fourth guard and hasn't been activated the past 10 games.

"You just look at the numbers," said Diener, the Magic's second-round pick in 2006. "We've got Jameer [Nelson], Keyon [Dooling] and Carlos [Arroyo]. So . . . we'll see. I think, I hope, I'll be playing somewhere [next season]."

General Manager Otis Smith said several teams before the trade deadline had expressed interest in Diener, but they wanted him as a third point guard.

"Obviously, it's been frustrating," Diener said. "But I approached it with a smile and just enjoy the opportunity to play basketball every day. There are a lot of people worse off than me. I think sooner or later my chance will come."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/basketball/magic/...8623.story?track=rss

Magic point guard Travis Diener said he wasn't thinking about whether Monday night's game would be his last at Milwaukee's Bradley Center, his home floor when he played at Marquette.

Diener, who becomes a restricted free agent after the season, doubts he figures into the Magic's long-term plans. He is the fourth guard and hasn't been activated the past 10 games.

"You just look at the numbers," said Diener, the Magic's second-round pick in 2006. "We've got Jameer [Nelson], Keyon [Dooling] and Carlos [Arroyo]. So . . . we'll see. I think, I hope, I'll be playing somewhere [next season]."

General Manager Otis Smith said several teams before the trade deadline had expressed interest in Diener, but they wanted him as a third point guard.

"Obviously, it's been frustrating," Diener said. "But I approached it with a smile and just enjoy the opportunity to play basketball every day. There are a lot of people worse off than me. I think sooner or later my chance will come."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/basketball/magic/...8623.story?track=rss

I might have to add Diener to the Magic killer list after he leaves. As I can see, Otis is trying to get him to be a second point guard on a team who would trade him to.

Diener's only chance with this team is a Dooling opt out or Jameer/Carlos trade. Or possibly even both.

It's a darn shame, I'm saying he's Steve Nash at all, but out of all four guys he plays the closest style. Superior team management, hit the 3 when left open.

Whichever team wakes up and realizes how much talent this guy has is going to be pleasantly surprised. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like us.

I fear the same thing might be true about Augie, too.

I'm disappointed with this one. I like Dooling's defense and Carlos makes a pretty good sparkplug, but neither is good enough to unseat Jameer (when he's playing well).

Diener's the best true PG on the roster and I hope the Magic find a way to keep him. Maybe trade Carlos and find a place for Dooling? I just think Diener should be the #2 (or #1, if Jameer relapses).

OK, I've been holding my opinion back for a while now and these are my thoughts on Diener.

I've seen enough of games with Diener in them and his most important time was this year when Carlos was benched right before the trading deadline. It was about a 4 or 5 game stetch if memory serves me right.

There was a reason they put Arroyo back into the line-up. They guy couldn

How can you blame the guy for wanting to play somewhere else? I certainly don't. LetsGoMagic expressed my thoughts exactly. He'll probably wind up in Atlanta. Personally, I'd much rather have Diener out on the floor than Arroyo and sometimes, Nelson.

quote:
Originally posted by LetsGoMagic:

I've seen enough of games with Diener in them and his most important time was this year when Carlos was benched right before the trading deadline.

I don't think anyone has seen enough games from Diener to make a determination. Certainly not enough to relegate him to a career 3rd string status this early in his career.

I think dooling is on record that he's not going to opt out. Stevenson put the fear of God into him. However Diener should sit tight. Looks to me like there is going to be some movement and some players are going to be moved in packages this summer. Everything could change at the PG.

On the other hand I just remembered that Miami wanted Travis. Jwill can't be counted on to play a full season and Payton should probably hang it up soon. They probably will be willing to take a shot at him.

when travis sign for miami and play very good. We see what value we lost.

Brian Hill, if you have dignity FIRE YOURSELF

quote:
Originally posted by LetsGoMagic:

I've seen enough of games with Diener in them and his most important time was this year when Carlos was benched right before the trading deadline. It was about a 4 or 5 game stetch if memory serves me right.

Actually, you're wrong about that. It was only about a two game stretch, and Diener had very limited playing time. The more important stretch was a four game period earlier in the year when Jameer was injured. By the third of those four games, Diener was starting to play so well that even Brian Hill couldn't take him out in the fourth quarter. We went 2-2 in that stretch, with Diener more or less winning the game against Oklahoma for us. Then Jameer came back, and it's been mostly downhill ever since.