The Solution

New General Manager?

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

quote:
Originally posted by The Solution:

quote:
Originally posted by FENDI:

I'm surprised that you;d like to have Otis fired. He's done a remarkable job thus far.

Fendi, please. I don't want him fired. He has not done a remarkable job.

Would you have liked to have had the results of Toronto's GM?

According to your previous post you like every move that Otis has made except signing Deshawn. Why hasn't he done a good job again?

i like all the moves that were mentioned, even the deshawn part. but all that was made before the season started, since then he hasn't done anything. you guys forget that he made some bad moves too like overpaying battie or sleeping at the deadline. i'm not talking about a VC deal, i never liked that idea. i'm talking about not trading for capspace or a draft pick, like hedo for williamson, dice or fortson (that would have given us a backup big). but hedo is playing pretty good in the last few games, maybe he could be used in a s&t. an other thing is not trading diener (hate to say that). i don't know what he plans with him but i think we'll lose him in the offseason for nothing. the rockets offered us mutombo for him, we passed...hmmm

quote:
you guys forget that he made some bad moves too like overpaying battie or sleeping at the deadline.

I guess you forget Battie's value. We were 4-12 without him. He adds leadership and good chemistry on this team. Overpaying Battie is basically going overboard. Many teams would die to acquire someone like Battie.

Sleeping at the deadline? I'm pretty sure that if Otis didn't sleep on the deadline, our team would have no future anymore. Hedo, Darko and Ariza for VC???

quote:

quote:
you guys forget that he made some bad moves too like overpaying battie or sleeping at the deadline.

I guess you forget Battie's value. We were 4-12 without him. He adds leadership and good chemistry on this team. Overpaying Battie is basically going overboard. Many teams would die to acquire someone like Battie.

i never said that battie is useless but he definitly IS overpaid. i mean a 4yr deal, 5$mill per year...for a +30yr old backup? come on...

nobody would have given him that much money, cleveland for example signed pollard for 2mill.

quote:

Sleeping at the deadline? I'm pretty sure that if Otis didn't sleep on the deadline, our team would have no future anymore. Hedo, Darko and Ariza for VC???

read my post again...

Every owner has EVERY GM by the nuts. What a stupid argument this is.

It's not like GMs are the top of the food chain. You guys are being negative for the sake of being negative again. Otis Smithis the one thing about management us fans can be proud of right now.

Everyone loves Darko and Ariza, right? I'm sorry, but who got those two guys here again?

Let's at least wait for this big summer coming up to finish before we lay judgment on him...

quote:
Originally posted by christophergentry110401:

You have your facts wrong. MJ Drafted Kwame Brown because he didn't believe in drafting European Players and that European player he didn't draft is known as Pau Gasol.(PAU GASOL IS OVERRATED)

MJ Didn't Trade Kwame Brown for Caron Butler that was Ernie Grunfeld. Don't believe me see and read for yourself.(I KNOW THAT BUT KWAME WAS THE PIECE THAT WAS USED TO ACQIRE BUTLER)

MJ Was Fired from Washington and They Hired Ernie Grunfeld with in days of MJ's Firing.

read below

August 4, 2005

Washington Wizards President of Basketball Operations Ernie Grunfeld announced today that the team has acquired guard/forward Caron Butler and guard Chucky Atkins from the Los Angeles Lakers in exchange for forward Kwame Brown and guard Laron Profit.

quote:
Originally posted by Skywise316:

Let's at least wait for this big summer coming up to finish before we lay judgment on him...

Sorry guys, Toronto made me realize how good it can be with a good GM. Sorry I started this thread and got you you all upset.

YES, let's see how Otis does this summer.

quote:
(WHY ARE YOU NOT TALKING ABOUT WEISBROD AND OTIS SMITH GIVING AWAY PACHULIA AND VAREJAO FOR NOTHING)

Because Otis Smith had absolutely nothing to do with that trade. What's next? Are we going to blame Otis for drafting Jeryl Sasser?

quote:

quote:
(WHY ARE YOU NOT TALKING ABOUT WEISBROD AND OTIS SMITH GIVING AWAY PACHULIA AND VAREJAO FOR NOTHING)

Because Otis Smith had absolutely nothing to do with that trade. What's next? Are we going to blame Otis for drafting Jeryl Sasser?

If you recall Weibrod was a hockey guy and relied heavily on Otis' opinion. How can you say that Otis was responsible for bringing in Dwight Howard and not responsible for the loss of those two players?

Should we talk about McGrady as well?

A QUOTE FROM JOHN WEISBROD in the 04'summer that Tracy McGrady, Francis, Cato, Mobley, Howard, Nelson, Varejao, Gooden, Battie, Turkoglu, and Pauchulia were on the move:

"Dave Twardzik, and Otis Smith, and Johnny Davis, we were prepared to make certain that we accomplished what we needed to accomplish this summer."

Supposedly the nets wanted an arm, leg and right nad for a player destined to be a free agent this summer...kudos for not giving in but when youre needing an outside shooter to win and have lost bunches in a row Otis pretty much sealed the season...oh well...antother mediocre team, Im used to it.

Ridding the club of francis contract and getting trevor in return...nice job but everybody has pulled the knicks pants down recently...they remind me of what gabe used to do to golden state a few years back. If Otis really deserved great praise from this trade he would have found a way to include garrity....LOL.

Jameer for a future #1 with a bad team currently...horrible...I dont care if we dont use our #1 picks. When you are a bad club you dont trade a future #1 pick without major protection. Protection should have been much better for that trade we were lucky to have had another mediocre year so it wasnt a high pick. But I thought that was weisbrods trade.

Darko and arroyo for an 8-10 million dollar expiring contract and a future and poorly protected #1...terrible trade. That was too much for an unproven talent which will demand in excess of 9 million dollars this summer and we may let walk. Yes darko may prove to be fantastic once Hill is gone but if Darko leaves we got nothing for our trade. Even if we do resign him it will dissolve a huge amount of our cap space....bye bye vince. The pick or the cap space was fair for darko...not both. Oh and by the way I did sleep at a holiday inn last night.

So you would rather have a mid first round pick right now Notorious? We traded a first round pick and Cato's worthless behind for Arroyo and Darko. Otis knew exactly what he was going to get for Arroyo. He hasn't been consistent but since we were also trading Francis we needed another point guard. Too much unproven talent??? What do you think the draft is? Basically we used our draft pick and selected Darko. If he was in the draft today he wouldn't be availabe where we would be selecting so your point is mute.

Solution, I'm not sure why you want to blame McGrady leaving on Otis but its been well chronicled that it was Weisbrod that McGrady had a problem with. He even said last year that he would still be playing for the Magic if Weisbrod wasn't there. I don't know how much Otis had to do with the Pachulla and Varejo trades. What I do know it that when Weisbrod was GM we were making terrible trades left and right. Since Otis has been running it all the trades have been good ones. You basically already agreed with that. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the only problem you have with Otis is that he hasn't fired Hill yet.

quote:

Solution, I'm not sure why you want to blame McGrady leaving on Otis but its been well chronicled that it was Weisbrod that McGrady had a problem with. He even said last year that he would still be playing for the Magic if Weisbrod wasn't there. I don't know how much Otis had to do with the Pachulla and Varejo trades. What I do know it that when Weisbrod was GM we were making terrible trades left and right. Since Otis has been running it all the trades have been good ones. You basically already agreed with that. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the only problem you have with Otis is that he hasn't fired Hill yet.

emory, please go to bed.

Otis, Weisbrod, Twardzik, and Davis were a team. If I had been the Otis on that team Weisbrod would have heard from me big time. Did Otis try and put some sense in Weisbrod's head, I don't know. Was Otis involved in the discussions? YES

The same four guys went over every deal and looked for unanimity. I know because Weisbrod and the Magic showed a video on how the decisions by Weisbrod were made. Let's bring in Otis for an interview- you do the scheduling.

I like the majority of Otis Smith moves since the departure of Weisbrod. I would feel much better with an experienced GM.

Brian Hill, bless his soul, needs food on the table for his family and needs a job. I am sorry Brian but you have to go. Where are you Otis? This is your job.

quote:
Originally posted by The Solution:

quote:

emory, please go to bed.

Otis, Weisbrod, Twardzik, and Davis were a team. If I had been the Otis on that team Weisbrod would have heard from me big time. Did Otis try and put some sense in Weisbrod's head, I don't know. Was Otis involved in the discussions? YES

The same four guys went over every deal and looked for unanimity. I know because Weisbrod and the Magic showed a video on how the decisions by Weisbrod were made. Let's bring in Otis for an interview- you do the scheduling.

I like the majority of Otis Smith moves since the departure of Weisbrod. I would feel much better with an experienced GM.

Brian Hill, bless his soul, needs food on the table for his family and needs a job. I am sorry Brian but you have to go. Where are you Otis? This is your job.

Solution has some very good points regarding Otis. He was a catalyst for pushing Wiesbrod to draft Dwight and Jameer. It's a known and even published fact that Wiesbrod included Varejeo in the Gooden/Battie deal without anybody in the organization being aware of it. But, that doesn't explain why Pachulia was left available in the expansion draft while Garrity was protected. I wish somebody could explain that one to me as well. Bottom Line, allowing two young, athletic front court players go for nothing is a cardinal sin for a GM. Imagine these two off the bench for this team today...

Brian Hill was hired before Otis was even named Co-GM and Fran was drafted a day later with Napoleon pushing for the pick. So, he gets passes there.

But, one has to question the wisdom of leaving yourself short on cap space when you've been touting this offseason for 3 years. Re-signing Battie, questionable, but OK. The one I have a big problem with is Bogans. Why sign Bogans after drafting Redick and letting DeShawn walk?

I know the move was made for insurance on Grant Hill, but that signing is proving to be very short sighted, & that 3M could prove very costly this offseason.

Bottom Line: This is a defining offseason for Otis and I'll reserve judgement until it's over. But, my criticism will be extremely harsh if the offseason ends with something along the lines of Mo Pete or Steve Blake as our major coup. Realistically, anything short of a MAX caliber FA has to be considered not only a disappointment, but a failure considering it has been the stated goal of this organization.

Regarding Jerry West, West is rumored to be leaving Memphis for health reasons and nothing else. He hasn't been limited financially and his results have been rather mixed. He was only operating with restrictions at the beginning of this season because the team was on the market. West's history as a GM speaks for itself. But, he has also signed the likes of Brian Cardinal & Damon Stoudemire to MLE contracts in the past few seasons. Contracts that are killing the Grizz.