Sign in to follow this  
the Judge

do these boards reflect the ethno-centric nature of humans?

Sadly, it seems rather obvious. Now that we are near season's end, I thought it would be beneficial for all to try to analyze what has happened here.

Needless to say, I am talking about the animosity that has developed among Puerto Ricans and Americans in discussing Carlos Arroyo. Someone likened this situation to the West Side Story script, quite fittingly. It is very unfortunate that this has happened, because originally the arrival of Arroyo signaled the opposite

Sadly, it seems rather obvious. Now that we are near season's end, I thought it would be beneficial for all to try to analyze what has happened here.

Needless to say, I am talking about the animosity that has developed among Puerto Ricans and Americans in discussing Carlos Arroyo. Someone likened this situation to the West Side Story script, quite fittingly. It is very unfortunate that this has happened, because originally the arrival of Arroyo signaled the opposite

This argument will never end. Everyone has made up their mind one way or another how they feel about the situation.

I aprreciate your efforts to lay out the problem in an objective and non bias way not taking sides.

For some people they rather make this something other than a basketball discussion, and try to place the blame somewhere it doesn't belong. Unfortunately, I don't see this feud ending anytime soon. In fact this thread will probably turn into another argument.

Speaking as fan of the Orlando Magic as a team and not a certain player. We see a lot of those who follow their favorite player and not the team in general. This holds true for players other than Carlos, JJ and Darko have contingents that came to these boards to follow their favorite player. As a whole these fans see "their guy" above others and want him to play regardless. Which frustrates us who don't care as much as who plays, but only if they are our best chance to win now or in the future (i.e player developement).

quote:
They also have a tendency to blindly attribute anything they dislike to racial discrimination, even where there is no evidence of it.

I think this is the point that makes Carlos's fans harder to deal with, as well as the fact the are the most rabid of the bunch. I am glad to see so much National Pride, but what someone does for their National team has no bearing on how much they play in the NBA. The International game has different rules that favors different skillsets.

Right now this whole team has played poorly and none should be happy with their performances so far this year.

The issue of a "favorite player" vs. "team fan" is debatable to me.

A team is composed of a group of players at a certain time, not just a city or a town. Some old Baltimore Colts fans today follow the Indianapolis Colts, some like the Baltimore Ravens.

How many fans do the Chicago Bulls have before Michael Jordan? How about while MJ was there? How about after?

A fan can follow a player, a team, a city or whatever. By its own definition, a "fan" is not meant to be a totally objective person in regards what he is a fan of.

Great thread Judge!

When Carlos first got here we were all very happy about how he played and how he helped us win.

Shortly after just about every thread had some sort of Carlos spin to it. If Jameer missed a basket (this was when he was playing well)there were multiple threads popping up about how Jameer stunk and Carlos should start.

I agree that the disagreement has to do with human nature, but I don't think it is because of ethnocentricity. If someone tells you day after day after day, that something is the best and every where you turned you saw people saying how this thing is the best (my favorite is the repeating of how PR beat team USA and that Carlos was better than US players because of this)you eventually get burnt out. I believe that this is what happened. When Carlos has a good game, no one wants to talk about it because it gets rubbed in their faces. People want him traded just so they don't have to hear about him anymore.

Think about this, if your favorite group has a new song on the radio, and the radio stations play that song a million times don't you eventually get sick of that song?

It's Arroyo-fatigue, the more people defend him, the more people get tired of hearing about him and they lash out, which causes his fans to get defensive and attack back. That is why this will never end.

Marc

Thank you for your response and encouraging my thread.

It is true that I would get sick of a song that gets overplayed, and believe me I (and most Puerto Ricans believe it ir not) get sick of extremist Arroyo fans. Now I'm not sure that takes into account the (B) side of my original post above.

When CA was the backup of Chauncey Billups hardly anyone complained. The fact that there is a true controversy happenning naturally fuels the sentiment in those who follow the affected player, and that seems not to be understood by those who argue against Arroyo.

And why blame a population, and Arroyo himself who has been classy all along, for a few angry posters?

I can't really speak for what happened when he was backing up Chauncey. I still think the PG controversy, is an after thought when it comes to arguements.

"And why blame a population, and Arroyo himself who has been classy all along, for a few angry posters?"

You are absolutely right, the vocal minority ruins it for the majority. Here is an example, say I am having a discussion about PG's. Then 5 fanatics jump in and Arroyo me to death, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The next time I am having a PG discussion, you post your honest opinion about Carlos but, I still have that bad taste in my mouth. So I take it out on you. That is what happens here. It's not that you didn't have a valid point or that you were not honestly trying to contribute to the board, it's just that by the time you have talked to me, I am sick and tired of "hearing that song" already.

It doesn't make any of this right, it's just an explanation for what is happening.

quote:
Originally posted by the Judge:

Another person gazes through my sights on the Orlando Magic point guards.

As I have mentioned many times on this board, all Orlando Magic point guards are equivalent in skill from most of it leaning to defense or to offense.

Me? I'm not a Carlos Arroyo fan, I'm an Orlando Magic fan so actually I defend this whole team from criticism and thats including Arroyo himself.

Sure and I'll admit it, I'm the one who started the "Carlos Officially Sucks" thread but Arroyo really didn't really suck at all. In fact, Arroyo is better than anyone thats part of this forum including me.

Carlos was struggling through the worst and most exhausting slump of his young career. Finally being benched by Brian Hill, It's just time for Arroyo to learn what he's doing wrong. I want Carlos to play to superstar status including his teammates. Hope Carlos gets off that bench by showing that he's improved on his weaknesses and generated the strengths of a true point guard.

GO MAGIC!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

I still think the PG controversy, is an after thought when it comes to arguements.

An after thought?

Marc, Arroyo and Nelson in the long run have been almost equal in production (statistics-wise), and the coach has treated these two players vastly different. How could one not expect some to sense unfairness and express it in these boards? Do you really think that the PG controversy is just "an after-thought" in this whole issue?

NOTE: This is NOT another basketball PG discussion, it is a discussion about how Magic posters an people in general react)

I deeply congratulate Arroyo after Arroyo has an above average game but others think different than me.

All of the Orlando Magic players have the capability to score thirty plus every night

probably but they are to inconsistent to keep an efficient streak going.

Let Me See:

Jameer Nelson: Capable Shooter, Passer, defender

Travis Diener: over average shooter, over average passer, average defender(many people say that Travis doesn't have defense but I think the opposite)

Carlos Arroyo: average shooter, over average passer, average defender

Keyon Dooling: average shooter, Over average passer, over average defender.

A variety of arguments light up according to the capabilities of certain point guards. If you really take a look at the Magic point guards, we may have the best point guard future in the NBA on the count of our point guard combination.

With minor rotations of players, this team may be able to sprue up something hot and boiling. However, many people can't see that.