Sign in to follow this  
The Solution

JJ and Diener defensive liabilities

It is clear that Brian Hill does not play JJ and Diener because he believes they are defensive liabilities.

Both JJ and Diener have so many excellent qualities that you wonder how their marginally less defensive skills can overshadow good ball handling skills, good passing, good court vision, low turn overs, and 3 point range with accuracy.

In my opinion, Brian Hill gravitates to defense as the most important quality because that is the part of the game that he best understands and likes.

I agree that JJ and Diener need to be play better defense; but to overlook all the other superior qualities for a very slight difference in defense ability is missing the big picture.

Added bit of interest-

What LA Lakers look for in a point guard:

The history of point guards in Phil Jackson's system tells us that the Lakers only need two things from their PG: An ability to hit an open jump shot and the willingness to play good defense. Despite everyone thinking that Jason Kidd would be the savior of this team, I'm not sure that a traditional point guard of Jason's caliber would work in this system (see: Payton, Gary). The Lakers don't need a great play making point guard that always needs the ball like Kidd, but a role player type (in the mold of Derek Fisher) that plays tough aggressive defense, and hits the three-point shot with accuracy.

http://nba-rumors.aolsportsblog.com/

I don't believe any of our point guards would be good enough for Jackson on defense and Arroyo does not have 3 point range.

It is clear that Brian Hill does not play JJ and Diener because he believes they are defensive liabilities.

Both JJ and Diener have so many excellent qualities that you wonder how their marginally less defensive skills can overshadow good ball handling skills, good passing, good court vision, low turn overs, and 3 point range with accuracy.

In my opinion, Brian Hill gravitates to defense as the most important quality because that is the part of the game that he best understands and likes.

I agree that JJ and Diener need to be play better defense; but to overlook all the other superior qualities for a very slight difference in defense ability is missing the big picture.

Added bit of interest-

What LA Lakers look for in a point guard:

The history of point guards in Phil Jackson's system tells us that the Lakers only need two things from their PG: An ability to hit an open jump shot and the willingness to play good defense. Despite everyone thinking that Jason Kidd would be the savior of this team, I'm not sure that a traditional point guard of Jason's caliber would work in this system (see: Payton, Gary). The Lakers don't need a great play making point guard that always needs the ball like Kidd, but a role player type (in the mold of Derek Fisher) that plays tough aggressive defense, and hits the three-point shot with accuracy.

http://nba-rumors.aolsportsblog.com/

I don't believe any of our point guards would be good enough for Jackson on defense and Arroyo does not have 3 point range.

Is it just me, or does everyone else see that we get torched by mediocre SG's ALL THE TIME!!! It appears that Brians "Better Defenders" are not getting the Job Done. Put in JJ, he's got something to prove and he can knock down an open Shot.

I think this may get locked......but.......

I agree, he is a defensive minded coach even though we have given up more 30 point games to guards then I can count right now......

IMO dooling is one of the most overrated players on this team, an yet he gets most of the minutes at sg....

If he thinks JJ and Diener are defensive liabilities than why doesn't he feel the same way about Grant,Hedo,Jameer,and Carlos? They're all sub par defenders. I just think B.Hill is a retard and that's why JJ doesn't play.

well, nelson and arroyo aren't DOY candidates either...

btw... rich, i totally agree with u about dooling. hes undersized and selfish...a wannabe SG, hes a backup PG in my eyes. the one think i like about him is his D...

quote:
Originally posted by Kberto:

If he thinks JJ and Diener are defensive liabilities than why doesn't he feel the same way about Grant,Hedo,Jameer,and Carlos? They're all sub par defenders. I just think B.Hill is a retard and that's why JJ doesn't play.

They are Quote;unquote veterans..... We all know how he loves veterns........

Crazy u notice how evey time he guards someone quick he has to sit out a couple games because of his leg, he is an overrated defender to, I bet after guarding A.I he will be out probally a month..........

Turk, Grant, Carlos, Bo, Garrity all get schooled on a nightly basis. And all of those guys end up fouling there player or giving up a big play because they are not good defenders. Nelson is really any better at times. But JJ and Deiner are a way better option than the 5 mentioned above.

I dont care if JJ was the worst defensive player in the league (aka pat garrity) he can shoot and spread the floor. That is the piece of offense most missing from this club and causes alot of their losses. When the guards play well and hit outside shots theyre a tough team to match up with. JJs defensive liability is minimum compared with the offense and the ability to spread the floor for dwight and darkos inside games. His presense makes those two much more effective. That being said...Brian Hill just doesnt get it....he thinks shortsitedly and cant grasp the whole picture...

JJ Reddick has always been a defensive liability, even at Duke. He's a below average ball handler, and there's no way that he will be able to create his own shot consistently in the NBA. That's probably another reason as to why he's not getting any PT, as the Magic coaches are probably working him non-stop on his handles in practice.

Who is JJ and Travis supposed to get experience against if they don't get playing time? In practice they play against their own guys. In order to get experience they must play different guys from different teams and learn how to adjust. JJ has only played a handful of games. Is that supposed to be enough to determine that he is or isn't a liability? If the team is not scoring points which is how you win games, then defense isn't their own only problem. Good defense and no points doesn't win games. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.