Sign in to follow this  
The Solution

New General Manager?

New General Manager?

A strong experienced NBA General Manager usually has a vision for the style of play he desires and seeks out a coach that is a good fit to accomplish this.

Otis and Weisbrod were assembling a team to run before the Devos family brought in Brian Hill, a coach that learned the Fratello style of play.

To this day I have no clue what style of play Otis prefers or wether he has the authority of a General Manager. I don't know what the vision is. Do you?

Look how fast Toronto has turned things around. Bryan Colangelo, the new GM has made Toronto one of the best franchise's in the NBA this year and is expected to be named the GM of the year.

Toronto has won their divison and are headed to the playoffs with more than 2/3 of the players acquired since Colangelo's employment. Do you remember players not wanting to play for Toronto? I do! Ask Vince Carter and McGrady what they think.

Colangelo, former GM of Phoenix and originator of the uptempo play at Phoenix has targeted the European style of play and has stocked the Toronto team with European talent. European players feel comfortable making the transition (Fran Vasquez anyone?). Also Toronto is expected to sign Suns asst. Marc Iavaroni, as their new head coach this summer.

Memphis' Jerry West and Minnesota's Kevin McHale are rumored to be available this summer. Should the Magic ownership be looking to acquire a experienced GM with a big vision and try to turn this franchise around?

New General Manager?

A strong experienced NBA General Manager usually has a vision for the style of play he desires and seeks out a coach that is a good fit to accomplish this.

Otis and Weisbrod were assembling a team to run before the Devos family brought in Brian Hill, a coach that learned the Fratello style of play.

To this day I have no clue what style of play Otis prefers or wether he has the authority of a General Manager. I don't know what the vision is. Do you?

Look how fast Toronto has turned things around. Bryan Colangelo, the new GM has made Toronto one of the best franchise's in the NBA this year and is expected to be named the GM of the year.

Toronto has won their divison and are headed to the playoffs with more than 2/3 of the players acquired since Colangelo's employment. Do you remember players not wanting to play for Toronto? I do! Ask Vince Carter and McGrady what they think.

Colangelo, former GM of Phoenix and originator of the uptempo play at Phoenix has targeted the European style of play and has stocked the Toronto team with European talent. European players feel comfortable making the transition (Fran Vasquez anyone?). Also Toronto is expected to sign Suns asst. Marc Iavaroni, as their new head coach this summer.

Memphis' Jerry West and Minnesota's Kevin McHale are rumored to be available this summer. Should the Magic ownership be looking to acquire a experienced GM with a big vision and try to turn this franchise around?

You are, from now on, BANNED for mentioning Kevin McHale as a possible replacement GM. You are the weakest....GOODBYE!

Seriously, I like what Otis has done here. Just need 1 more piece and a better coach to steer the ship.

I am not recommending any specific GM. I want the members to think about what Toronto has done in a short time with the right guy. Probably should take Kevin's name off the list.

BEST GENERAL MANAGERS In Sports

Jack Gage and Peter J. Schwartz 03.02.07, 6:00 PM ET

http://www.forbes.com/2007/03/02/sports-greatest-gms-biz-cz_jg_0302gms.html

The general manager is the most influential and scrutinized position in sports because he decides how the owner's money is spent on players.

Forbes.com's first-ever proprietary look at GMs in the NFL, NBA, NHL and MLB grades each GM on two yardsticks. First, there's the performance (regular season winning percentage and postseason wins) during the GM's tenure versus the performance of his predecessor. Second, there's the GM's relative (to the league median) payroll compared with his predecessor's relative payroll.

And the NBA's Minnesota Timberwolves GM Kevin McHale tops our list.

Jerry West is the player on the NBA logo and is in the Hall of Fame. This is a good read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_West

What in the world has Otis done wrong? There isn't a GM in the league that tells the coach what a system to run. The best a GM could do is pick a coach that will run a particular system like Colangelo did in Phoenix. Otis inherited Brian Hill so there isn't anything he can do about it.

I wish everyone would quit lumping Otis in with Brian Hill's failures.

I have to disagree with you completely. Otis has assembled a very good team. We just need a new coach and a couple of new pieces. If you ask me, Otis is up there with the best of the NBA. That is, if he fires Brian Hill.

quote:
Originally posted by The Solution:

Maybe Otis needs authority. Do we know what authority he has?

I don't think he has the authority to fire Hill if thats what you're asking.

quote:
Originally posted by The Solution:

Maybe Otis needs authority. Do we know what authority he has?

That's the big mystery. A lot of people seem to like Otis and what he's done here, but how come he continues to support B. Hill? There are 3 possibilities...

1.) He thinks Brian has done a good job

2.) He doesn't want the coach to feel insecure and risk losing a playoff spot

3.) The Devos family has him by the nuts

quote:
Originally posted by nate dizzy:

look at the the powerhouse that jerry west has built

Memphis has put severe limitations on Jerry West because of financial difficulties and the team is up for sale. Jerry West is considered a sharp competent GM.