Sign in to follow this  
Fern1960

Ok, let's be realistict and name the free agents PG's for 07-08....

Ok, magic need to make a change at the PG position (starting position). Question is who is out there? Please don't throw names like Chucky Atkins and or Darrrel Armstrong. Only players that can really team up with DHoward as the one/two punch for the magic... One that really plays at both ends and is a "true PG"....

Let's start with the best...

t1_billups.jpg

Ok, magic need to make a change at the PG position (starting position). Question is who is out there? Please don't throw names like Chucky Atkins and or Darrrel Armstrong. Only players that can really team up with DHoward as the one/two punch for the magic... One that really plays at both ends and is a "true PG"....

Let's start with the best...

t1_billups.jpg

Who says we need to sign a free agent point guard? We have Jameer, Arroyo, Turk, Bogans + fillers as trade bait. I say we trade for a PG and sign Gerald Wallace via free agency.

with chauncey we would become a contender immediately, there's no doubt for me. he should definitly be our first pick in this years FA. but we also should have a second option, just for the case. i can't see toronto dealing calderon and we'd have to overpay blake if we want him here. but i don't really think he could solve our problems. if we can't get billups, i say sign one of the the greek PG papaloukas or diamantidis.

quote:
with chauncey we would become a contender immediately, there's no doubt for me. he should definitly be our first pick in this years FA. but we also should have a second option, just for the case. i can't see toronto dealing calderon and we'd have to overpay blake if we want him here. but i don't really think he could solve our problems. if we can't get billups, i say sign one of the the greek PG papaloukas or diamantidis.
While I like the idea of signing an international player, I think its a risk mainly because we don't know whether how fast or how well they can translate and adopt to the NBA game.

I can guarantee there won't be a change because there was a sign of improvement by Jameer Nelson as being a point guard.

His first shot attempt came in the 2nd half.

The reason for his low assists is because he passed the ball to other players that got his assists. If you happen to have recorded the game, you'll see that.

The only FA's that fit our need for a better defensive playmaking PG is Billups and Blake.

I doubt either will leave their current teams. Trading for one will likely be our best option.

Calderon would be a guy I would love to get, good defender and an assist machine. Toronto already has big money tied up in TJ Ford and will have problems paying to retain Calderon when he becomes an unrestricted FA next year.

It might be our best interest to give Jameer another year to prove himself and then go after Calderon next summer if Jameer does not make huge strides.

If he is going to be an unrestricted FA next season, maybe Tor would be willing to deal now. They are going to have a lot of money tied up in TJ, Chris and I think they are still looking for a center (they want Darko from what we were reading before the trade deadline). Carlos or Jameer would work decent in that wide open style that Collangelo wants to run, especially if they get rid of Mitchell and bring in Ivoroni.

I could see either Carlos or Jameer coming in for them in a Barbosa type role backing up Ford.

quote:
Originally posted by O-dub:

I can guarantee there won't be a change because there was a sign of improvement by Jameer Nelson as being a point guard.

His first shot attempt came in the 2nd half.

The reason for his low assists is because he passed the ball to other players that got his assists. If you happen to have recorded the game, you'll see that.

True, but part of being a point guard is setting your teammates for a better shot selection.

If we're going to be realistic then Billups nae shouldn't even pop up. He's going to get a max contract of 16 milion per. So, in order for us to sign him we would be forced to trade 2-3 other players while watching Darko walk.

Not worth it in my opinion, and next to impossible to pull off.