Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Will Magic use J.J. to move up in Draft? (Schmitz blog)

Maggette with the MLE would be amazing but I think Pietrus might be more realistic.

I'm not opposed to the idea of trading JJ to move up in the draft but history shows us that we don't draft well outside the top 5 plus we're contenders now or at least a playoff bound team for the foreseeable future and we already have young big man prospects in Gortat and Fran. I doubt a rookie is going to join our team next year and play a serious role or any role at all really.

I'd rather see if we can work a trade including JJ for maybe a PF that's already a proven commodity because I just don't see Stan playing a rookie big minutes on a team with aspirations of winning a championship.

It's funny, you guys stress defense, yet you want to bring in a guy like Pietrus that plays absolutely none and Maggette that plays D every once and awhile.

Which is it? Do we want defense from that position or another scorer?

quote:
Originally posted by Kberto:

It's funny, you guys stress defense, yet you want to bring in a guy like Pietrus that plays absolutely none and Maggette that plays D every once and awhile.

Are you out of your mind????

Pietrus is a premier defender. He can guard 1-5 and does so on a nearly nighty basis, with tremendous tenacity and success I might add.

Don't confuse the fact that he's on a team that plays no defense to the fact that individually he doesn't play defense.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:

Are you out of your mind????

Pietrus is a premier defender. He can guard 1-5 and does so on a nearly nighty basis, with tremendous tenacity and success I might add.

Don't confuse the fact that he's on a team that plays no defense to the fact that individually he doesn't play defense.

Sure, he can guard 1-5 poorly if that's what you want. You need to get your head checked if you think he's some kind of premier defender. Being a good athlete doesn't make you good on defense.

and I know you're going to come back and say i'm dead wrong. So let's just agree to disagree.

I would say, he's a huge improvement over anything we have now.

quote:

Sure, he can guard 1-5 poorly if that's what you want. You need to get your head checked if you think he's some kind of premier defender. Being a good athlete doesn't make you good on defense.

Apparently you haven't watched him play much.

He only averages 20mpg with Golden State because his coach doesn't put a premium on defense. But when he's in the game, he is there to lock down his opposition, which is why he is top 10 in the league in steals and blocks per 48min.

Sadly, I doubt we'll find much value in JJ. We've bad mouthed him for 2 years and it's widely known he wants out. JR Smith has twice been traded, once for another mid 1st round washout in Kirk Snyder & a 2nd rounder. There are teams who would be intrigued by JJ, but his overall NBA value has to be considered lower than Smith's IMO.

Pietrus is widely respected as a tenacious defender NBA players hate going against due to his intensity. He's largely credited with shuting down Dirk in GS upset last season. IMO, he's most effective against guards, and rarely gets that matchup playing for GS as he typically plays F. I've gone back & forth on Pietrus. I love his defensive intensity. He has untapped offensive potential that I question he'll ever fulfill. But, Pietrus is a quality guy & team player who plays with effort that would fit well in what this team covets. If we somehow landed Pietrus & Duhon, I think both would be ideal fits into this team & organization.

DA is an interesting topic. I'm pretty sure he intends to retire. But, he's the kind of guy who's presense on a team isn't measured on the court and that was apparent when we let him go. He's a guy who keeps team moral high, lifts the intensity of practices, and keeps players focused during the NBA grind. The impact of team chearleaders like DA, ML Carr, & Mark Madsen is very underrated.

its ok ur jus used to arroyos outstanding d, and no one else's will suffice. its hard to settle i kno

killer i love your idea of pietrus and duhon, much more so than magette(altho i like that idea too), but not quite as much as id like jamison here

and everyone acts like jjs only worth a 2nd. this is a guy that we spent the 11th pick on just two years ago, and many other teams wouldve done the same. a team with a need for a shooter, and no patience for a project would give up a late 1st for him. and a team with considerably less talent and depth than ours would probably part with their late lotto pick for him and our pick

quote:

and I know you're going to come back and say i'm dead wrong. So let's just agree to disagree.

Then you alos disagree with the experts that wrote this:

"Athletically he is an explosive leaper capable of creating some impressive dunks

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:

Then you alos disagree with the experts that wrote this:

"Athletically he is an explosive leaper capable of creating some impressive dunks